Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

21 hours ago, Nalis said:

I like Burnley and Sean Dyche

In an era of image and money over substance, there is something refreshing about an unfashionable club from a meh town in the north west being an established premier league club. Of course, they would still spend money but its not like they're spending as much as someone like Bournemouth.

I think they’re a bit annoying (mainly Dyche), but yeah I agree with the majority of the above. 

On 25/10/2019 at 22:52, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Not only was this an unpopular opinion, it was also utter bollox. My sincere apologies to BR and his staff.

Your honesty and readiness to admit error does you credit.

However, the careless expression of your unpopular opinion did serious damage. We would undoubtedly now be top of the league, had it not been for the psychological harm done by your intemperate intervention.

To display proper penance, before a home match (maybe Southampton - or Liverpool on Boxing Day) you should strip naked, rub ashes into your skin and walk a circuit of the KP before kick-off, whipping yourself with a cat o' nine tails.

On 21/10/2019 at 21:29, a_k_b said:

What he’s doing now reminds me of us under the MON era. Unfashionable team with mainly non household names performing above their station, grinding out performances. Team full of effort and lack of egos

I know people rip on him, but I can't help but feel good things for him and that squad.

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Your honesty and readiness to admit error does you credit.

However, the careless expression of your unpopular opinion did serious damage. We would undoubtedly now be top of the league, had it not been for the psychological harm done by your intemperate intervention.

To display proper penance, before a home match (maybe Southampton - or Liverpool on Boxing Day) you should strip naked, rub ashes into your skin and walk a circuit of the KP before kick-off, whipping yourself with a cat o' nine tails.

I'll do it at our home leg of next season's Champions League semifinal.

Too many people use "bad mental health day" or "bad mental health" to avoid doing things or get out of things. I agree that many do suffer and it's horrible when that is the case, but I feel many now use it as a go to excuse for things knowing people will leave them alone and not ask questions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milo said:

The vast majority of female comedians aren’t that funny. 

I really do try hard to find them funny. But just can’t. Whether it’s panel shows or stand up, just not very funny, and I think they get a huge quota/box ticking bye that unfunny male comedians just wouldn’t get. 

Went to a comedy gig last night, supposedly the best of the Edinburgh fringe comedians, the 2 female comedians were just awful - “fvcking periods, yeah” type of thing. The sort of thing Jo Brand was doing 20 years ago. 

(My very liberal and artsy wife agrees, by the way - after I asked her to find me 3 funny female stand ups to disprove my point)!! 

Am I a bad person? 

I find this too but I suppose men and women do often have different views so it would be genuinally interesting to find out what some of our female members think about male/female comedians. In fairness there's a lot of utter dross on the guys side too!

5 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

I find this too but I suppose men and women do often have different views so it would be genuinally interesting to find out what some of our female members think about male/female comedians. In fairness there's a lot of utter dross on the guys side too!

Yeah, humour is pretty much entirely subjective.

15 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

Trying to rack my brain and think of one female comedian i do like. Nope, can't think of one that is funny and/or not agenda driven. Can't stand Jo Brand or that Sarah Mulligan. 

With regards to male ones, i like quite a few and probably current fave is Lee Mack, David Mitchelle is quite funny too - I love would i lie to you. 

4 hours ago, Milo said:

I really do try hard to find them funny. But just can’t. Whether it’s panel shows or stand up, just not very funny, and I think they get a huge quota/box ticking bye that unfunny male comedians just wouldn’t get. 

Went to a comedy gig last night, supposedly the best of the Edinburgh fringe comedians, the 2 female comedians were just awful - “fvcking periods, yeah” type of thing. The sort of thing Jo Brand was doing 20 years ago. 

(My very liberal and artsy wife agrees, by the way - after I asked her to find me 3 funny female stand ups to disprove my point)!! 

Am I a bad person? 

No, you're not a bad person. You're absolutely spot on.

13 minutes ago, Milo said:

Agree entirely. 

So who’s your top 3 favourite female stand ups?

I have one - Carmen Ali, and she's very much local London level rather than big time. That being said I think most stand-up, lads or girls, tends to be rubbish anyway as it relies a lot on cringe comedy which I personally cannot stand.

I'm answering the question out of courtesy, but I'll point out it's an ad hominem anyway - my own opinion on female stand-ups has absolutely zilch to do with whether or not other people find them funny and as such whether or not humour is subjective.

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I have one - Carmen Ali, and she's very much local London level rather than big time. That being said I think most stand-up, lads or girls, tends to be rubbish anyway as it relies a lot on cringe comedy which I personally cannot stand.

I'm answering the question out of courtesy, but I'll point out it's an ad hominem anyway - my own opinion on female stand-ups has absolutely zilch to do with whether or not other people find them funny and as such whether or not humour is subjective.

Odd caveat, but 👍

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Trying to rack my brain and think of one female comedian i do like. Nope, can't think of one that is funny and/or not agenda driven. Can't stand Jo Brand or that Sarah Mulligan. 

With regards to male ones, i like quite a few and probably current fave is Lee Mack, David Mitchelle is quite funny too - I love would i lie to you. 

Check out:

Hannah Gadsby (agenda-driven but excellent). She has a brilliant special on Netflix called Nanette.

Ellie Taylor

Suzi Ruffell

Anything Diane Morgan does as Philomena Cunk is absolute gold as well.

I also used to think Shappi Khorsandi was brilliant a few years ago. I haven't seen/heard much from her in the last few years though.

Probably loads more I'm forgetting/can't be arsed to remember lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Odd caveat, but 👍

Agreed, when you make a post, as yourself, on a messageboard, not claiming to represent the views of any person, group or organisation other than yourself, it is odd when people apologise for their view or go to great lengths to make it clear it's 'only' their view.

Of course it's their view. Its them posting it!

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Agreed, when you make a post, as yourself, on a messageboard, not claiming to represent the views of any person, group or organisation other than yourself, it is odd when people apologise for their view or go to great lengths to make it clear it's 'only' their view.

Of course it's their view. Its them posting it!

Right...however, even though this is a thread for stating opinions, there's an awful lot of stuff that looks like facts-stated-as-opinions too due to the way they're stated and (while this isn't a problem on this thread mostly, more on other threads) that gets wearing. Actually taking the time to qualify remarks helps and clarity of communication is always important.

Also, I'm a shameless fvcking pedant and accuracy in as many matters as possible is something I like.

(That last bit is probably an unpopular opinion in itself.)

11 hours ago, Milo said:

Am I a bad person? 

I used to quite like Sarah Pasco before she was “discovered”. She’s like dog shit now though and I’ve gone off her.

Kristen Wiig is quite a funny actress IMO - don’t know if that counts. 

Hamza Choudhury is average and will never become a regular in the Premier League. His complete lack of technical ability is largely ignored here because he came through our academy and is 'one of our own', and when he eventually drops down the pecking order here and leaves for either a Championship club or newly promoted club, their fans will be nowhere near as forgiving.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Milo said:

Am I a bad person? 

The only one I like is Big Momma, she's.made.some good movies but her latest stank

12 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

Hamza Choudhury is average and will never become a regular in the Premier League. His complete lack of technical ability is largely ignored here because he came through our academy and is 'one of our own', and when he eventually drops down the pecking order here and leaves for either a Championship club or newly promoted club, their fans will be nowhere near as forgiving.

‘Average’

12 hours ago, Milo said:

Am I a bad person? 

Awful person