Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

5 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This might hold weight if the government were 100% transparent with absolutely no spin, no embellishment. Total honesty. What's clear is that this is absolutely not the case, so they need to be held accountable as a result.

Basically why can't Labour be opportunist point scorers when those in power are taking to be opportunist point scorers? Smells a bit Orwellian when you start thinking only the government can, tbh.

Every single official body/party/department that is at risk of oversight is subject to this.

Bit in red is bang on.

As always, we should be sensible when we demand disclosure of any information is all. Demanding under the guise of free speech and "my right" is fine, but a democracy operates within a collective effort so should never be twisted to serve a minorities demands.

(if indeed it is a minority)

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

How is that a useful metric? The population density over here is 426 per km2.

In the US it’s more like 36 per km2. It’s pretty obvious transmission will spread differently in places with a higher population density.

Ok

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2020 at 08:06, turkish14 said:

1: Clap for heroes is great, but granted we won’t do so, next time our armed forces are at war.

Since we are in unpopular opinions...

Those who take up a career to save lives are infinitely more heroic than those who take up a career to end them. 

In other news I am getting fed up of all these initiatives, the minutes silence being the latest. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Very presumptive to think that you only take up a job ending lives in the armed forces. War is only a tiny part of the armed forces duty in the 21st century - they'll be going out to war torn countries and disaster zones giving aid and trying to pull people out of dangerous situations more than they ever will go to war - And it isn't your average soldier's decision as to whether they think it's worth going to war as it will save more lives than it ends. You're average person joins the armed forces because they want to help and protect vulnerable people not because they want to kill people - that's a politician's decision not a soldiers.

Perfectly valid to criticise politicians for sending young men to die when they don't need to. Extremely heartless on those who join the armed forces assuming they just want to kill people. 

Same with the police - because the odd policeman or woman is corrupt and abuses their power, people seem to dismiss the role their performing. But the overwhelming majority of people go into policing with the novelist of intentions because they want to help people and protect and save people and try to reduce things like knife crime.

I wouldn't say it's an unpopular opinion I'd say it's an utterly heartless opinion to infer that people in the armed forces take up a career to end people's lives.

I’d imagine the average soldier saves more lives than an ear nose and throat doctor or a gynaecologist.

48 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Very presumptive to think that you only take up a job ending lives in the armed forces. War is only a tiny part of the armed forces duty in the 21st century - they'll be going out to war torn countries and disaster zones giving aid and trying to pull people out of dangerous situations more than they ever will go to war - And it isn't your average soldier's decision as to whether they think it's worth going to war as it will save more lives than it ends. You're average person joins the armed forces because they want to help and protect vulnerable people not because they want to kill people - that's a politician's decision not a soldiers.

Perfectly valid to criticise politicians for sending young men to die when they don't need to. Extremely heartless on those who join the armed forces assuming they just want to kill people. 

Same with the police - because the odd policeman or woman is corrupt and abuses their power, people seem to dismiss the role their performing. But the overwhelming majority of people go into policing with the noblest of intentions because they want to help people and protect and save people and try to reduce things like knife crime.

I wouldn't say it's an unpopular opinion sadly, but I'd say it's an utterly heartless opinion to infer that people in the armed forces take up a career to end people's lives.

It was poorly worded I’ll give you that, I certainly don’t think that is the sole intention of those choosing to join. Basically my point was I don’t think they are as heroic as they are often portrayed. 

And yes I am incredibly heartless. 

12 hours ago, Royston. said:

Is that just your opinion and if so, why is it beyond you?

I have heard few people who have mentioned that they see Lynx Africa as the worst one too.   I prefer Fever or Recover,  the current one with ice and lemon is lot better too.   Of course I am aware that I do not speak for others but just wanted to rant as I saw some promotions celebrating Lynx Africa's anniversary today.    If others tell me that I am off my head and to shut up then that is the point of this thread  :) 

15 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

If we don't use this time to rethink how we live our lives - in terms of the environment, working lives (the necessity of travel or core hours for example), and societal fairness (e.g. care workers on the breadline) then we deserve everything we get. 

If we come straight out into business as usual, sod the planet, let's all spend 90 minutes a day queuing in traffic rather than seeing our families I think that's the sign environmental disaster won't be turned around. 

Less obsession on economic growth.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

If we don't use this time to rethink how we live our lives - in terms of the environment, working lives (the necessity of travel or core hours for example), and societal fairness (e.g. care workers on the breadline) then we deserve everything we get. 

If we come straight out into business as usual, sod the planet, let's all spend 90 minutes a day queuing in traffic rather than seeing our families I think that's the sign environmental disaster won't be turned around. 

Easy to say as the UK.

It's the large growing economies like China, India and Brazil who would need to make these changes as well though and that ain't easy when their economic growth is bringing millions out of poverty.

That's the problem. It's all pretty useless unless China in particular get on board and I'd give slim to none chance they wouldn't take the gaping opportunity to become the world's biggest economic power if it was left open by everyone else scaling back. And you can't really blame them either when it would improve the quality of lives of hundreds of millions of their citizens.

On the earlier topic, as the UK military is all volunteer I would posit that anyone who signs up for service at least accepts the possibility that at some point their actions - if under orders - will directly or indirectly result in the death of another human being. Of course, it may not happen and it often doesn't happen, but the possibility is always going to be there. How that sits morally depends of course on the beholder.

If the idea concerned an individual so much, they wouldn't consider signing up with that associated possibility in the first place.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Easy to say as the UK.

It's the large growing economies like China, India and Brazil who would need to make these changes as well though and that ain't easy when their economic growth is bringing millions out of poverty.

That's the problem. It's all pretty useless unless China in particular get on board and I'd give slim to none chance they wouldn't take the gaping opportunity to become the world's biggest economic power if it was left open by everyone else scaling back. And you can't really blame them either when it would improve the quality of lives of hundreds of millions of their citizens.

As much as that particular piece of realpolitik is no doubt true, where exactly does it leave the future? It doesn't sound like anywhere good.

Edited by leicsmac

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As much as that particular piece of realpolitik is no doubt true, where exactly does it leave the future? It doesn't sound like anywhere good.

And it IS an unpleasant truth in my opinion. Where does it leave us? Where it was always going to leave us, down the crapper and begging for science to save us.

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

And it IS an unpleasant truth in my opinion. Where does it leave us? Where it was always going to leave us, down the crapper and begging for science to save us.

Yep, a most unpleasant truth. Spot on.

Unfortunately, even as a scientist I know that science alone can't save us - it can supply the solution, but then actually executing that solution belongs in the hands of others. Is there confidence that they are non-parochial and forward-thinking enough to be up to the task?

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, a most unpleasant truth. Spot on.

Unfortunately, even as a scientist I know that science alone can't save us - it can supply the solution, but then actually executing that solution belongs in the hands of others. Is there confidence that they are non-parochial and forward-thinking enough to be up to the task?

Sigh, sad truths everywhere today....

Back to religion it is then....:(

:worship::worship::worship: