Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Prem salary cap is £5m (+ marquee) is it not? 8 of Leinster’s squad are on central contracts so not paid by Leinster. There’s no public figure I can find at their actual wage bill but it’s estimated a £11-£12 million. Obviously the 10 times is hyperbole but if you look at the resources they have and the size of their squad/academy, it’s not even close to a level playing field with English clubs. I don’t think you can compare it to football either. The Irish players play less therefore, like tonight, are clearly fitter in the second half. 

Yes you’re right - it’s been reduced down to £5m + marquee (although I think some academy players also sit outside ) .  
your other points are relevant but let’s see how sarries deal with them if they stay in the competition 

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Yes you’re right - it’s been reduced down to £5m + marquee (although I think some academy players also sit outside ) .  
your other points are relevant but let’s see how sarries deal with them if they stay in the competition 

I suspect Sarries would also get beaten quite comfortably on a flat track. They’re not the same side as the 2016-19 era although again it’s hard to compete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I suspect Sarries would also get beaten quite comfortably on a flat track. They’re not the same side as the 2016-19 era although again it’s hard to compete. 

I hope we see sarries up against them - to see what tactics McCall employs 

I thought our midfield was the main reason we lost tonight - both defensively where we were v naive at least twice and also in attack they failed to exploit the two or three occasions where we manipulated numbers out wide. (Whilst the game was alive).

This is how European clubs (not Barca psg, Bayern or real)  feel when faced with the financial  might of the PL big six (take out yanited ) where they have to compete in the champions league against them 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I hope we see sarries up against them - to see what tactics McCall employs 

I thought our midfield was the main reason we lost tonight - both defensively where we were v naive at least twice and also in attack they failed to exploit the two or three occasions where we manipulated numbers out wide. (Whilst the game was alive).

This is how European clubs (not Barca psg, Bayern or real)  feel when faced with the financial  might of the PL big six (take out yanited ) where they have to compete in the champions league against them 

I think the reason we lost was more of the fact that 14 of their starting 15 played and won a grand slam last month for a country that sit top in world rugby.

If a Lions squad was put together today the majority of the squad would be made up from that team & going further I suspect Leinster would be heavily represented in a collective world 15 not sure many Tigers would be.

They are just better than us, we got into their 22 less than 10 times there was more to us losing than them breaking through our centres, they have not lost a game in 16 in a league that boasts some tough sides, no shame in losing to them.

Ashton to retire at the end of the season which i half expected, bringing in Hassell-Collins will still leave us short if Watson is looking to move on to France/Japan so hopefully we have another lined up as cover if its going to be Potter/H-Collins starting.
Can't see Kini or Hosea being here either as they not getting starts although we are in the business end of the season & finished with the cups so needing to play 1st 15 to push into the Top4

Actually running through the team if those 4 above are gone we Signed Josh Bassett for wing cover but he's 31 himself & we have Simmons but he's a SH / wing & Cokanasiga is a centre who can play wing also & then i imagine 1st cover would be Steward & Brown who can cover for the wing positions so actually that might be all thats required

8 hours ago, rachhere said:

Richard Wigglesworth - how have you turned the season around like this?!

Yes.. he got some cynical criticism at the beginning,hope these media bods & some fans have the decency to write/post a more positive light..Helped to bring us back into Top 4 play-offs and possible title (12)

Hes off to England to join Borthwick EOS.Then new coach starts

Need a couple of years plus consistency ,to catch up Leinster & Toulouse..

But we were there at the beginning,when they had the catching up to do.Though to be fair once clubs started to get top sponsors,they surged past us.We simply couldn’t keep up, even from a very strong club position ( most stable club at the time)

On 16/04/2023 at 16:24, fuchsntf said:

That really is tough..some of these modern law changes.is quite frustrating really.

Commentator is very bias Exeter..

One up for Dan Cole..300 Tiger games plus England & Lions what a one club servant…

Does Youngs get on for his 300..yes he’s on..

Then Ashton gets his 100 tries ending with Tigers…

Still the best European club sharing with Leinster for me..

My heart and soul is in this club. They take care of their players & staff. Wore the Swifts jersey,and 6 times Tigers shirt, 3 times as A.N.Other. When we still had letters on the back. Plus 3 great Leicestershire junior clubs..

Even today great to see still the respect towards officials..

If football players could take 15% of this character into their

game..!!!

& this is why they show respect to the officials because the RFU & World Rugby bodies are not afraid to issue bans, they have put out the guidelines & if you cross them you WILL be punished simple as, as soft as the decision might have been.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65312583

The sooner Footballing bodies grow a backbone the sooner the "dark arts" & official abuse will stop.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

& this is why they show respect to the officials because the RFU & World Rugby bodies are not afraid to issue bans, they have put out the guidelines & if you cross them you WILL be punished simple as, as soft as the decision might have been.

The sooner Footballing bodies grow a backbone the sooner the "dark arts" & official abuse will stop.

Supporting ref (though imo, too a harsh rule )

What many pundits,and rugby talk media miss,where showing other incidents..

They shown  only 2 players..tackler & tackled players.So not good examples.

Ref said..‘‘he (Ashton) had already been tackled, was on floor and Woodward as 2nd tackler came in  and on top’‘  >where I disagree,he IMO came from the side <

So this rule,was brought in to prevent those OTT exhuberent hard players, who unwarrented came in on top of tackled player after tackle made a tactic often Southern Hemisphere supposed hard nuts used to take a player out for 5 minutes,

or whole game..Later crept in,in our Northern hemisphere game as Profi-game grew,

and „Tongan,Fijians,Sumoans and hard S.Africans,came into European sides,this is not discrimination but by me accepted practice,I and others used ••occasionally.••

( officially they the lawmakers can’t use fuchsntf talk on reasons why)

•• There is a difference between occasional use,

compared to an every match game-plan and mindset..

In rugby a very physical game,there are many contact/tackling tricks from within players movement . ( like physical mean to wind opponent obstruction in football)

What would often ( since very first game)   go OTT,were players and refs who ignored the dangerous hard unwarranted innocentl looking type of tackle.

These are now slowly in the rules correctly being countered,

smothering..High tackles,deliberate,knock on in tackle leadind with forearm and not shoulder, 2nd phase unnecessary tackle.Taking man in the air positioning of props into scrum.etc

Believe it or not upto the late 80s-90s, most were allowed orconveniently  from officials deliberately ignored,according to hemisphere game..

On 19/04/2023 at 10:58, BKLFox said:

Yet one of the most famous faces in English rugby called the decision “barmy” and made the sport a laughing stock!?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-11996387/SIR-CLIVE-WOODWARD-Nowells-10-000-fine-barmy-rugby-laughing-stock.html

Maybe there isn’t the total respect for officials Rugby likes to it has ?

35 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yet one of the most famous faces in English rugby called the decision “barmy” and made the sport a laughing stock!?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-11996387/SIR-CLIVE-WOODWARD-Nowells-10-000-fine-barmy-rugby-laughing-stock.html

As he no longer holds a position within the RFU he can say what he wants I guess.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

An exception that by being so newsworthy (as opposed to football where it happens much more often) it proves the rule IMO.

Rugby refs are generally treated with a great deal more respect than football refs, I'm not sure how that's in question.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

An exception that by being so newsworthy (as opposed to football where it happens much more often) it proves the rule IMO.

Rugby refs are generally treated with a great deal more respect than football refs, I'm not sure how that's in question.

Agree as they have to be because it’s the expectation and players are actually punished but seems not everyone in the game agrees .