Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Speed bumps are a form of domestic terrorism. 

Easy for me to say as a non driver but they reduce speeds on streets that drivers would normally speed through and potentially cause danger to pedestrians. A minor annoyance is a fair trade for saving a few lives.

49 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Speed bumps are a form of domestic terrorism. 

Speed bumps are ok (the smooth ones anyway), it's the people who brake before each one that are the real menace.  Always the same people who pull out of side roads with no care for who's approaching too.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Speed bumps are ok (the smooth ones anyway), it's the people who brake before each one that are the real menace.  Always the same people who pull out of side roads with no care for who's approaching too.

Add to this the people that drive in the middle of the road to avoid the small ones. Humberstone Lane is littered with them, they decided to skip the ones on the blind turn for a few months, put them in now and now every time you go round you have to pray some muppet isn't in the middle of them. The amount of close calls is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Easy for me to say as a non driver but they reduce speeds on streets that drivers would normally speed through and potentially cause danger to pedestrians. A minor annoyance is a fair trade for saving a few lives.

51 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

24 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Add to this the people that drive in the middle of the road to avoid the small ones. Humberstone Lane is littered with them, they decided to skip the ones on the blind turn for a few months, put them in now and now every time you go round you have to pray some muppet isn't in the middle of them. The amount of close calls is ridiculous. 

The stopping and braking actually accelerates air pollution which also cause deaths after long term exposure. I'm not for a second saying making all roads 60mph; I just feel that most of the time speed bumps are not only unnecessarily (there's a multitude of more effective methods), they almost always are put in places that punish the majority drivers for the minority of people that misuse the road. If a road is 30mph you should also be able to go over them at 30mph, not have to slow down to 10mph. 

I just ****ing hate them.

Cheers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I drive a fairly small car and I need to brake for speed bumps. If I didn't my suspension would have been fvcked a long time ago. 

I drive a rude boy sporty car which is quite low with hard suspension, and although I usually don't mind, when they're literally every five meters (like on most residential London roads) they're a nuisance, TBH. 

Although, they're not as bad as some of the traffic calming measures around me, which consist of two great big solid bits of metal through which I can barely squeeze my wide-ass motor. Terrifying.

19 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I drive a rude boy sporty car which is quite low with hard suspension, and although I usually don't mind, when they're literally every five meters (like on most residential London roads) they're a nuisance, TBH. 

Although, they're not as bad as some of the traffic calming measures around me, which consist of two great big solid bits of metal through which I can barely squeeze my wide-ass motor. Terrifying.

I'm picturing an old Corsa, lowered, black alloys and a fat ass exhaust, or a Prius 

I'm not sure that 'speed humps are a form of domestic terrorism' is an unpopular opinion. I hate them too, partly because the square ones discriminate between us very careful and law-abiding drivers in our small cars who have to drive over them, and loony white van drivers who aren't affected, because of their wide wheelbases. What is also quite annoying is driving through villages e.g between Market Harborough and Lutterworth where not only are there fixed speed cameras, but also sometimes sneaky mobile ones slightly further up the road. Having a persecution complex, I always fear the worst, despite never needing to.      

The Beatles were a shite boy band weren't they? They then just reinvented themselves, ripped off & aping the sounds of the 60's that others innovated.

Pretty much all Saturday evening TV is dross and obviously must just be watched my morons.

MP's do a great job don't they? Under appreciated and unfairly criticised. Many are whole heartedly devoted to their constituents and genuinely motivated to public service and the betterment of our society.

The Beetles - shite name for a band! Fookin' prehistoric creepy-crawlies! I mean did they consider as an alternative The Earwigs?!?!?!

• Like 1