Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Furry muff, I scrolled quickly past most of the previous conversation.  I guess if you're after the whole shebang then yeah it's probably not the most interesting place.  I've never looked at their sweets rack and thought any of it looked inviting.

At first glance, I thought you were about to announce  with 'furry muff' the extremely unpopular niche of going natural.

I'd say that WOULD be an unpopular opinion. Disgusting.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Mate keep politics in the politics threads, don't bring it over to other places. 

You're making this point in the ‘unpopular opinions you hold’ thread because that has never brushed into politics has it….? Mmmhhh

Are you a Tory?

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Who goes to Subway for a cookie though?  I'm pretty keen on Subway, one foot long is just as filling as going to Burger King or Maccy D's except it's cheaper, fresher and healthier.   If I'm low on supplies I'll sometimes just stroll down and get myself 2 foot longs and that's me sorted for the day for about £12/13 which isn't bad at all for restaurant prepped food.

£13 a day on food and it is spent at subway? That’s mad budgeting man 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

£13 a day on food and it is spent at subway? That’s mad budgeting man 

You underestimate the value of having to do feck all food prep in the grotty hole I call a kitchen once my housemates have passed through it.

On 29/10/2019 at 21:32, UniFox21 said:

Too many people use "bad mental health day" or "bad mental health" to avoid doing things or get out of things. I agree that many do suffer and it's horrible when that is the case, but I feel many now use it as a go to excuse for things knowing people will leave them alone and not ask questions.

Do you have any reliable evidence of this?

10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Mate keep politics in the politics threads, don't bring it over to other places. 

So in a thread entitled "Unpopular Opinions That You Hold" presumably he is also supposed to avoid "bringing over" amongst others, general sport and football, music, film, computer gaming, food, travel, traffic, gambling...and Keith Vaz?

It's just that you'll tend to find that politics tend to feature quite prominently in a thread eliciting 'unpopular opinions' that's all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Do you have any reliable evidence of this?

Reliable probably not; I've known people who have faked or exaggerated issues to get medical notes for university extensions and exemptions. 

People also fake illnesses to get time off work so it's not a shock to think people fake mental health things to get out of things. 

Comedians are shit in general but female comedians tend to be worse. Comedians completely lack self-awareness now, any sort of political comedy is really unoriginal tepid stuff material. Trump and Brexit jokes have been done to death and flogging an eviscerated horse just gets worse.

I'm not even keen on Geoff Norcott but at least he has a different take to most mainstream comedy.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Comedians are shit in general but female comedians tend to be worse. Comedians completely lack self-awareness now, any sort of political comedy is really unoriginal tepid stuff material. Trump and Brexit jokes have been done to death and flogging an eviscerated horse just gets worse.

I'm not even keen on Geoff Norcott but at least he has a different take to most mainstream comedy.

I find that a lot of comedians have a shelf life. They burst onto the scene with their material and either run out and disappear or get watered down by being over-exposed or diversify on the wrong track. Peter Kay is an example of someone who has bucked this trend.

Prime examples of me are Michael McIntyre and John Bishop. Burst on and were fresh, new, different (well, I thought so anyway, comedy is subjective after all) and were well worth a watch with their stand up routines. Now I wouldn't bother trying. Maybe it's me, but I genuinely think over exposure plays a part.

James Acaster is probably the one comedian I'd seek out to watch at the minute, maybe Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie to You, too.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

James Acaster is probably the one comedian I'd seek out to watch at the minute

I'm a fan too but he'll get stale soon as well. There's only so long the quirky, irreverent style stuff will be fresh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'm a fan too but he'll get stale soon as well. There's only so long the quirky, irreverent style stuff will be fresh

Tbf he's been quite prominent for four years or so now, and he's still great value, even if at times he's started to sound like someone doing a bad impression of James Acaster.

7 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I find that a lot of comedians have a shelf life. They burst onto the scene with their material and either run out and disappear or get watered down by being over-exposed or diversify on the wrong track. Peter Kay is an example of someone who has bucked this trend.

Prime examples of me are Michael McIntyre and John Bishop. Burst on and were fresh, new, different (well, I thought so anyway, comedy is subjective after all) and were well worth a watch with their stand up routines. Now I wouldn't bother trying. Maybe it's me, but I genuinely think over exposure plays a part.

James Acaster is probably the one comedian I'd seek out to watch at the minute, maybe Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie to You, too.

One of the disappointments of my life was seeing Ben Elton live in the early 2000's

This man was a genius in the 80s, edgy, young, fresh and funny! But as you say, an expiry date exists and as a "comeback" tour he was an out of date, middle aged man who was even doing "mother in law" jokes.

On 31/10/2019 at 14:10, Stadt said:

agreed women comedians can be extremely cringe I think the only comedian I find funny at the moment is that Rob Becket.

• Like 1

I stopped watching panel shows on comedy shows on TV so I get less exposure to comedians now, especially British ones. 

So I've only seen James Acaster on his Netflix show, Repertoire. 

That's, honest to god, one of the funniest things I've ever seen. One of the best bits of stand up of the twenty first century, it's fantastic. Clever, funny, different. Loved it. 

Must have seen it about ten times and I still laugh. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I stopped watching panel shows on comedy shows on TV so I get less exposure to comedians now, especially British ones. 

That's, honest to god, one of the funniest things I've ever seen. One of the best bits of stand up of the twenty first century, it's fantastic. Clever, funny, different. Loved it. 

Acaster has been my favourite for years, it's a bizarre style yet still has a comedic structure that keeps it on track, you can't really tell what's coming next but not in a 'proper random banter lad' where it's all over the place for a couple cheap laughs. Nothing outright outrageous or offensive because the delivery on the simplest of jokes is on the money every time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Acaster has been my favourite for years, it's a bizarre style yet still has a comedic structure that keeps it on track, you can't really tell what's coming next but not in a 'proper random banter lad' where it's all over the place for a couple cheap laughs. Nothing outright outrageous or offensive because the delivery on the simplest of jokes is on the money every time. 

i havent watched the special but imre watching mock the week and hes easily one of the funniest panelists on there