Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

You're asking for an objective explanation of the subjective though really. What are you looking for in an answer? Equations and diagrams?

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

@leicsmac is genuinely a rocket scientist so yeah, I reckon equations and diagrams are exactly what he’s looking for :D

lol Thank you Izzy, but I'm totally OK with mere subjective opinions on the topic as that is exactly what such a thing is going to be. I'm honestly curious as to people opinions on why they find it funny or entertaining.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Thank you Izzy, but I'm totally OK with mere subjective opinions on the topic as that is exactly what such a thing is going to be. I'm honestly curious as to people opinions on why they find it funny or entertaining.

Did it not remind you of your school days and all the awkward moments you had between 15-17 chasing girls?

I think people enjoy shows that do that and poke fun at it. 

We all had a mate like Jay, a mate like Will and a mate whose mum everyone fancied.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Did it not remind you of your school days and all the awkward moments you had between 15-17 chasing girls?

I think people enjoy shows that do that and poke fun at it. 

We all had a mate like Jay, a mate like Will and a mate whose mum everyone fancied.

Given that particular era of my life is one I'd much rather forget than remember (even in the course of taking the piss out of it) then I think we're getting somewhere as to why I don't really identify with it - I've never been one to really enjoy seeing humiliation, even in humour. Thanks for the insight.

Think I can definitely remember the last sentence there being true, though.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Given that particular era of my life is one I'd much rather forget than remember (even in the course of taking the piss out of it) then I think we're getting somewhere as to why I don't really identify with it - I've never been one to really enjoy seeing humiliation, even in humour. Thanks for the insight.

Think I can definitely remember the last sentence there being true, though.

How about the office scenario, thats one most of us can related to?

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

How about the office scenario, thats one most of us can related to?

It's rather funny, I've never actually worked in what one would call a classic British office-style environment. Not for more than a few months temping while at university, anyway.

The Office is class. One of the best comedies ever. Absolute disgrace it's being spoken about in the same breath as the Inbetweeners (and I do like the Inbetweeners, I just don't think it's on The Office level).

Never seen the US Office though. Seen clips but don't like it. I don't like when they try and adapt our stuff, albeit The US Office was a success.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The Office is class. One of the best comedies ever. Absolute disgrace it's being spoken about in the same breath as the Inbetweeners (and I do like the Inbetweeners, I just don't think it's on The Office level).

Never seen the US Office though. Seen clips but don't like it. I don't like when they try and adapt our stuff, albeit The US Office was a success.

Give the US Office a chance, its less cringe but its excellent in my view. I'd go as far as saying I cant decide whether I prefer the US or UK one.

25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Both brilliant for different reasons and in almost different eras though so I get it. However if The Office was never made I don’t think The Inbetweeners ever would have been. The Office paved the way for so many great comedies after it in my opinion. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

yes the UK ofice is up there with the best ever.

The US office is a different show.. and one of the best US comedies ever, the first season is a fail as they try to replicate the UK version. Once they accept they are a US sitcom and work with that, it becomes superb, the characters are outstanding. But, the cringe factor is also high even though nothing close to Brent etc. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Can someone explain the humour behind "cringe comedy" (Peep Show/The Office/The Inbetweeners) to me?

I just don't see how second-hand embarrassment is in any way funny.

Inbetweeners in particular is just incredibly relatable humour to majority of people's time during sixth form of at least around my age group. 

• Like 4

Yeah I really don't like the debates on the subjectivity of TV shows. I've mellowed in years. I have childhood memories of Supermarket Sweep on daytime TV. Was interested in the Rylan reboot because I think he's matured into a good TV personality, but when I watched I gave it one part. It's just not made for me, and I'm cool with that.

I literally only ever see criticism of Mrs Brown's Boys. I genuinely am not sure there's ever been anything good I've read on a forum or social media about it. And yet, and yet, it still does outrageously high ratings. It's kind of a microcosm of politics. You can cubby hole yourself away with your loud echo chambers saying how crap something is, but there's still the silent millions who watch it and enjoy.

It's not like I don't have opinions on TV etc, but I really wish people would prefix their opinions with "I think that" XX is crap, because look at the viewing figures, it's patently not for a sizable chunk of the UK.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Yeah I really don't like the debates on the subjectivity of TV shows. I've mellowed in years. I have childhood memories of Supermarket Sweep on daytime TV. Was interested in the Rylan reboot because I think he's matured into a good TV personality, but when I watched I gave it one part. It's just not made for me, and I'm cool with that.

I literally only ever see criticism of Mrs Brown's Boys. I genuinely am not sure there's ever been anything good I've read on a forum or social media about it. And yet, and yet, it still does outrageously high ratings. It's kind of a microcosm of politics. You can cubby hole yourself away with your loud echo chambers saying how crap something is, but there's still the silent millions who watch it and enjoy.

It's not like I don't have opinions on TV etc, but I really wish people would prefix their opinions with "I think that" XX is crap, because look at the viewing figures, it's patently not for a sizable chunk of the UK.

I see Ms Browns Boys as the lowest common denominator in comedy but as you say, its watched by millions and the comedians behind it have made millions and living their dream instead of doing something else mundane. Fair play to them.

It's a bit like a struggling wannabe rock star who has a low income job being offered a place in a boy band for fame and fortune for millions in exchange of 'selling out'.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Give the US Office a chance, its less cringe but its excellent in my view. I'd go as far as saying I cant decide whether I prefer the US or UK one.

I would go further and say the US version is better. 

As a huge fan of the uk office initially I was reluctant to watch the us version. However I did and it is class. Completely different to the uk version and needs to be treated as a completely stand alone show. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

As a huge fan of the uk office initially I was reluctant to watch the us version. However I did and it is class. Completely different to the uk version and needs to be treated as a completely stand alone show. 

THIS. It's almost impossible to compare the two, it's the same premise but that's just about where the similarities stop.

Americans don't do the dry/awkward/embarrassing humour as well, so the US Office is a bit more Slapstick.

Saying this as a big fan of both. 

3 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The third series of the Inbetweeners was absolutely rancid, as was the second film which was completely unnecessary.

will's dilemma and the camping trip were good in series 3.

the first film was slightly worse than the second imo. both were very average though

42 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

will's dilemma and the camping trip were good in series 3.

the first film was slightly worse than the second imo. both were very average though

I think the whole third series has aged appallingly, the first two still have a bit of charm about them, by the third the four leads felt like parodies of themselves, loads of supporting characters barely featured at all, and all the new folk that came in weren't remotely likeable

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agree with every word of this. 

• Like 1

Italian food is good and all, but I don't get it as de facto best food nation. Nearly all Balkan, western Mediterranean and Black Sea countries (I'm less familiar with Russian and Ukrainian food though to make a judgement) do much better food.

Greek and Georgian food in particular are the food of the gods and many times better Italian food.

French food on the other food is mediocre, underportioned and overpriced and by far the most overrated national food.

A good family/street food Greek, Georgian, Turkish or Balkan place will always beat the most fancy, high class French or Italian restaurant in terms of every aspect you can think of - quality and quantity of food, much cheaper food, much better service, nicer staff (less likely to feel they're looking down on you and genuinely seem more interested in the individual guests) and way better atmosphere.

The former countries understand how to do food properly - everyone eating as big groups of friends or families (often with 3 generations), order loads of dishes to try - bring huge portions as it's considered rude to finish your plate in those countries as it shows you consider the service not good enough and the food is always spot on.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1