Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

VAR seems good, new handball rule seems good.

I've heard people complain it's unfair on attackers but in my opinion a goal shouldn't result from a handball even if it could be unintentional. Likewise you don't want penalties given for accidental handballs. Both rules compliment each other : we don't want goals scored by handball decisions wherever possible. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

VAR seems good, new handball rule seems good.

I've heard people complain it's unfair on attackers but in my opinion a goal shouldn't result from a handball even if it could be unintentional. Likewise you don't want penalties given for accidental handballs. Both rules compliment each other : we don't want goals scored by handball decisions wherever possible. 

I don't want people punching the ball into the net like Boly did last season, but I don't have an issue if the ball bounces up and hits a players arm. If you wouldn't give a penalty for I don't see why you'd disallow a goal for it.

36 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I don't want people punching the ball into the net like Boly did last season, but I don't have an issue if the ball bounces up and hits a players arm. If you wouldn't give a penalty for I don't see why you'd disallow a goal for it.

That's fair enough. I like the current rule. 

47 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Cynical fouls are part of the game and have been for years.

I dont like real madrid but Valverde shouldnt get slating for his last man hack. I'd expect Evan or Cags to do the same for us.

Isn’t that the normal opinion? Most stuff I have seen has said he did the right thing, unjust as it is.

I think we should LOSE the second leg semi final against Villa.   The Royal family has had a pretty torrid time of late with that young rascal Prince Harry doing a bunk, and at least it would put a smile back on Prince Williams face as he is an ardent Villains fan.   This feel good factor would rub off on the rest of the po faced buggers and we could hold our heads high knowing we had done our bit for Queen and country.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I think we should LOSE the second leg semi final against Villa.   The Royal family has had a pretty torrid time of late with that young rascal Prince Harry doing a bunk, and at least it would put a smile back on Prince Williams face as he is an ardent Villains fan.   This feel good factor would rub off on the rest of the po faced buggers and we could hold our heads high knowing we had done our bit for Queen and country.

i think we should ditch the royal family then everyone's appy

10 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Funny photos thread has been mainly rubbish lately.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Lately? It’s almost always had about 1 in 8 posts that are actually good

Feel free to help improve the quality :thumbup:

On 12/01/2020 at 10:02, RonnieTodger said:

I ****ing hate VAR, but I don’t get the uproar about the new handball rule stopping goals. Why should you gain an advantage by handling it? 

It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental, you don’t always mean to foul players but you get punished for it. 

The reason the handball rule was brought in back in the 19th century - was to stop people picking up the ball, throwing, blocking or bouncing it - which fundamentally changes the nature, set up, strategy and spectacle of the game and one of the major positions association football split from rugby football.

If the ball simply hits your hand unintentionally it does not fundamentally change the nature, strategy or the spectacle of the game like deliberately being able to handle the ball would. 

Why exactly should that be a foul for simply hitting a part of your body?

If a player accidentally brings down an opponent while trying to make a challenge - that's part of the risk vs reward of defending and attacking and when to time the defence. If you made it fine to accidentally foul someone then you're fundamentally changing the nature of the game and defending and how players try to time defensive actions completely changes.

Accidental handball being punished is a completely nonsensical and arbitrary rule - at the fundamental level - what is even the reason as to why the ball simply hitting your hand should be punished or even matter? It's just hitting a random part of your body - throwing, catching or blocking the ball with your hand make sense to be illegal because it's a completely different game if they aren't - but the ball hitting your hand accidentally? Why should that matter? What difference does it make?

I'm willing to hear an argument otherwise but I can't see how punishing accidental handball is it anything other than an arbitrary punishment for no apparent reason that makes absolutely no sense to the fundamental rules of the game.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/01/2020 at 00:42, Sampson said:

The reason the handball rule was brought in back in the 19th century - was to stop people picking up the ball, throwing, blocking or bouncing it - which fundamentally changes the nature, set up, strategy and spectacle of the game and one of the major positions association football split from rugby football.

If the ball simply hits your hand unintentionally it does not fundamentally change the nature, strategy or the spectacle of the game like deliberately being able to handle the ball would. 

If a player accidentally brings down an opponent while trying to make a challenge - that's part of the risk vs reward of defending and attacking and when to time the defence. If you made it fine to accidentally foul someone then you're fundamentally changing the nature of the game and defending and how players try to time defensive actions completely changes.

Accidental handball being punished is a completely nonsensical and arbitrary rule - at the fundamental level - what is even the reason as to why the ball simply hitting your hand should be punished or even matter? It's just hitting a random part of your body - throwing, catching or blocking the ball with your hand make sense to be illegal because it's a completely different game if they aren't - but the ball hitting your hand accidentally? Why should that matter? What difference does it make?

I'm willing to hear an argument otherwise but I can't see how punishing accidental handball is it anything other than an arbitrary punishment for no apparent reason that makes absolutely no sense to the fundamental rules of the game.

You’ve misunderstood my point. I don’t want accidental fouls to not be punished, it’s just part of the game. What people are failing to understand is that this new rule was brought in because of VAR, as they will be looking at everything under a microscope.

There’s been a grey area surrounding it for years and what the new rule has done has brought in some clarity. It is arbitrary but handball always has been unless somebody punches it. You mention handball as the team punished, but you’d feel hard done by if a we have a shot heading for the top corner and it’s accidentally blocked by an outstretched elbow. 

On 18/01/2020 at 00:42, Sampson said:

You could say the same about offside, yet offside is offside. The biggest problem for me is it can be difficult to determine if an accidental handball is really accidental or not. 

13 minutes ago, oakman said:

Just seen the sad news that Terry Jones has died. Sure my opinion will be VERY unpopular but I never got the love-in for Monty Python. Tried watching many times and I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Agreed, never found it funny personally.

21 minutes ago, oakman said:

Just seen the sad news that Terry Jones has died. Sure my opinion will be VERY unpopular but I never got the love-in for Monty Python. Tried watching many times and I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Agreed, never found it funny personally.

Came here to say pretty much the same. I've seen plenty of it, but just don't find it funny 

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

Planes on short haul journeys (less than 4 hrs) should not have reclining seats.

It's incredibly selfish to recline your seat on a short haul flight and I say this as a tall person.

Not an unpopular opinion.  I ask people to put their seat up if they recline it on a short haul.  No-one has refused yet.