Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

9 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I'd personally have a preference for flying on a service where alcohol isn't being consumed.   

I once booked a flight to Singapore with Brunei Airlines, not realising that they don't serve alcohol on the flight. This was ok with me as I don't like

drinking on a plane, but the bloke next to me came prepared and whipped out a bottle of whiskey as soon as we took off! I had to have a couple of beers when we stopped in Dubai just to deaden the pain of being stuck next to him!  

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm interested in who's going to be the new leader of the Lib Dems.

Now there's a genuinely unpopular opinion!

Any chance of it being anyone other than Ed Davey?

There's wall-to-wall media coverage of all the Labour leadership shenanigans but I've read nothing about your lot (always the case, I'm sure you'll say)....

What will the flagship policies of the Lib Dems be now, if it is to be Davey? A close post-Brexit relationship with the EU, I assume? Democratic reform? Climate change?

Out of interest, what kind of policies would you want to see promoted? I think we had the best manifesto at the general election but the electoral system and the media were the biggest hindrance. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, PaddyS said:

I once booked a flight to Singapore with Brunei Airlines, not realising that they don't serve alcohol on the flight. This was ok with me as I don't like

drinking on a plane, but the bloke next to me came prepared and whipped out a bottle of whiskey as soon as we took off! I had to have a couple of beers when we stopped in Dubai just to deaden the pain of being stuck next to him!  

Remember doing the same on China Air a few years back - smuggled a bottle of vodka on and got absolutely shitfaced. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Didnt Layla Moran come out as pansexual last week? A slightly posher and more liberal version of being bi I think. That's surely a vote winner among the LD membership?

I must admit that I had to Google "pansexual" when I saw that news item.

Good luck to her - but there's a bit of one-upmanship (one-up-personship?) there vis-à-vis bisexuals, isn't there? It's as if a pansexual experiences love/lust on such an elevated plane that they don't even notice whether someone seems male, female or anything else, whereas bisexuals are crudely obsessed with genitalia but happy with either set. 

When I've seen Layla interviewed, she comes across as a better potential leader than either Davey or Swinson....even if those glasses do make her look like old photos of yer auntie or great-aunt when she was a young woman in the 1950s.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Out of interest, what kind of policies would you want to see promoted? I think we had the best manifesto at the general election but the electoral system and the media were the biggest hindrance. 

Although Clive Lewis performed badly on Newsnight, one point that I agree with him on is that parties on the centre-left (and other compatible interest groups) should work together more, instead of acting as rivals and allowing the Right to dominate politics.

There are plenty of Lib Dem policies that I like: e.g. electoral reform, decentralization of power, higher priority to the environment, avoiding too much state control, pro-EU (though that will have to be adapted for now, at least).

On other issues, Labour has better instincts: redistribution, public investment, regulation of capitalism etc.

Anyway, better not gab on about politics in here or we'll make ourselves unpopular in the unpopular opinions thread....

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

I watched a fair wack of media coverage and a few interviews of the lib dems bunch, literally the only manifesto pledge I could name is "STOP MUH BREXIT". The manifesto might have been ace, they really should have tried saying more of it mind.

Take That were actually a decent boy band and have matured well. Gary Barlow is a nice bloke and decent songwriter as is Mark Owen.

And they're better off without Robbie "the ego" Williams.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

On 08/01/2020 at 00:25, foxile5 said:

Hahaha. 

It's not just for me! The kids don't enjoy it, either, and there's very few reasons for children that young to be out of the country. 

We took a 5 y.o. & 7 y.o. to Perth and back, 17 hrs each way non stop.

Absolutely fine.

Its the adults who think a plane is a gym in the sky who are the problem. 

13 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Out of interest, what kind of policies would you want to see promoted? I think we had the best manifesto at the general election but the electoral system and the media were the biggest 

Nm :rolleyes:

Edited by z-layrex

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Liverpool's recruitment isn't as amazing as the media make it out to be.

Two of their best players where scouted and brought to this league by Southampton. Most their signings don't take geniuses to work out they'll be good.

One a similar note, and i can't remember if I posted this before but thought it a while, Salah isn't that good. Sure he can finish, and he has great movement, but he also misses a lot and isn't overly skillful, he just causes chaos. His decision making is so poor at times, he never ever sees the pass. In the spurs game earlier he got played the ball near the edge of the box, was held up by a defender and turned back, and as he did that Henderson (I think) appeared just inside for a square ball that would have given him a huge gap to run into and a decent chance of scoring. So what does Salah do? Spin round, try and beat the defender, get forced wide and put in a shit cross to nobody. Its recurring theme with him. I'm sure his scoring records will give him a ton of credit with Liverpool fans, but I'd be getting seriously frustrated with him if he played for my team.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Two of their best players where scouted and brought to this league by Southampton. Most their signings don't take geniuses to work out they'll be good.

One a similar note, and i can't remember if I posted this before but thought it a while, Salah isn't that good. Sure he can finish, and he has great movement, but he also misses a lot and isn't overly skillful, he just causes chaos. His decision making is so poor at times, he never ever sees the pass. In the spurs game earlier he got played the ball near the edge of the box, was held up by a defender and turned back, and as he did that Henderson (I think) appeared just inside for a square ball that would have given him a huge gap to run into and a decent chance of scoring. So what does Salah do? Spin round, try and beat the defender, get forced wide and put in a shit cross to nobody. Its recurring theme with him. I'm sure his scoring records will give him a ton of credit with Liverpool fans, but I'd be getting seriously frustrated with him if he played for my team.

Salah misses plenty of chances before he scores plus seems so greedy. I've always rated Mane and I think he's better than Salah. If Salah goes through on goal, he'll shoot no dobut about it, where as Mane/Firminho seem to be more aware of who's up with them to pass to.

edit: But of course, if Liverpool offered us Salah I wouldn't say no ;)

Edited by Fox92

54 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Exactly. No doubt they've made some good buys, but a fair few have been a teams best player(s) and they've bought them up. 

Salah is a good finisher but as you've explained; isn't a complete player due to his lack of interest in actively assisting others.

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Salah is definitely way too greedy. But he scores enough goals to shrug off any real criticism. 

Well the team are winning every week to, so poor decisions won't be picked up on because they aren't costing them. If the race was tighter and liverpool were dropping points I'm sure they'd be on his back.

Edited by Facecloth

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I ****ing hate VAR, but I don’t get the uproar about the new handball rule stopping goals. Why should you gain an advantage by handling it? 

It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental, you don’t always mean to foul players but you get punished for it. 

So why aren't defenders punished the same way?

6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

They are aren’t they? I thought that the new rule states regardless of intent, if the ball is heading towards goal, it’s a penalty. 

Well I've certainly seen a couple this season where that's not the case. And the ball doesn't have to be handled towards goal for an attacker to be punished, so why does it have to handled away be for a defender? In the Liverpool Man City game earlier this season TAA handled a ball going across the box that prevented it getting to an attacker in the centre of the area. It was deemed he was too close to the ball for it to count. An attacker, like Rice yesterday, wouldn't get that let off.

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well I've certainly seen a couple this season where that's not the case. And the ball doesn't have to be handled towards goal for an attacker to be punished, so why does it have to handled away be for a defender? In the Liverpool Man City game earlier this season TAA handled a ball going across the box that prevented it getting to an attacker in the centre of the area. It was deemed he was too close to the ball for it to count. An attacker, like Rice yesterday, wouldn't get that let off.

I would’ve thought because of the end result. If it prevents or results in a goal? The TAA absolutely should’ve been a penalty though. 

but waiting for the end result, or basing any decision on what happens after the offence is ridiculous. 

that’s like saying let’s wait to see if a player is properly injured before we decide if it’s a foul. or let’s wait and see if someone scores before we decide whether anything happened beforehand. 

if it’s handball it’s handball and it should be called there and then. and it should be the same for any player anywhere on the pitch. same as offside. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I would’ve thought because of the end result. If it prevents or results in a goal? The TAA absolutely should’ve been a penalty though. 

Well the TAA incident is the perfect example of how stupid this rule is actually. Bernardo Silva was the one who put the ball across, but in doing so was falling over and inadvertently caught the ball with his hand, completely by accident. Had the ball made it to his teammate and they scored, it would have been ruled out anyway. TAA clearly made himself bigger, has his arm out to the side extended away from his body, but it was deemed to close for him to react, so no penalty. Now at the time they said VAR had said that as the Silva handball didn't lead to a goal that didn't affect the penalty decision.

How is it fair? The attacker falling over accidentally touching the ball with his hand, we know would have chalked any goal off, but a defender with his arm sticking out blocking a cross doesn't result in a penalty.

53 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

but waiting for the end result, or basing any decision on what happens after the offence is ridiculous. 

that’s like saying let’s wait to see if a player is properly injured before we decide if it’s a foul. or let’s wait and see if someone scores before we decide whether anything happened beforehand. 

if it’s handball it’s handball and it should be called there and then. and it should be the same for any player anywhere on the pitch. same as offside. 

No, I’m not saying we should wait for and end result. It’s should be purely a judgement call on whether the ball is going in. 

Handball should be handball anywhere but you don’t get penalties for the same infringements as you would on the half way line. 

I’d still get rid of VAR in a heartbeat and have referees miss all these accidental handballs, but pundits blaming the handball rule instead of VAR is bollocks. Accidental or not, you shouldn’t score when you’ve handled it. 

Edited by RonnieTodger