Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield Away Pre Match Thread

36 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Col plays a dangerous game saying Utd should have scored more. They didn't. We should have beaten Arsenal, but didn't. I'm not sure the 'should' argument works... 

Aye thats true.

A better sentence would be 'Man Utd were very dominant for the bulk of the game'

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I want Shakespeare to succeed because if he does Leicester City does. The facts so far are that Manchester United were a far better team, no problem, though expecting James and the young Ndidi to cope with Pogba, Matic and Matt in midfield, not thinking they'd get over until was schoolboy stuff. We should have beaten a poor newly promoted Brighton team and we did. Against Arsenal however we should have got a minimum of a point and could have got a point against Chelsea but we didn't because of Shakespeare 's slavish aderehence to a 442 counter attacking system that he no longer has the right players to execute against top level teams. (1) Together with his non sensical substitutions against the latter two teams tends  to point to someone who may well be a good coach but a seemingly inept manager.

He is effectively in charge of a multi million pound business and therefore this is not an apprenticeship where you learn on the job, he has to be immediately fit and capable to hit the ground running. He did have a number of games in charge last season where for me the warning signs were evident. (2) If he can't adapt better and employ formations and tactics that are comensurate for a particular opposition team on an individual basis, my prediction is that we will only possibly beat the teams that have far inferior players than us. Even then, prepare for the odd suprise when an opposition manager outhinks Shakespeare and nullifies his predictable approaches and bizarre substitutions. I don't think we'll get relegated,  but I do predict a low table finish under Shakespeare.

We have some really talented players and think we should be aiming higher than merely survival and mediocrity. Huddersfield for example will be interesting. (3) On paper it's a game we should win but Wagner is just one of those managers that may organise his vastly inferior players in a way to cause an upset. There's a reason for example, whatever people think of him, why someone like Alladyce consistently over the years can organise such suprises against the big boys and that is by recognising the abilities and falabilities of his own players and that of the opposition and sets out his tactics and team selection accordingly. I will no doubt get slated for this for either being either negative or a Shakespeare hater of which I'm neither. I'm just voicing my opinion of how I see things thus far,  not saying that I'm right.

Some excellent points - what are presented in a far better way than simply 'we are in a relegation scrap' blah blah. 

1) He stepped away at half-time against Chelsea and played 4-3-3. It cost us as Chelsea began to work an overlap. 4-4-2 works well against 3-5-2 because it defends against the wing backs and means you can use the space behind them. We played well first half; created two chances and had spells of possession. 

2) He's not in charge of a multi-millionaire business though. The club has stepped away from having a 'manager' into a 'head coach'. Shakespeare gives his opinion on contracts and transfers but he's only part of the process. I look at the country with the world's best coaches - Germany - and I see big clubs like Schalke employing coaches from their youth teams as head coaches of their senior team. Shakespeare has the hardest task of any Leicester manager in recent season because he has to evolve us. Yet he probably doesn't have the players with the technical ability. The owners went with him because he knows the squad and our style. They could have chosen a Sousa or a De Boer but such significant style changes have huge consequences. So what do the owners do? Whose on the market with such expertise?

3) And that's the point. We are four games into a season. Everton have four points. Hull last season were top four. Unfair to make any rash assessment yet. The November international break will be fair point. 

Relax, it's far too early to start thinking about relegation. The Brighton game is the only indicator so far of how we compare to the sides who will be down there, and we were more comfortable against them than Arsenal and Chelsea were against us.

We've got Huth, Dragovic, Iborra, Iheanacho and hopefully Silva to come into the side. That's a lot of quality we're missing- 3 or 4 first team starters.

The fixtures will become more favourable, and we'll have the potential to put some positive runs together in the autumn.

As for Saturday, I'm looking forward to it- my first away day of the season. Huddersfield look a decent side, and we'll have to be good to beat them. We get an extra 2 days' rest and hopefully should have less injury problems, so I'm hopeful we can go there and win. I wouldn't mind West Ham winning tonight and knocking their early season confidence though.

25 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

I think a draw but after watching 'super sunday' yesterday we have nothing to fear from at least 4 teams. 

Palace,  Brighton,  Bournemouth,  West Ham and Southampton look likely to finish below us... 

But sad that we have to rely on / hope that teams are worse than us to maintain our PL status. 

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Because Everton have a better Managerial team in place and have signed some excellent players,  who will eventually gel and perform well in the PL... Everton will finish 6th/7th /8th I think... 

Under Shakespeare we're going to end up 14th or thereabouts! 

Take a look at their forum - they want Koeman and Walsh out already. 

Probably the toughest start out of anyone team in the league and people are still 'surprised' we're near the bottom?  I said before the season started if we aren't in the bottom 3 after 6 games we've done well.  If we had lost those games to the weaker teams I could understand the concerns.  If we lose at Hudd's then their might be reason to worry but losing to utd/chel doesn't mean anything.

We will probably learn more about our team in this game than any other so far. Generally outplayed by the big boys (shock horror) and easily beat a newly promoted team at home. Huddersfield may only have come up but have started well and won't make it easy.

I think this will be the first game Nacho starts for us, otherwise the same team with Iborra likely to come on late as a sub if he is ready. Vardy and Nacho is surely the ideal plan for the season and this is the first real game we can try that.

Could go any way really but expect a draw at least from this one, and hopefully our first away win.

3 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Relax, it's far too early to start thinking about relegation. The Brighton game is the only indicator so far of how we compare to the sides who will be down there, and we were more comfortable against them than Arsenal and Chelsea were against us.

We've got Huth, Dragovic, Iborra, Iheanacho and hopefully Silva to come into the side. That's a lot of quality we're missing- 3 or 4 first team starters.

The fixtures will become more favourable, and we'll have the potential to put some positive runs together in the autumn.

As for Saturday, I'm looking forward to it- my first away day of the season. Huddersfield look a decent side, and we'll have to be good to beat them. We get an extra 2 days' rest and hopefully should have less injury problems, so I'm hopeful we can go there and win. I wouldn't mind West Ham winning tonight and knocking their early season confidence though.

I honestly don't think the Brighton game can be considered any sort of yardstick. They are finding their feet and will improve. Same with Newcastle.

I think we could play Brighton in 6 mins time and play a team that plays completely different.

Our poor midfield is just so weak, Matty James is a Championship standard midfielder, we desperately need to change formation :cry:

Give it a rest.

Did Arsenal manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

Did Man Utd manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

Did Chelsea manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

All we need to do is repeat what we've been doing, keep our shape, stay compact and close down at the right moments, do that then we should get something from this game. Aaron Mooy is dangerous but if we don't give him time to play then we should be alright.

Schmeichel

Simpson - Morgan - Maguire - Fuchs

Mahrez - Ndidi - James/Iborra - Albrighton 

Okazaki/Iheanacho - Vardy

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I honestly don't think the Brighton game can be considered any sort of yardstick. They are finding their feet and will improve. Same with Newcastle.

I think we could play Brighton in 6 mins time and play a team that plays completely different.

True. On the other hand, promoted sides often start well then fade off when they lose momentum, so it was a good win.

I believe I've seen enough to know that we won't be relegated. Whether we live up to the potential that this squad has and finish in the top half is a different story- there have been worrying signs in that respect.

Would like us to consider a move away from 4-4-2 but doubt that will happen so with a 4-4-2 likely, I would go with this:

------------------Kasper------------------

Simpson---Dragovic--Maguire---Fuchs

Mahrez----Iborra-----N'didi----Albrighton

-------------------Iheanacho-----------------

---------------------Vardy---------------------

Would give Slimani and Gray a large chunk of the game too if possible. 

If Shakey is feeling adventerous..

-------------------Kasper---------------------

--------Dragovic--Huth--Maguire----------

---------------Iborra----N'didi----------------

----Mahrez------Iheanacho-------Gray---

-------------Slimani------Vardy--------------

39 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Our poor midfield is just so weak, Matty James is a Championship standard midfielder, we desperately need to change formation :cry:

Give it a rest.

Did Arsenal manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

Did Man Utd manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

Did Chelsea manage to carve through Ndidi and James...nope

All we need to do is repeat what we've been doing, keep our shape, stay compact and close down at the right moments, do that then we should get something from this game. Aaron Mooy is dangerous but if we don't give him time to play then we should be alright.

Schmeichel

Simpson - Morgan - Maguire - Fuchs

Mahrez - Ndidi - James/Iborra - Albrighton 

Okazaki/Iheanacho - Vardy

I honestly don't know what you are on about at the moment?

As a poster who clearly didn't rate Drinkwater, you now seem adamant that you want to defend our current crop of midfielders for some reason. It's almost like an apology?

Did the three aforementioned teams carve through our midfields (in whatever guise)? Yes, I think they all did.

The general feeling at present seems to be that we don't have a very strong midfield at this level. You seem to be trying to disagree at any opportunity.

I'd like to see

Kasper

Elliott  Huth  Walsh

Albrighton                       Guppy

Mahrez  Kante  Izzet

Heskey Vardy

Let's **** em up!

(Yes yes, I know lots of players are not in there (banks, Lineker, etc) but only wanted to go back as far as MON).

X

10 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I'd like to see

Kasper

Elliott  Huth  Walsh

Albrighton                       Guppy

Mahrez  Kante  Izzet

Heskey Vardy

Let's **** em up!

(Yes yes, I know lots of players are not in there (banks, Lineker, etc) but only wanted to go back as far as MON).

X

No Kasey Keller I noticed :(

Archived