Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Lovely chaps these rugby “gentlemen”. 

Whereas on a football pitch such an incident probably wouldn't even be noticed by the ref or at worst result in a red card fight, let alone result in a suspension.

Regardless of what you think of the game and the people that play it (and those that watch it, if I remember past comments you've made about them), football and rugby are played in a different manner when it comes to the respect players have for each other and the officials, and what happens when that respect is broken. It *is* a more gentlemanly game as a whole.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Whereas on a football pitch such an incident probably wouldn't even be noticed by the ref or at worst result in a red card fight, let alone result in a suspension.

Regardless of what you think of the game and the people that play it (and those that watch it, if I remember past comments you've made about them), football and rugby are played in a different manner when it comes to the respect players have for each other and the officials, and what happens when that respect is broken. It *is* a more gentlemanly game as a whole.

They get into trouble in rugby ( as shown above ) if they show disrespect whereas in football it’s allowed and even seen as part of the game to gain an edge and influence the officials .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

They get into trouble in rugby ( as shown above ) if they show disrespect whereas in football it’s allowed and even seen as part of the game to gain an edge and influence the officials .

Yeah, that's about right.

There is a marked difference in the way that the two games are played, regardless of a persons personal feelings on the games themselves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I enjoy the game as a game, and whenever England play I’m fully behind them. What I don’t enjoy is the rugby fans that are so arrogant and how they look down on football fans, constant swipes, digs etc. Some are warranted of course. Totally regarding the respect to officials. But calling someone’s mother a whore on more than one occasion doesn’t really scream of a player having respect for another, obviously I know this doesn’t happen every time. But when was the last time a footballer got so personal to a fellow professional with an insult as disgusting as that? 

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

I enjoy the game as a game, and whenever England play I’m fully behind them. What I don’t enjoy is the rugby fans that are so arrogant and how they look down on football fans, constant swipes, digs etc. Some are warranted of course. Totally regarding the respect to officials. But calling someone’s mother a whore on more than one occasion doesn’t really scream of a player having respect for another, obviously I know this doesn’t happen every time. But when was the last time a footballer got so personal to a fellow professional with an insult as disgusting as that? 

It's possible that it happens often and is just accepted as part of the game, or sometimes there is a response (wasn't there a rumour that Zidane butted Materazzi because he made a remark about his mother?)

I think we're in broad agreement for the most part on the game itself, though.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's possible that it happens often and is just accepted as part of the game, or sometimes there is a response (wasn't there a rumour that Zidane butted Materazzi because he made a remark about his mother?)

I think we're in broad agreement for the most part on the game itself, though.

Yep that happened, 17 years ago. Haven’t heard of anything since. It’s not the game that’s the problem. It’s the people. 

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yep that happened, 17 years ago. Haven’t heard of anything since. It’s not the game that’s the problem. It’s the people. 

Would agree that it's the people that are the problem. Again, insults like that might get thrown around and be mostly simply accepted as "banter" in football.

I do think football could learn a bit from rugby in terms of policing such incidents towards players and the officials, though. That would have to start either from grassroots level or the Prem setting an example, however.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Would agree that it's the people that are the problem. Again, insults like that might get thrown around and be mostly simply accepted as "banter" in football.

I do think football could learn a bit from rugby in terms of policing such incidents towards players and the officials, though. That would have to start either from grassroots level or the Prem setting an example, however.

But I partly think that in football, how can you respect the officials when they’re so arrogant and don’t really show respect towards players. They think they’re the stars. 

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

But I partly think that in football, how can you respect the officials when they’re so arrogant and don’t really show respect towards players. They think they’re the stars. 

That's why there needs to be reform in both player and match official areas, and I think what rugby does can help with both.

On 08/01/2023 at 12:38, Bert said:

Every week…

Marler types ,have learnt how to make their disgusting comments ,they know where the cameras are..the John Terrys are still around…

The nonsense banter and critic,come from both sides, the various group gatherings are just as bad as the other…

Though fan violence is always in the football court..

snowflakes,who get upset about cross exchanges,

silly or serious, tend to be also football followers..

but that’s from my very bias POV & experience.

I just don’t think the Rugby fraternity individual cares a flyingfuk what is said or exchanged…Words seem more important due to the soap-opera antics of the football media & social media platforms. Though some rugby platforms do try their hardest to shit stir,but more often falls on deaf ears.

Edited by fuchsntf

Sure all sports have comments made by sports men and women in the heat of battle that isn’t really acceptable.

Cricket is probably the worse but more often than not gets laughed at as sledging.

Eddie Jones has been announced as coach of Australia.

Bound to meet England at the World Cup then !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64285827

7 Tigers make Borthwicks 1st squad & we'll have 1 in Welsh squad & maybe 1 in Scottish so 9 out during that period.
Could be quite a tough period as 5 of the 9 would be in our strongest 15 but the real issue is that 3 of the remaining 4 are the 1st back ups to positions of those in that 5, then couple that with what 8 players injured February might not be pretty