Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

can we have a hipster thread? 

Can't you just use absolute cnuts of our time?

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Italian food is good and all, but I don't get it as de facto best food nation. Nearly all Balkan, western Mediterranean and Black Sea countries (I'm less familiar with Russian and Ukrainian food though to make a judgement) do much better food.

Greek and Georgian food in particular are the food of the gods and many times better Italian food.

French food on the other food is mediocre, underportioned and overpriced and by far the most overrated national food.

A good family/street food Greek, Georgian, Turkish or Balkan place will always beat the most fancy, high class French or Italian restaurant in terms of every aspect you can think of - quality and quantity of food, much cheaper food, much better service, nicer staff (less likely to feel they're looking down on you and genuinely seem more interested in the individual guests) and way better atmosphere.

The former countries understand how to do food properly - everyone eating as big groups of friends or families (often with 3 generations), order loads of dishes to try - bring huge portions as it's considered rude to finish your plate in those countries as it shows you consider the service not good enough and the food is always spot on.

After Webbo's declaration about Lasagna I was going to post that Italian food, both in it's authentic Italian and anglicised form, isn't great and definitely not worthy of it's status. I love simple food that uses a few, fresh ingredients that deliver bags of flavour but for me the Italian's do that in the main do that in the most boring way. Risotto is one of my favourites things in the world but otherwise not keen on their approach. So yes, fully on board with Greek, Turkish and Balkan food being much better (no idea on Georgian) , as is Iberian food, as are many cuisines. 

But then you have decided to go in on French food and you couldn't be more wrong. In terms of technique, diversity and sophistication nowhere beats France imo and the influence on modern food across the world is obvious. You seem to have compared apples and oranges, obviously high class French restaurants are going to seem underportioned and overpriced but if you go to a sort of family French restaurant or find yourself somewhere in Burgundy or Normandy, you'll get get a French variation of the Greek taverna experience, yeah they might be a bit aloof but that's not the food, that's just the French for you. 

Big difference between food in Northern Italy and the South. Food in Sicily is incredible, but then so are most other things in Sicily. Food in the North was pretty crap, had much better stuff on a regular basis living in the Balkans. Best food I had was probably during a trip to Eastern Turkey and Syria about ten years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

After Webbo's declaration about Lasagna I was going to post that Italian food, both in it's authentic Italian and anglicised form, isn't great and definitely not worthy of it's status. I love simple food that uses a few, fresh ingredients that deliver bags of flavour but for me the Italian's do that in the main do that in the most boring way. Risotto is one of my favourites things in the world but otherwise not keen on their approach. So yes, fully on board with Greek, Turkish and Balkan food being much better (no idea on Georgian) , as is Iberian food, as are many cuisines. 

But then you have decided to go in on French food and you couldn't be more wrong. In terms of technique, diversity and sophistication nowhere beats France imo and the influence on modern food across the world is obvious. You seem to have compared apples and oranges, obviously high class French restaurants are going to seem underportioned and overpriced but if you go to a sort of family French restaurant or find yourself somewhere in Burgundy or Normandy, you'll get get a French variation of the Greek taverna experience, yeah they might be a bit aloof but that's not the food, that's just the French for you. 

French being  Aloof,usually in Tourist spots...After Living in both Belgium & France,only once in Paris,and once in Toulouse have I come across sourpuss waiters.

I always tended to go to find backstreet Restaurants,and Nice of all places had One of the best New year Nights ever,und

(the best a  local Night Club in majorca/Spain,food and drinks from 22:00 - 01:00 in price,food kept Coming until 4:00. Great host)

Waiters and waitresses are The best Source of information,the World over,especially Local family Backstreet restaurants...Often interfacing immediately then with Local customers.

Love Greek & Balkan restaurants,they tend to have more time,for each table,even when busy.Though again in Italy,the backstreet Local restaurants are a charm..

My Wife and I like to try/share 3-5, dishes, Then tell them before ordering our thoughts,Italy with their 1st/2nd/3rd dishes understand and then like the Greeks/Libyans/Balkans/Portugese etc will offer ( Not always but more often than not) a Type of mezas, choices of Mixes dishes...Especially when They realise,you  are wanting to be  Making an evening of it not,Shooting off in an hour...or in a rush.

Edited by fuchsntf

Old people should be taken care of by their own children or relatives instead of being put in a nursing home in their old age just waiting to die. (Unless they need medical attention 24/7).

Edited by the fox

23 minutes ago, the fox said:

Old people should be taken care of by their own children or relatives instead of being put in a nursing home in their old age just waiting to die. (Unless they need medical attention 24/7).

Isnt thatt the more traditional ideal i would go further and say children should be looked after at home until they are infant school age not sent to nurseries. Feminism / Womens lib has a lot to answer for it has lead to a place where working class women can no longer decide to have a job for a little bit of pin money but have to work to survive. Wages of women havent risen to that of mens, Mens has fallen to that of womens. Womens pension age has risen to that of mens neither sex got the percieved benefits the other had it was as so many things in our society are a race to the bottom. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, the fox said:

Love to do it,but my dad is 89 with Dementia and I've not seen him for Two months.......so yes you win this thread,but their is another one Cnuts of our time,which i'd put you in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

Isnt thatt the more traditional ideal i would go further and say children should be looked after at home until they are infant school age not sent to nurseries. Feminism / Womens lib has a lot to answer for it has lead to a place where working class women can no longer decide to have a job for a little bit of pin money but have to work to survive. Wages of women havent risen to that of mens, Mens has fallen to that of womens. Womens pension age has risen to that of mens neither sex got the percieved benefits the other had it was as so many things in our society are a race to the bottom. 

I wouldn't put all the blame on feminism and economy even though I think they share a lot of the blame.

I put it down to social conditioning. Many movies make fun of anyone who's 18+ living with his parents. South American, African, Asian, and especially Arab communities generally have a much worse economy than the western countries yet the children don't seem to leave home after turning 18 for the most part. For me, the age of maturity should be signifying a change of the guard, where the child shares the burden gradually with the parent, finds out how the world works, get some experience until he's old enough to care for the whole family and give his old people time to relax instead of treating maturity as the time to finally leave the "nest", which ironically leaves every future generation in a much worse place than the previous one. Leave home at 18, struggling to pay your expenses, then when you barely can start a family, you will find yourself deep in debt, a mortgage/rent to pay, and a job that doesn't pay enough because you were forced to work any job that you can to pay your debt/living expenses and start your own family. It becomes a vicious circle were the parent barely can pay for living expenses so an 18 year old has to leave. Rinse and repeat. 

Unless your parents need hospital care, you should do your best to not put them in a stranger's care.

Edited by the fox

2 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

Not all women either are, or want to be, mothers though. Rightly so, the world is over populated as it is.

9 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Not all women either are, or want to be, mothers though. Rightly so, the world is over populated as it is.

The world is not overpopulated. It's the people who eat too much, waste to many resources, and pollute the environment that are the problem. Fast food chains are one of the biggest criminals when it comes to wasting food.

The world is big enough and the technology is advanced enough for everyone to live and eat. But when you have people who would rather dump millions of pounds of good, fresh food instead of injecting it into the market in fear of hurting their profit margins, you will obviously find the living expenses too high and the food not good enough to go around.

Edit: I agree that not all women want to start a family.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nalis said:

Its Not over populated,just poorly organised..

Those Healthy women who Don t want to be mothers....Should Not forget .their mother Bore them...!!!

the birth of One human..is hope for the rest...

I am an egoistic,chauvinist.....%&#@*

Edited by fuchsntf

The world IS overpopulated for the amount of food and water we will want as more and more society's move inevitably towards a perceived more desirable standing, such as those seen in first world countries. The uptake in meat eating is one particular stand out, and that alone has a huge cost on resources.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Talksport's breakfast show is actually really good

Must admit I haven't listened to much of it since being furloughed, but I used to love Thursdays when it'd be Alan, Ally and Laura.

Is Flintoff any good? Was expecting him to be a bit too bantz.

46 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Must admit I haven't listened to much of it since being furloughed, but I used to love Thursdays when it'd be Alan, Ally and Laura.

Is Flintoff any good? Was expecting him to be a bit too bantz.

Yeah he's alright on it to be fair, I thought the same but he's decent value. The form dips a bit on Wednesdays when its Woods / Flintoff / Bent*, but the peak days are obviously Big Al with Ally / Romford on Thursdays and Fridays.

*I've heard Darren Bent actually talk a fair bit of sense on various stuff and he seems a likeable bloke but not sure he's quite suited to the nature of that sweet ass brekker show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

The world IS overpopulated for the amount of food and water we will want as more and more society's move inevitably towards a perceived more desirable standing, such as those seen in first world countries. The uptake in meat eating is one particular stand out, and that alone has a huge cost on resources.

13 hours ago, the fox said:

The world is not overpopulated. It's the people who eat too much, waste to many resources, and pollute the environment that are the problem. Fast food chains are one of the biggest criminals when it comes to wasting food.

The world is big enough and the technology is advanced enough for everyone to live and eat. But when you have people who would rather dump millions of pounds of good, fresh food instead of injecting it into the market in fear of hurting their profit margins, you will obviously find the living expenses too high and the food not good enough to go around.

Little bit from A and a little bit from B for me here. I'm of the opinion that resource scarcity is the vast majority of the time down to logistical and societal issues rather than caused by overpopulation, but at the same time the further away we move away from having to conform to "traditional" family and gender roles and ideals the happier more people will be.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

Incredibly strange logic here blaming feminism for making all of us apparently worse off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If We Use reasoning,und organisation,there is no problem...

but we always go OTT with Everything and Too many rash necessary businesses over do it,without honest control...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Footballing aside, the beatification of Rio Ferdinand - 2 different shows over 2 nights about his suffering over the  tragic early death of his wife. I’ve no doubt he was devastated about her her death but I think a lot of it is guilt as he cheated on her constantly in their marriage. All the shows make him out as the devoted father, doting husband and perfect family man.

On 12/05/2020 at 23:08, the fox said:

Agreed that humans need to utilise our resources more wisely but its a human trait to want more and its almost impossible to get everyone to think in the matter you mention which is why I stand by my original comment.