Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

5 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

As an aside It also really bugs me when people say 'i'm against feminism because they don't play five sets in tennis'. Like women/men have been protesting for equality for centuries for the sake of Maria Sharapova. 

I quite liked Murray's response to this in that women make the same sacrifices as men in dedicating their lives to tennis and follow the same gruelling touring schedule, so in that way they are equal.

42 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I quite liked Murray's response to this in that women make the same sacrifices as men in dedicating their lives to tennis and follow the same gruelling touring schedule, so in that way they are equal.

Apart from being weaker and slower.

On 13/09/2017 at 18:31, whoareyaaa said:

Making people aware of your religious beliefs, keep them to yourself please.

There is life from other planets flying around the universe in some shit hot spaceships.

Eating meat is not wrong.

9/11 was a inside job

Is this that unpopular now? How many people on this thread believe it was an 'inside' job? And isn't there a decent percentage of American's that believe it too?

I've read a lot about 9/11 and a lot of things don't add up still. I personally don't believe it was an 'inside' job - whether or not the US knew of an upcoming attack of somesort is a different discussion - but I still don't understand how someone with five/six/seven months training in a simulator, and no experience of flying commercial aircraft, can fly an aircraft of that size so accurately, as well as banking and manoeuvring at great rates. And I don't get the CCTV - or lack of it - the time stamps are wrong on some of them. I still don't think I've seen actual footage of the hijackers at any of the correct airports at the correct time/boarding the correct flight.

But we're talking about a time when security was so relaxed. Box cutters and knifes of a certain length were allowed onboard aircraft prior to 9/11? Why would anybody need them onboard.

With all the talk of it though, God bless the innocent people that died and are still dying from that day. I couldn't imagine being caught up that day. Horrific.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

Aside from a couple of events the ATP and WTA tours aren't the same, it isn't the same schedule and they are paid differently.

The only time they are completely paid the same is at the Grand Slams and that's why "equal pay" in this is so absurd when womens tennis lags so far behind in standard, fitness, quality, ticket sales, tv figures etc

2 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Cyclists are responsible for 99% of cycle incidents and deaths on the road

I agree with the idea that all of them should, by law, wear a helmet whilst sharing both city and country roads.

The number of times I see cyclists swerving in and out of traffic and genuinely not looking before they make turning decisions is nearly a few every day.

43 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Cyclists are responsible for 99% of cycle incidents and deaths on the road

43 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Probably a similar figure for motorcyclists too

So cyclists and motorcyclists are responsible for 198% of road accidents? lol 

• Like 2

I think the bashing of people (particularly younger people) for being on their phones or playing on games consoles goes too far. Some of it is justified but as a child if you had the option of playing mariokart or with toy cars you'd probably choose mariokart. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Aside from a couple of events the ATP and WTA tours aren't the same, it isn't the same schedule and they are paid differently.

The only time they are completely paid the same is at the Grand Slams and that's why "equal pay" in this is so absurd when womens tennis lags so far behind in standard, fitness, quality, ticket sales, tv figures etc

They should pay sports people relative to viewing figures. 

A million people watch Sharapova and half a million watch Tsonga? Pay Sharapova double. Five million people watch Bolt and a million which Tori Bowie? Pay Bolt five times more. 

I mean the money all comes from sponsorship anyway so viewing figures should be the only measure. 

Pay men and women equally / identically based on the same ratio of interest:prize money. 

That way it's always fair. If more people watch Ronaldo play then Marta then he's going to make more and nobody can complain that's unfair. Just make sure that they both take home the same relative % that their contribution yields. 

• Like 2

Regards Carl Llama - half agree, I consider myself egalitarian and I have a mixed relationship with the term Feminism. 

But as long as slut shaming, victim blaming, The Fappening, upskirting, chikan, dick pic spam and **** knows what else are all commonplace - Feminism has a lot still to achieve. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

They should pay sports people relative to viewing figures. 

A million people watch Sharapova and half a million watch Tsonga? Pay Sharapova double. Five million people watch Bolt and a million which Tori Bowie? Pay Bolt five times more. 

I mean the money all comes from sponsorship anyway so viewing figures should be the only measure. 

Pay men and women equally / identically based on the same ratio of interest:prize money. 

That way it's always fair. If more people watch Ronaldo play then Marta then he's going to make more and nobody can complain that's unfair. Just make sure that they both take home the same relative % that their contribution yields. 

In a one off match then fair enough, it'd be like boxing, the difference is a grand slam is an multi format event for both women and men in the same way the Athletics World Championships is mixed and sponsorship is paid to cover the whole event as a sporting contest not the Men's final or the 100m. The stature and status of these events is what makes them watchable not just the individuals. Wimbledon wouldn't be the same if it was just a Men's event.

Prize money per gold medal at the  Athletics world championships is the same regardless of gender, difficulty of sport or market appeal and that's how it should be.

You start basing it on interest then English wildcards, mavericks like Dustin Brown and Nick Kyriagos would get  more money at Wimbledon than big serving Anderson or Karlovic who I don't like watching but are better tennis players and regularly get to quarter finals.

Edited by Captain...

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

This is very niche unpopular opinion:  DJing is an absolute piece of piss

Depends what type of DJing you're talking about really.

There's a skill to mixing records on proper turntables - beat-matching and blending at the same time.

But yeah, if you're some wanky DJ on a set of CDJs or MP3 mixer then it basically cues the tracks up for you which gives you all the time to blend without having to worry about keeping tracks in time.

Having said that, there's some DJs out there who make the most of the extra time allowed and do some pretty awesome stuff in the mix. DJ EZ, Gammer, Andy C, etc. etc.

Also there's actually a talent in selecting the right tracks - it's easier to lose a dance-floor than you think. You can't just pre-plan a set in case people aren't feeling it - so knowing your tracks inside out so you can change direction on the fly is important also.

I'm assuming your mostly talking about shitty wedding DJs and cheese-club DJs in which case I agree - they do **** all but stand there pressing play. 

The art of proper mixing is dying out. 

5 hours ago, Captain... said:

You're right and you're wrong. Yes we should be egalitarian, equalitarian, universalists and we should look to treat all people equally based on skills and abilities and not gender, race or  hair colour...

...but two wrongs don't  cancel each other out, the fact that 70% of homeless people are male and 75% of suicides are male doesn't detract from the abuse and everyday sexism suffered by women the world over in the same way quoting stats about the percentage of female victims in domestic violence or sexual assaults doesn't mean the opposite. These men are as much a victim of the establishment/patriarchy as the women who have been held back for years and suffered abuse and discrimination because of their set of genitals. Whilst serious ground has been made legally, there are still massive gaps in pay across all industries and there are still societal and behavioural attitudes that need to change. Feminism, like anti racism campaigners and LGBTQ campaigners still need to exist out side of just saying "hey I treat everyone equally so it's cool yeah?" We should all be egalitarian, but until a completely equal society some people need to be more than that.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Regards Carl Llama - half agree, I consider myself egalitarian and I have a mixed relationship with the term Feminism. 

But as long as slut shaming, victim blaming, The Fappening, upskirting, chikan, dick pic spam and **** knows what else are all commonplace - Feminism has a lot still to achieve. 

I agree with both of you but I would have to ask how is the contemporary form of feminism in western countries with its focus on things like campaigning against Fathers day(?!) and manspreading supposed to help?  I used to think I was a feminist because I strongly believe that all humans deserve to be treated equally and fairly but now I avoid using the term in much the same way that although I believe black people deserve to be treated no differently to white people I'd avoid aligning myself with BLM and their black supremacist contingent, or with neo-nazis, or with any other group that seeks to improve the well-being of their members at the cost of others. 

People are tired of today's 'feminists' doing things like latching on to any tiny misdemeanour and shrieking "SEXUAL HARASSMENT" because they don't think they can be challenged or using their public status to abuse someone with different opinions to them.  Feminism got hijacked a long time ago and is now little more than an outlet for female bigotry and ironically for virtue signalling guys trying to get laid.  Surely if you're a true feminist there's no need to get hung up on defending a term that has long since lost its original meaning, after all isn't it a bit fvcked that we all thought it made sense to define the campaign for gender equality under a gender-specific noun anyway?  Let the extremists have their 'ism', the rest of us can and should focus on being decent, collaborative humans.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I agree with both of you but I would have to ask how is the contemporary form of feminism in western countries with its focus on things like campaigning against Fathers day(?!) and manspreading supposed to help?  I used to think I was a feminist because I strongly believe that all humans deserve to be treated equally and fairly but now I avoid using the term in much the same way that although I believe black people deserve to be treated no differently to white people I'd avoid aligning myself with BLM and their black supremacist contingent, or with neo-nazis, or with any other group that seeks to improve the well-being of their members at the cost of others. 

People are tired of today's 'feminists' doing things like latching on to any tiny misdemeanour and shrieking "SEXUAL HARASSMENT" because they don't think they can be challenged or using their public status to abuse someone with different opinions to them.  Feminism got hijacked a long time ago and is now little more than an outlet for female bigotry and ironically for virtue signalling guys trying to get laid.  Surely if you're a true feminist there's no need to get hung up on defending a term that has long since lost its original meaning, after all isn't it a bit fvcked that we all thought it made sense to define the campaign for gender equality under a gender-specific noun anyway?  Let the extremists have their 'ism', the rest of us can and should focus on being decent, collaborative humans.

I disagree that that is the contemporary form of feminism, that is the extremist version that manages to filter through the barrage of digital effluence by virtue of it being screaming nonsense that people share to mock how stupid it is. This form of extreme feminism is detrimental to the real cause in the same way extreme race groups are. most feminists just want to be able to live their lives and not be disadvantaged by having tits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

I disagree that that is the contemporary form of feminism, that is the extremist version that manages to filter through the barrage of digital effluence by virtue of it being screaming nonsense that people share to mock how stupid it is. This form of extreme feminism is detrimental to the real cause in the same way extreme race groups are. most feminists just want to be able to live their lives and not be disadvantaged by having tits.

Clearly we agree on extremists but I reiterate that you don't need the word feminism to fight against misogyny, just regular folk speaking out for what's right in the name of no 'ism' in particular.  

Besides, most feminists aren't disadvantaged by their tits anymore, that's what makes the whole thing so frustrating.  After all the wage gap has been successfully addressed for the younger generations and is well on its way to dying a natural death, it gets a bit much being constantly told to feel bad about earning more by virtue of one's dick when for my generation that's simply never been the case. We actually do have fair competition in the workplace but even regular 'establishment' feminists seem not to want to acknowledge that fact and continue to push for more prioritisation of young women in education and the workplace. This is the sort of social strangling I was talking about earlier and that is why we don't need feminism anymore:  The focus should be a human one squarely fixed on making sure everybody's rights are being protected.

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Clearly we agree on extremists but I reiterate that you don't need the word feminism to fight against misogyny, just regular folk speaking out for what's right in the name of no 'ism' in particular.  

Besides, most feminists aren't disadvantaged by their tits anymore, that's what makes the whole thing so frustrating.  After all the wage gap has been successfully addressed for the younger generations and is well on its way to dying a natural death, it gets a bit much being constantly told to feel bad about earning more by virtue of one's dick when for my generation that's simply never been the case. We actually do have fair competition in the workplace but even regular 'establishment' feminists seem not to want to acknowledge that fact and continue to push for more prioritisation of young women in education and the workplace. This is the sort of social strangling I was talking about earlier and that is why we don't need feminism anymore:  The focus should be a human one squarely fixed on making sure everybody's rights are being protected.

Many people would disagree with you on that, but I guess that is what makes it an unpopular opinion 

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Wage gap isn't the only issue though (and even then it's more of a hiring gap: https://hbr.org/2014/03/in-search-of-a-less-sexist-hiring-process), there's still the issue of bodily autonomy through slut-shaming, victim-blaming, the amount of shit spouted about rape and pregnancy. 

You can complain about the word feminism, and what it's become associated with, but egalitarian is pretty entwined with "nice guys" (aka dick pigeons) - it's hardly a better alternative. 

Anyway, this has got too serious:

Blaze Bailey's iron maiden spell was actually pretty good.

• Like 1