Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield Away Pre Match Thread

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Some excellent points - what are presented in a far better way than simply 'we are in a relegation scrap' blah blah. 

1) He stepped away at half-time against Chelsea and played 4-3-3. It cost us as Chelsea began to work an overlap. 4-4-2 works well against 3-5-2 because it defends against the wing backs and means you can use the space behind them. We played well first half; created two chances and had spells of possession. 

2) He's not in charge of a multi-millionaire business though. The club has stepped away from having a 'manager' into a 'head coach'. Shakespeare gives his opinion on contracts and transfers but he's only part of the process. I look at the country with the world's best coaches - Germany - and I see big clubs like Schalke employing coaches from their youth teams as head coaches of their senior team. Shakespeare has the hardest task of any Leicester manager in recent season because he has to evolve us. Yet he probably doesn't have the players with the technical ability. The owners went with him because he knows the squad and our style. They could have chosen a Sousa or a De Boer but such significant style changes have huge consequences. So what do the owners do? Whose on the market with such expertise?

3) And that's the point. We are four games into a season. Everton have four points. Hull last season were top four. Unfair to make any rash assessment yet. The November international break will be fair point. 

Yes, good points well made. The 'being in charge' comment I agree is clumsily worded I  perhaps more mean that certainly team selection and tactics wise, he does effectively have a large impact on the success or failure of  'the business'.

Losing key players or the maladministration of the Silva deal certainly doesn't help matters for him but compared to some of our counterparts,  we still have an excellent squad of players to chose from. 

I  also agree re Sousa and De Boer. When Sousa was here he wanted to play a champagne and oyster passing style football which is admirable, but unfortunately we had beer and chips players so it didn't work.  Is there not a bit of that in Shakespeare though to the extent that he believes that we can still play that exciting counter attacking football we previously were so successful with...but again, certainly against the bigger teams, we no longer have the personel just like Sousa didn't. 

Early days eh, could be worse, aren't Palace about to give Woy a job?

On 09/09/2017 at 17:54, Col city fan said:

I hate the term 'must win', but I think psychologically this actually is a must win game.

If we go to the relegation favorites and lose, I think it's going to smash our confidence, whilst seeing us with a return of 3 points from 15.

We need to go there, take the bloody shackles off, and start believing in ourselves.

Despite playing good sides in 3 of the first four games, I do feel we need to stop playing with the handbrake on against other sides.

I cite the Brighton game where I feel we could have scored at will had we been on the front foot and been more aggressive. It would have done our confidence the world of good, but the manager I feel is too conservative to, as you say 'take the shackles off'.

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I honestly don't know what you are on about at the moment?

As a poster who clearly didn't rate Drinkwater, you now seem adamant that you want to defend our current crop of midfielders for some reason. It's almost like an apology?

Did the three aforementioned teams carve through our midfields (in whatever guise)? Yes, I think they all did.

The general feeling at present seems to be that we don't have a very strong midfield at this level. You seem to be trying to disagree at any opportunity.

Open your eyes and get some perspective Col, you are always quick to bash the midfield and on this occasion I don't know why.

Last season we watched Drinkwater and Amartey get carved open like a knife through butter, we watched them get embarrassed as the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool ran through them, picking our team off at will and scoring 3-4 goals past us.

So far this season we've played those teams and you've got knee jerk reactions galore, Ndidi and James have been crap, our midfield can't cope like we are in a far worse predicament than last season.

How did Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea carve through our midfield?

Against Arsenal we conceded three goals from crosses, two of which were down to a lack of concentration. Were they down to Ndidi...nope. Were they down to Matty James...nope because he wasn't on the pitch.

Against Man Utd we restricted them for 70 minutes, we kept our shape and frustrated them, what did Man Utd do that were so impressive? For 70 minutes all they did was cross the ball and take 25-30 yard pot shots. Yet again we ended up conceding from a set piece, while the second came from the right side of defence.

On Saturday against Chelsea in the first half we looked competitive, we kept our shape, closed them down and it was no surprise to see comments of fans saying that Ndidi in particular did well. Then yet again we conceded a goal from a cross, was that solely down to Ndidi or James...of course not. Second goal was weak and yes the midfield should of closed Kante down; however Kasper should of done better too.

But then you've got knee jerk fans blaming the midfield and wanting change like we're in a crisis. We've played Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea for christ sake, games we aren't expected to win. Last season Man Utd and Chelsea in particular absolutely embarrassed us, the performances against them were some of the worst performances I've seen since we got promoted back to the Prem.

Now so far this season albeit we've lost again, we haven't been destroyed or embarrassed, we've lost by commendable scorelines and the performances haven't been shit. Drinkwater and Amartey got absolutely annihilated last season, Ndidi and James have looked far better than those two ever did.

On 10/09/2017 at 13:07, Farrington fox said:

Matt. You make a reasonable argument I suppose, and I see where you're coming from. But he's the only player in the side with creativity, his vision and range of passing is as good as anything in this league. I would like to see Demari in the side. But  accommodating them both is a dilemma.  And by the way, they're all guilty of giving the ball away cheaply. 

He has skill in abundance as we all know.

However, an odd nutmeg and a bunch of step overs have not produced enough goals or assists in the last 14 months to outweigh some of his shockingly wasteful play.

He wants to leave, and we have a future to plan for, which should make the decision easy for the manager. Seemingly it has not registered with Shakes yet.

I have been waiting 12 months for him to be dropped, so I say; yes now is the time, and let's see what happens when we have 11 men 'pulling in the same direction'.

Shakespeare: grow some balls and start acting like a manager.

Make some decisions man.

30 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Open your eyes and get some perspective Col, you are always quick to bash the midfield and on this occasion I don't know why.

Last season we watched Drinkwater and Amartey get carved open like a knife through butter, we watched them get embarrassed as the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool ran through them, picking our team off at will and scoring 3-4 goals past us.

So far this season we've played those teams and you've got knee jerk reactions galore, Ndidi and James have been crap, our midfield can't cope like we are in a far worse predicament than last season.

How did Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea carve through our midfield?

Against Arsenal we conceded three goals from crosses, two of which were down to a lack of concentration. Were they down to Ndidi...nope. Were they down to Matty James...nope because he wasn't on the pitch.

Against Man Utd we restricted them for 70 minutes, we kept our shape and frustrated them, what did Man Utd do that were so impressive? For 70 minutes all they did was cross the ball and take 25-30 yard pot shots. Yet again we ended up conceding from a set piece, while the second came from the right side of defence.

On Saturday against Chelsea in the first half we looked competitive, we kept our shape, closed them down and it was no surprise to see comments of fans saying that Ndidi in particular did well. Then yet again we conceded a goal from a cross, was that solely down to Ndidi or James...of course not. Second goal was weak and yes the midfield should of closed Kante down; however Kasper should of done better too.

But then you've got knee jerk fans blaming the midfield and wanting change like we're in a crisis. We've played Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea for christ sake, games we aren't expected to win. Last season Man Utd and Chelsea in particular absolutely embarrassed us, the performances against them were some of the worst performances I've seen since we got promoted back to the Prem.

Now so far this season albeit we've lost again, we haven't been destroyed or embarrassed, we've lost by commendable scorelines and the performances haven't been shit. Drinkwater and Amartey got absolutely annihilated last season, Ndidi and James have looked far better than those two ever did.

That makes far more sense.

Good post.

I don't think we have a very good midfield at this level and that strong midfields in the Prem make the team tick. But you're right. It isn't the cause of all of our ills.

We can beat these, we just need to play to our strengths  We've begun to slip back into the Ranieri way of defending, getting everyone behind the ball and it doesn't suit us at all. We are at our best when we press from the front and try to win the ball as high up the pitch as possible. 

If we get a win it's 6 points from 15... if anyone honestly thought we'd get more from our first 5 with the way the fixtures worked out they need help! (before the fixtures that is)

The only disappointment in my mind is given the way we played against a shocking Arsenal and had we taken our chances against Chelsea it could so easily be 10 points from 15....

9 minutes ago, matty98 said:

We can beat these, we just need to play to our strengths  We've begun to slip back into the Ranieri way of defending, getting everyone behind the ball and it doesn't suit us at all. We are at our best when we press from the front and try to win the ball as high up the pitch as possible. 

I agree with what you say in the last sentence.

The bit about Ranieri is total nonsense.

Hes the one that shaped our tilte winning team usingguess what? ;

Pressing from the front and counter attack.

9 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I agree with what you say in the last sentence.

The bit about Ranieri is total nonsense.

Hes the one that shaped our tilte winning team usingguess what? ;

Pressing from the front and counter attack.

Up until about February of the title winning season we played like that under Ranieri but from then on we sat back 11 men behind the ball and only tried to win the ball in our own third. If you can't accept that was Ranieri's doing then you're blinded.

Also: the pressing from the front was started by Pearson.

2 hours ago, matty98 said:

Up until about February of the title winning season we played like that under Ranieri but from then on we sat back 11 men behind the ball and only tried to win the ball in our own third. If you can't accept that was Ranieri's doing then you're blinded.

Also: the pressing from the front was started by Pearson.

Was it ****!!!

On 9/10/2017 at 18:32, the messenger said:

Prediction 442

Same team as against Chelsea.

Nacho on the bench.

Dragovic not even on the bench.

Gray on the bench.

Subs at half time.

Will lose 2-0

Zero creativity

Silva debacle not sorted.

Huth and Iborra not quite ready.

Utter rubbish.

29 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Ranieri openly admitted he didn't change the way we play, he just tweaked a few things originally.

?

Do you believe and take everything you hear literally? 

Lets base this discussion on some facts rather than sound bites you can remember. 

These were the tactical changes Ranieri made from Cambiasso's Great Escape formation;

or as you would have it I'm sure 'Pearson's' Great Escape side. Hopefully next time you post on the subject you will have more

accuracy in your statements.

1. Changed the formation totally to 4-4-2 from the one of the previous season.

2. Changed the two full backs - Simpson and Fuchs in, Schlupp and De Laet out.

3. Inverted the two wingers Mahrez and Albrighton.

4.Played Vardy as the main striker down the middle, as opposed to Pearson playing him on the wing! 

I think you will find these were

significant tactical changes introduced by Ranieri which were crucial in our title win contrary to your ill thought out claims.

2 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

?

Do you believe and take everything you hear literally? 

Lets base this discussion on some facts rather than sound bites you can remember. 

These were the tactical changes Ranieri made from Cambiasso's Great Escape formation;

or as you would have it I'm sure 'Pearson's' Great Escape side. Hopefully next time you post on the subject you will have more

accuracy in your statements.

1. Changed the formation totally to 4-4-2 from the one of the previous season.

2. Changed the two full backs - Simpson and Fuchs in, Schlupp and De Laet out.

3. Inverted the two wingers Mahrez and Albrighton.

4.Played Vardy as the main striker down the middle, as opposed to Pearson playing him on the wing! 

I think you will find these were

significant tactical changes introduced by Ranieri which were crucial in our title win contrary to your ill thought out claims.

We had praise constantly throughout the season to Ranieri for not changing the way we play. I'm not saying Ranieri didn't make changes to the team or formation, I know he did. What I said was he didn't change the way we play as in style of play. Style of play isn't dictated by formations or personnel.

We started going down hill when Ranieri began to change our style of play to stop pressing from the front and instead sitting deep with 11 men behind the ball. What's so hard to understand?

1 hour ago, matty98 said:

Ranieri openly admitted he didn't change the way we play, he just tweaked a few things originally.

I think that was called good old manners and humility. He did far more than tweak a little. I can't believe anybody can't see through that. He was hardly likely to say your last manager was a tactical dumbass. 

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that was called good old manners and humility. He did far more than tweak a little. I can't believe anybody can't see through that. He was hardly likely to say your last manager was a tactical dumbass. 

This is the last time I'm replying on this topic as people will get mad.

My point was not to do with tactics so not sure why you're mentioning it, it was about our style of play (When I say style of play i'm referring to pressing high up the pitch and counter attacking football). Originally Ranieri kept our style of play from the Great Escape, then towards the end of the title winning season we began to sit back a lot more and rely solely on counter attacking rather than that combined with pressing high up the pitch. This got worse during his second season which left us playing with 11 men behind the ball and having no one high up the pitch to get the ball forward quickly.

Archived