Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 22/01/2020 at 20:34, Jon the Hat said:

Yeah I'm with you.  Some funny moments, but they always dragged it out well past funny to boring shite.

I like it, but with everything not all of it's funny. Some of the episodes are class, the likes of the Spanish Inquisition. The films are legendary though, that proves how good Python were for me, Life of Brian is one of the funniest films of all time. And the influence they had/have is obviously big in comedy but even other things such as the term "spam email" comes from the Spam sketch.

Agree it was dragged out in the end hence Cleese left as he thought it became repatitive. I rarely watch the last series because of Cleese's absence.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Topical sporting unpopular opinion:

There's nothing wrong with Mankading. Batsmen shouldn't be trying to gain an advantage by stealing a few yards and should rightly be punished for it.

I've always agreed with this and never understood the furore over it. What is the batsman doing out his crease when the bowler runs up anyway?

It's considered "unsportsmanlike" but how is not "unsportsmanlike" for the batsman to get ready to start to run before the bowler has even bowled anyway.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 22:54, The Horse's Mouth said:

Thing is right, MK Dons is a good thing, Milton Keynes is a big area deserved a club and gives them somebody to support rather than be gloryhunting bastards. Wimbledon werent this massive club, or massive intuition known worldwide, they were a club which struggled to get half of what bournemouth are getting now in the premier league. I don't really like MK Dons on it's own, but this whole bollocks of they stole their club, well they havent have they they've still got their club, just get over it. 

I sympathise with AFC Wimbledon but the point above is often overlooked.

The modern day version would be moving Bournemouth to Gloucester or something and 'Bournemouth FC' being created and rising through the leagues. And no one would give a shit if that happened.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I sympathise with AFC Wimbledon but the point above is often overlooked.

The modern day version would be moving Bournemouth to Gloucester or something and 'Bournemouth FC' being created and rising through the leagues. And no one would give a shit if that happened.

Not really, Wimbledon rose through the league without financial doping. They were unique in their style and also won the FA cup when it actually meant something. But all that aside, I still think people would give a shit if it happened to Bournemouth and the FA should never have allowed it to happen to Wimbledon.

Why does it matter how many fans you have? It’s either acceptable or it isn’t. 

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 3

On 03/02/2020 at 09:54, The Horse's Mouth said:

Thing is right, MK Dons is a good thing, Milton Keynes is a big area deserved a club and gives them somebody to support rather than be gloryhunting bastards. Wimbledon werent this massive club, or massive intuition known worldwide, they were a club which struggled to get half of what bournemouth are getting now in the premier league. I don't really like MK Dons on it's own, but this whole bollocks of they stole their club, well they havent have they they've still got their club, just get over it. 

You’re wrong about their attendance, around the late 90s they were averaging around 18,000 - not far behind what we were getting at Filbert Street at the time.

Wimbledon weren’t a massive club, but were certainly bigger than Bournemouth, Burnley or Brighton that are in the Premier League now and were known pretty well globally.

They rose up from the non-League with their crazy gang attitudes, which didn’t really change from non league to premier league.

They played in the top flight for I would say at least 15 seasons, winning the FA Cup along the way - and if it wasn’t for the ban on English sides playing in Europe , they would have played in both the cup winners cup and the UEFA cup.

Their attendance dropped off when the new owners came in and talk of the relocation supporters boycotted games - similar to Coventry now.

They May have started small but they built into a mid size top division club, who certainly didn’t deserve to have their identity ripped away from them. 
MK are the only club I would be happy to see fold and fall away.

There was a non-league Milton Keynes team in the late 70s & early 80s: Milton Keynes City.

They played in the Southern League (about tier 6 at the time), were rubbish, got nowhere & folded.

Wimbledon were also in the Southern League (Premier - then tier 5) until the mid-70s, when they joined the league, moving up to the top division, FA Cup etc.

In the time that the first Wimbledon club went from non-league to Premier League & the second Wimbledon club went from not existing to League 1, Milton Keynes failed to build even a decent non-league club, despite being one of the biggest towns to not have a league club, then stole a club....and failed to achieve much with that.

At the end of the day, if you think a club's position in the football pyramid is justified because of the population of the place they're based in or the attendances they attract then football's finished.

"Wimbledon didn't have many fans." So what? The fans they did have cared deeply about their club as all of us do about Leicester. No supporter should have that torn away from them just because a chance arises to relocate it somewhere where people will only get on board with supporting their local team if they're already halfway decent.

• Like 2

That isn't just unpopular, it is utter nonsense.

• Like 1

They did steal their club though, and the fans had to create a new one...

If Coventry City FC moved up to Scarborough and we’re called ‘Scarborough Sky Blues’ it wouldn’t be the same club would it? 
As others have said, if Milton Keynes had started from scratch then great but they stole their place in the football league and the sooner they go non-league and bust the better. 

• Like 1

On 3 February 2020 at 12:24, Fox92 said:

I like it, but with everything not all of it's funny. Some of the episodes are class, the likes of the Spanish Inquisition. The films are legendary though, that proves how good Python were for me, Life of Brian is one of the funniest films of all time. And the influence they had/have is obviously big in comedy but even other things such as the term "spam email" comes from the Spam sketch.

Agree it was dragged out in the end hence Cleese left as he thought it became repatitive. I rarely watch the last series because of Cleese's absence.

I was at school when it was first on telly (I'm old, ok?) and developed a pretty healthy loathing of this programme.

Not so much the content - although maybe 80-90% was crap - more the cult of it, which struck me as relentlessly middle-class and up itself. Kids parroting (sorry) sketches to each other and a mindless acceptance that everything about it was genius/subversive when to me it was just annoying.

The kind of kids who walked round with album-sleeves of what they saw as deep or intellectual bands under their arms (Soft Machine, Barclay James Harvest) tended to love it. Or said they did.

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

At the end of the day, if you think a club's position in the football pyramid is justified because of the population of the place they're based in or the attendances they attract then football's finished.

"Wimbledon didn't have many fans." So what? The fans they did have cared deeply about their club as all of us do about Leicester. No supporter should have that torn away from them just because a chance arises to relocate it somewhere where people will only get on board with supporting their local team if they're already halfway decent.

That's the point though it wasnt torn away they've got their club get over it, this petty shit of taking the Don's out of their names in match day programmes is pathetic. Clubs in non league and foreign clubs merge and move all the time and they were effectively a non league team punching well above their weight anyway 

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

You’re wrong about their attendance, around the late 90s they were averaging around 18,000 - not far behind what we were getting at Filbert Street at the time.

Wimbledon weren’t a massive club, but were certainly bigger than Bournemouth, Burnley or Brighton that are in the Premier League now and were known pretty well globally.

They rose up from the non-League with their crazy gang attitudes, which didn’t really change from non league to premier league.

They played in the top flight for I would say at least 15 seasons, winning the FA Cup along the way - and if it wasn’t for the ban on English sides playing in Europe , they would have played in both the cup winners cup and the UEFA cup.

Their attendance dropped off when the new owners came in and talk of the relocation supporters boycotted games - similar to Coventry now.

They May have started small but they built into a mid size top division club, who certainly didn’t deserve to have their identity ripped away from them. 
MK are the only club I would be happy to see fold and fall away.

Dont you see the hypocrisy in claiming those fans had their club ripped away from them and yet being happy if MK went under and was ripped away from their fans? Say what you want about the process and how it was done, but those fans who turn up for MK Don's games had nothing to do with it and deserve a club as much as afc Wimbledon do 

27 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I was at school when it was first on telly (I'm old, ok?) and developed a pretty healthy loathing of this programme.

Not so much the content - although maybe 80-90% was crap - more the cult of it, which struck me as relentlessly middle-class and up itself. Kids parroting (sorry) sketches to each other and a mindless acceptance that everything about it was genius/subversive when to me it was just annoying.

The kind of kids who walked round with album-sleeves of what they saw as deep or intellectual bands under their arms (Soft Machine, Barclay James Harvest) tended to love it. Or said they did.

Now there's a band I haven't heard mentioned in years 

6 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Exactly this. It suited the narrative that MK Dons were somehow "saving" Wimbledon but actually the two things should be totally unrelated.

If Wimbledon had to dwindle out of business because it was unsustainable, or "had no fans" than that is sad of course but it is what it is. I'm sure Wimbledon would have survived in some capacity anyway, albeit further down the pyramind.

Likewise, if the good people of Milton Keynes who had spent decades wondering the town with no team to support (rather than all being Spurs fans for example), then there is no good reason why the couldn't have founded their own team and allowed to grow and naturally find their own level in the pyramid.

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If Rushden and Diamonds' Nene Park ground hadn't been demolished a few years ago, maybe Coventry City and Kettering Town could have made it their semi-permanent shared home.

I didn't know it had gone. Was a smart little football ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Brings back a school memory from the late 70s......

I went to an ultra-reactionary state grammar school. Our assemblies mainly came with hymns & prayers, but sometimes boys organised part of the assembly - and were allowed to play a stereo recording (within strict reactionary limits).

Nothing good like glam, punk, new wave, ska or reggae was allowed. Only classical or prog rock, as that was deemed suitably complicated and elitist or something.

At one assembly, the permitted recording was by Barclay James Harvest......except Tufty (the headmaster) announced it as Barclay James Stewart, which had all the long-haired, elitist prog rock tossers in scornful hysterics.

Not sure which I hated more, really, the head (subsequently dismissed for inappropriate beating of boys, I was told by another headmaster) or the prog rockers. School days.....the worst days of your life!

Just thought I'd share. No need to thank me. :D

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Dont you see the hypocrisy in claiming those fans had their club ripped away from them and yet being happy if MK went under and was ripped away from their fans? Say what you want about the process and how it was done, but those fans who turn up for MK Don's games had nothing to do with it and deserve a club as much as afc Wimbledon do 

No I don’t, but do you see the hypocrisy in your argument saying MK fans deserve a club but the Wimbledon fans don’t?

Twice Wimbledon have built clubs up from  nothing to playing league football, if MK fans deserved a club and wanted one so badly, they could have done the same.

If they has turned up week in week out when a club was battling at the bottom of the pyramid I’d see your point.

The fact is they stole someone else’s club, another set of supporters dreams and history because they didn’t want to go and watch non-league football. They didn’t want to build something from scratch. So no hypocrisy on my side, however quite a lot on your side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yeah - slightly unfair of me perhaps. They came to mind because they were managed by the brother of a lad I was at school with and kind of symbolised a lot that I felt was pretentious and out of touch with music at that time. 

On 02/02/2020 at 09:24, The Horse's Mouth said:

I'm with MK Don's on the whole Wimbledon saga 

14 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

This petty shit of taking the Don's out of their names in match day programmes is pathetic. 

I'm with you.

How MKD came about was obviously wrong and will NEVER happen again. But the pettiness from AFC W towards MKD is embarrassing. 

I don't get why some fans despise MKD so much and want them to go out of business.

What happened happened. It wasn't right but, fifteen years on, just crack the fook on and be mature about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm with you.

How MKD came about was obviously wrong and will NEVER happen again. But the pettiness from AFC W towards MKD is embarrassing. 

I don't get why some fans despise MKD so much and want them to go out of business.

What happened happened. It wasn't right but, fifteen years on, just crack the fook on and be mature about it.

Really? So if someone decided to basically kill us and move us to somewhere like Reading it wouldn't bother you? The "pettiness" is justified from AFC Wimbledon fans for me, but as a neutral I don't personally hate MK Dons or their fans. In fact I quite enjoyed going to MK Dons away when we were in League One.

• Like 1

Now that they've been around for a while why dont MK Dons just drop the Dons bit and have a think with their fans about adopting a different suffix?

Its not as if its special to them and Winkelman isn't even involved any more is he?

Scratch that - he's still the Chairman. And **** me somehow he's only 62. He must have the One Ring stashed at home somewhere.

Edited by ealingfox

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Really? So if someone decided to basically kill us and move us to somewhere like Reading it wouldn't bother you? The "pettiness" is justified from AFC Wimbledon fans for me, but as a neutral I don't personally hate MK Dons or their fans. In fact I quite enjoyed going to MK Dons away when we were in League One.

Of course it would "bother me". But as the old saying roughly goes, holding onto anger is like drinking poison yourself yet hoping it'll kill someone else.

The pettiness I'm referring to is how AFCW as a club treat MKD at games, in match programmes, on social media etc

We can't go back and change what happened - which was totally wrong - but it's 15 years now. 

And, like you, I enjoy my visits to MKD, they seem a really good club, notwithstanding their awful birth.