Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 08/02/2020 at 23:26, BoyJones said:

Look at the Big Issue sellers today, like outside sainsburys on Queens Road, it's been taken over by Eastern Europeans who have homes to go to. Just a con. 

I think I know the one you mean. She has been there for years, winter, summer rain or shine. I think she is Romanian.

I once lived in Brighton and the police stopped one of the Big Issue sellers. The press report (no internet then!) said he lived in Tunbridge Wells, had a nice flat, 'commuted' to Brighton every day and his estimated income was more than mine with a salary and a mortgage.

7 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

They don't have a clue what it's likes to eat cabbage five days a week, go to school in trousers and jumpers with holes in them and wear second hand balaclavas in winter in the mile walk to school. No heating upstairs or social services to help you out because you can't get your backside out of bed. 

Even in the late 70's, my wife and I lived on beans on toast for the last 10 days before payday, preferring to feed our children first. Anybody under 50 knows F all about austerity, so STFU trying to score points.

I didn't realise Tony Capstick came from Leicester! Can we have it in a Leicester accent as well?

4 hours ago, Sly said:

I don’t understand the outpouring of grief for Caroline Flack. She beat her fella of the head with a lamp allegedly. Therefore she’s a domestic abuser. If the shoe was on the other foot and a bloke had done it, half the social media world would be celebrating. 

Also if the shoe was on the other foot, suicide would prove he is guilty of what he 'allegedly' did. If anything the belief now seems to make her less guilty!?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

She was 40 years old, and it's the worst thing any family could ever go through. Yes social media is a full of attention seekers, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a pretty horrific thing to happen.  

She was also pretty much at the peak of her career.At least up until a couple of months ago.I don’t think this is any different to a high profile footballer dying in similar circumstances.Not surprised people are shocked.It’s tragic. 

4 hours ago, Sly said:

I don’t understand the outpouring of grief for Caroline Flack. She beat her fella of the head with a lamp allegedly. Therefore she’s a domestic abuser. If the shoe was on the other foot and a bloke had done it, half the social media world would be celebrating. 

The word "allegedly" is big here. Lets be honest, there's now only one person in the World that actually knows what happened.

And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't know that much about her, I don't watch programmes she presented. It's obviously a sad situation for her family, she was only 40 and had a good career.

I do agree, however, that a man would perhaps be treated different. Also if a man in his 30's went out with a teenage girl he'd be looked upon strangely (remember she went out with Harry Styles when he was 17 or 18).

• Like 1

The idea of "sticks and stones may break my bones but words do not hurt me" is a bloody dangerous fallacy. In long:

"words have toppled governments, words have brought low religions, words have the power to make normal people into monsters or heroes, words create entire worlds and universes, words bring people together and tear them apart, words do and have killed just as words have also saved.

words are the expression of ideals and thoughts and are in fact one of the most powerful tools however in mouths of the careless, ignorant, and bigoted they are without a doubt one of the most devastating weapons which inflicts pain and suffering across all senses and indeed across the span of time from generation to generation."

In short; folks who think words don't have the power to hurt and destroy evidently never spent quality time in the company of a lawyer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The rush to find who's to blame for her very sad death is typical of the modern era.

Also the fact that a number of people pointing the figure at the press no doubt are very opinionated on social media themselves at other people.

• Like 1

I find it weird how everyone loves to berate Stan Collymore about domestic abuse, but conveniently forget when it comes to Paul Gascoigne.

For what it's worth, I think the Caroline Flack story is very sad. She's clearly struggled with a lot of demons and must have been given so much grief even prior to the trial. What she allegedly did was awful, but ****ing hell surely no-one wanted her to die?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The rush to find who's to blame for her very sad death is typical of the modern era.

I disagree-  I think this time around,  it is genuine anger towards the role media played in her death.   I am not saying the media is to be fully blamed or that they have even played a role in her death at all,  it could be down to other internal factors that we are not aware about.    However the anger and the resulting debate about the accountability, hypocrisy (see Piers Morgan cough cough)  and ethics of the media is well over due as it appears that the average Joes are getting involved this time around which is refreshing. 

I just think it is more of  overdue outpouring of the pented up issues around the accountability of the media rather than actual blaming seeking.  

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

This is what frustrates me so much about the modern era, as Geoff puts it. The #MeToo thing has created a culture of hate mobs and bullies who persecute, prosecute and execute based on allegation alone. The media has also played its part. There's no due process any more.

Johnny Depp was accused of domestic violence against his wife Amber Heard, had death threats, petitions and boycotts to get him removed from films, and lost his most famous and profitable role of Jack Sparrow. Then it turns out that he was the ****ing victim, and there's now basically a press blackout on it.

As you say, there's only one person that now that knows what happened between Flack and her boyfriend. But she didn't have to die. She didn't have to be thrown to the wolves. This didn't need to happen. She was vulnerable, and whatever she was accused of, needed help.

Pretty much this. 

Imo, the whole metoo movement was needed, it's given women a platform for speaking about abuse and provided the ears to listen and groups to support. But it needs to be possible to believe what these women are saying AND for the alleged "attackers" to be treated as innocent until proven guilty. Otherwise you'll get things like this Amber Johnny crap all the time. 

"No one will believe you" was the problem in the first place ffs. 

On 16/02/2020 at 12:40, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Now seeing the CPS getting grief. Is that the legacy people want from this tragedy - for prosecutors to get more nervous about pressing ahead with domestic violence cases when the alleged victim withdraws their complaint?

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Now seeing the CPS getting grief. Is that the legacy people want from this tragedy - for prosecutors to get more nervous about pressing ahead with domestic violence cases when the alleged victim withdraws their complaint?

The press, the media, social media, the CPS etc etc etc.

Sometimes there's no single thing.

People want a scapegoat for everything these days.

"It's this paper, it's this magazine, it's this TV show, it's this social media outlet..."

The amount of hypocrisy out there is staggering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The press, the media, social media, the CPS etc etc etc.

Sometimes there's no single thing.

People want a scapegoat for everything these days.

"It's this paper, it's this magazine, it's this TV show, it's this social media outlet..."

The amount of hypocrisy out there is staggering.

The same people tweeting #BeKind were piling on David Walliams the other day because he'd made a joke about her domestic violence case at the NTAs. It's easier to point the finger after a tragedy, it makes people feel righteous. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The same people tweeting #BeKind were piling on David Walliams the other day because he'd made a joke about her domestic violence case at the NTAs. It's easier to point the finger after a tragedy, it makes people feel righteous. 

The more I look at trending topics on Twitter the more I think it's a toxic place which isn't good for anyone's mental health.

It's such a hate-filled, negative cesspit these days. The 2019 GE stuff (from all sides) was horrendous.

If I was a famous celeb, I'd let my management deal with the social media accounts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The more I look at trending topics on Twitter the more I think it's a toxic place which isn't good for anyone's mental health.

It's such a hate-filled, negative cesspit these days. The 2019 GE stuff (from all sides) was horrendous.

If I was a famous celeb, I'd let my management deal with the social media accounts.

On twitter I have a load of words and accounts blocked because I don't want to see certain things but all social media is toxic, I agree. I only use twitter, I don't use facebook (deleted that a long time ago) and have never used Instagram (don't understand the idea/concept of it).

If I was famous I wouldn't get involved with it. It's a platform for anybody hidden behind a screen, a keyboard, a picture of their favourite celeb to say whatever they want. There will always be those celebs that just stay out the way of everything so nobody has any dirt on them (look at the likes of Kate Bush as an example, you literally hear nothing about her as she keeps everything private).

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 11:28, somebum said:

This pride shit is getting out of hand

Care to elaborate on this?

I've heard versions of the same opinion with wildly differing reasoning in the past; some which I agree with wholeheartedly and others which I've been appalled by...

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Pretty much this. 

Imo, the whole metoo movement was needed, it's given women a platform for speaking about abuse and provided the ears to listen and groups to support. But it needs to be possible to believe what these women are saying AND for the alleged "attackers" to be treated as innocent until proven guilty. Otherwise you'll get things like this Amber Johnny crap all the time. 

"No one will believe you" was the problem in the first place ffs. 

It was absolutely needed; victims (of BOTH genders) need to be empowered in order to get help and justice. But it very quickly became corrupted and exploited by people who took joy in destroying people's lives regardless of any truth in the allegations. Chris Hardwick was suspended from the Talking Dead because his ex wrote an article about someone abusing her. He's since been reinstated. Ed Westwick was accused of rape after he did a series for the BBC and they completely reshot his scenes with another actor. He was found completely innocent but his career still hasn't recovered. Matt Damon was treated like the devil, hounded, harassed, bullied, petitions to remove him from films, because he said that pinching someone on the arse was a horrible thing to do but it shouldn't be treated as if it's the same as rape. These hate mobs need to be held accountable and reminded that innocent until proven guilty is essential.

• Like 1