Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

If they do go i'd expect we would be looking at Wasps / Worcester coaching staff of Lee Blackett or Steve Diamond as available & free.

Still think its mighty risky for Borthwick to jump now, only 2yrs into a head coach role & the game against SCO in the 6N just 8weeks away with no opportunity to oversee a training period until its time to pick for the 6N itself. I know he will be cut some slack but at the same time have a nightmare in the 6N & your up against it from the start.

I'm aware they untimately wanted a homegrown coach to takeover in the longer term but again that was going to be a structured handover proabably after the w/cup & again realise the timeframe would be the same then as it is now but expectations & forecast is different now, we are going into a W/Cup year not coming out of 1.

If assigned after the W/Cup your kind of in a win win situation whether ENG had a shocker or actually won the thing, lines are drawn its a new program period & probably a changing over of the older guard (players) & re-set for the next 4yrs, this year your picking from the same pool of players because you don't want to disrupt to much going into w/cup whether it needs it or not because its your w/cup.

Why would they not look at Mark McCall or Rob Baxter both have a mountain of coaching experience & won eveything in the club game, its like they have just accelerated Borthwick due to what happened last season.

I still think why not Scott Robertson, he wants into test rugby & at some point the All Blacks will want him why not give him 4yrs whilst Borthwick gains further experience, also is Borthwick really ready to take the boring day to day coaching roll of an International coach just as he is cutting his teeth, there's plenty of time Steve.

10 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

If they do go i'd expect we would be looking at Wasps / Worcester coaching staff of Lee Blackett or Steve Diamond as available & free.

Still think its mighty risky for Borthwick to jump now, only 2yrs into a head coach role & the game against SCO in the 6N just 8weeks away with no opportunity to oversee a training period until its time to pick for the 6N itself. I know he will be cut some slack but at the same time have a nightmare in the 6N & your up against it from the start.

I'm aware they untimately wanted a homegrown coach to takeover in the longer term but again that was going to be a structured handover proabably after the w/cup & again realise the timeframe would be the same then as it is now but expectations & forecast is different now, we are going into a W/Cup year not coming out of 1.

If assigned after the W/Cup your kind of in a win win situation whether ENG had a shocker or actually won the thing, lines are drawn its a new program period & probably a changing over of the older guard (players) & re-set for the next 4yrs, this year your picking from the same pool of players because you don't want to disrupt to much going into w/cup whether it needs it or not because its your w/cup.

Why would they not look at Mark McCall or Rob Baxter both have a mountain of coaching experience & won eveything in the club game, its like they have just accelerated Borthwick due to what happened last season. 

I still think why not Scott Robertson, he wants into test rugby & at some point the All Blacks will want him why not give him 4yrs whilst Borthwick gains further experience, also is Borthwick really ready to take the boring day to day coaching roll of an International coach just as he is cutting his teeth, there's plenty of time Steve.

The plan was for Borthwick to join in the summer and supervise the WC preparation - it was called 'Project Everest'. 

Baxter is an interesting point - a Welshmen asked me 'do you think Tigers will step in and fight it or Borthwick have reservations?'. I cited Baxter and his success at Exeter as an example about missing the best moment to take the job. Borthwick won't want to miss the chance. Baxter has made a fair few enemies at RFU with his regular criticism of the rest programme - as well as his contempt still about Sarries. 

La Rochelle acted quick on O'Gara which suggest someone how realistic or not made a telephone call there 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

The plan was for Borthwick to join in the summer and supervise the WC preparation - it was called 'Project Everest'. 

Baxter is an interesting point - a Welshmen asked me 'do you think Tigers will step in and fight it or Borthwick have reservations?'. I cited Baxter and his success at Exeter as an example about missing the best moment to take the job. Borthwick won't want to miss the chance. Baxter has made a fair few enemies at RFU with his regular criticism of the rest programme - as well as his contempt still about Sarries. 

La Rochelle acted quick on O'Gara which suggest someone how realistic or not made a telephone call there 

Your probably right in the 'grab with both hands now because you don't know if it will come round again' i'm sure it would but even if it doesn't go all to plan he'll be able to carve himself out a decent career ala Stuart Lancaster who's a better coach now for it.

Baxter yeah was very vocal over the whole Sarries thing i remember, i wonder if he / they can over look that?
I have a feeling Exeter are 1 of the other 2 clubs that were struggling financially when the whole Wasps/Worcester mess came out, they are selling off a stake in the hotel owned by the club to help pay off CV19 loans & whilst Exeter were bashing Sarries you couldn't help but think are they cooking the books also with the amount of big names they had on the books & then those coming in around that time, Hogg for instance, so maybe with that in mind & the fact he's been there for 13yrs he would be looking for a new challenge.

With Tigers being very quiet & allegedly rolling a planned news conference from yesterday to Friday does point to him being unveiled as new ENG coach sadly

Contract extension for Baxter puts paid to him getting ENG job

Edited by BKLFox

13 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Somewhat of an arm wrestle against a very experienced Ospreys side but a bit of brilliance from Watson secures the points 👍 

Shows the depth of the squad nowadays.  I know the Welsh regions aren’t as strong as in the past but to go there without so many first choices and to win was something we’d have never been able to do pre Borthwick era. Even with all the changes though we still looked a strong team on paper. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63946473

Premiership Rugby to 'relaunch' for 2024-25 after demise of Wasps & Worcester

By Chris Jones
BBC rugby union correspondent
Last updated on12 December 202212 December 2022.

Thirteen clubs started the 2022-23 Premiership season, with Wasps and Worcester since being suspended and relegated after going into administration
The 2024-2025 season will see a rebirth of Premiership Rugby, as the league looks to recover from a turbulent period off the field.

It comes after the demise of Wasps and Worcester, with both clubs going out of business this campaign.

One of the architects of The Hundred in cricket has come on board as the league looks to re-establish its identity.

"It is essentially a relaunch of the league," Premiership Rugby boss Simon Massie-Taylor told BBC Sport.

"We need to start moving towards a new system. It needs to look and feel a bit different."

Massie-Taylor added: "Events moved quickly when it came to Wasps and Worcester, which only reinforced the issues we need to solve.

"The only real positive of this very sad situation is it has given further momentum to quite a few changes within the system."

Premiership Rugby's four areas of emphasis
With next season a "transitionary year" as the English game resolves its structural issues - as well as it being the last year of the existing Professional Game Agreement (PGA) - Premiership Rugby has outlined four main areas of emphasis going forward:

The establishment of an independent financial monitoring panel, which will oversee all club finances, in a bid to avoid the fate that befell Worcester and Wasps.
A new sporting commission, which would be independently chaired and make decisions on behalf of the league.
Finalising the new PGA, with the biggest area of focus the structure of the English professional game going forward, and a clear vision of what the second-tier Championship looks like and how promotion and relegation will work.
Commitment to the growth plan, with an aim to continue to build the league's fanbase, using experience from cricket competition The Hundred to engage a new audience.
The opaque nature of club finances - and the failure to act on a number of warning signs when it came to Wasps and Worcester - has forced the league into an urgent reappraisal, with Premiership Rugby needing much greater access when it comes to club accounts - as is the case in France's professional leagues.

"The key words are financial discipline," explained Massie-Taylor.

"We need to have much more regular reporting, and you need a system where you have regulations in place that create better discipline.

"But it is forward-looking as well. Clubs have been supportive of this and see the need for it, and we are in the process of recruiting an independent chair who will do a full review and come up with detailed recommendations.

"In the meantime we have better financial information to help manage some of the short-term issues that may come up in the current economic environment."

Meanwhile, the sporting commission would "simplify how decisions are made" in a bid to avoid the conflict that has hamstrung decision-making.

The commission would include three independent figures, including a recently retired player, as well as an independent chairperson.

"We are trying to be a bit more fleet-of-foot when we are making decisions, and take the conflict out," Massie-Taylor said.

"The clubs recognise all this and a lot of them have been pushing for change for a while, and we are using this opportunity to get this right."

Restoring promotion and relegation
As it stands there is no relegation to the Championship next season, although a team can be promoted to the top-flight if they pass the required standards.

The long-term structure therefore remains up in the air, with the Premiership currently consisting of 11 teams after Wasps' and Worcester's relegation.

Either way, strengthening the second tier to ensure a robust promotion and relegation system in the future is now a priority.

"There is an extreme willingness to have a more aligned second tier, because we think that will help it grow," said Massie-Taylor.

"How that works is a topic of conversation at the moment, and linked to that is what happens next season as far as promotion and relegation, because we obviously need to let our Championship colleagues know the rules of engagement.

"You want a Championship which clubs feel more comfortable relegated into. And you also want something where Wasps and Worcester are germinated back to being a successful club again - because we want Wasps and Worcester back in the Premiership."

As far as commercial growth is concerned, Rob Calder - former commercial director of The Hundred - has joined Premiership Rugby as chief growth officer as the league looks to build its fanbase and start a new chapter in its history.

"He was one of the architects [of The Hundred] and was in the room as they were putting the whole thing together," explained Massie-Taylor.

"He understands the challenges we are trying to solve. The 2024-2025 season is that opportune moment to establish what we are, and that is part of his job."

Clubs roll on but this will be a massive loss, he has done a sort of Pearson job in turning the club around as it was heading down fast.

It hurts because you can see what was happening and getting really excited for the future, Tigers we’re getting the respect back and top players are looking to join again now we back into the unknown although I’m imagine Deacon will hold the reins in the short term.

Hopefully the club dip into rugby league to scout another defence coach as im sure Sinfield will go with Borthwick.

Another person who may go and someone who doesn’t get the limelight but has a huge impact on the team is Aled Walters.
I’ve never known a Tigers team so fit, the strength and conditioning he does allows for everything else to happen, how he gets some of those lumbering giants through 80minutes and still looking fresh is unbelievable.

This team seems to get stronger as the clock ticks down, I don’t feel we will lose a game due to the opposition being fitter than us and that’s all down to him, huge loss if he departs as part of a trio.

Obvious replacements will be coaches from Wasps/Worcester set ups I’d imagine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Rumours I read were that Walters being Welsh has no interest in being involved with the English international team. 

Really hope they don’t touch Diamond with a barge pole 

Walters has done NZ, OZ & SA International roles that'll be a serious chip if he turns down a role for being Welsh, it hasn't done Farrell or Edwards much harm in their careers & he is at an English club after all, but yes i get where your coming from.

Yep same on Diamond i'd sooner look at the Wasps coaching set up for replacements between the 2 that's for sure. Diamond's in a consortium process of buying Worcester so hopefully rules him out anyway.

Edited by BKLFox

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rachhere said:

Slightly nightmarish injury list at the moment. No idea why we signed Pollard, and I still miss Moroni

We have a big enough squad to cope - pollard was indeed an odd signing given that he wouldn’t really be available until after the s African summer internationals and then the autumn games. We couldn’t have expected him to be injured. Of course he could have a storming second half to the season. 

Wouldn’t read to much into that result injuries did for us, when you see JVP start at 9, move to 15 and finish the game at 10 you know it’s not been your night.

Pollard will come good he did more than expected last night coming back from injury he came off knackered not injured he needs games.

Moroni was 1 of my favourite players also but Kelly and Porter are better together, younger, quicker and we’re both called up by Jones to play ENG centres prior to Kelly being injured I would expect they will both be in Borthwicks mind for 6N squad and not just because he was their coach.
We also have Scott in reserve and young Cokanasiga who needs to start breaking through I guess keeping Moroni was to much of a costly luxury.

Shame for Burns because he was making that 10 slot his own but again Atkinson is the future and now he will get a good run of games switching & learning from Pollard as they both get up to speed.

Sarries will top the pile for sure, we have some big players injured currently all would fit into our strongest 15 so whilst they recover we just need to keep chasing down a top 4 finish but with losing the coach halfway through a season, injuries to main players, then a 6N where Tigers have now got back to providing core players to internationals I can reel off 8 to 10 right now which will severely hinder our squad selection given the positions they are, so finishing in the top 6 might be deemed a bloody good season.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1