Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

21 hours ago, Sampson said:

But again - we weren't talking about whether government decisions to go to war were right or not, that should be irrelevant really. The original discussion was about whether we should praise members of our national forces alongside NHS staff during a pandemic putting themselves at risk to save others - of which a couple of posters suggested that we shouldn't because they volunteer knowing there might be the possibility they have to kill others (which is also true of the police, MI5, anti-terrorist units etc - and even to some extent the NHS too when it comes to having to decide whether to triage during a pandemic or not to resuscitate or pull the plug etc. on patients that have a small chance of surviving) and one who said soldiers get already more praise than they deserved.

Go back and read the original discussion. It was never about whether the government were right to send people to any individual specific war or not. It was about the individual members of the armed forces themselves and whether they should be praised or not for making sacrifices to keep us protected and safe the same way current NHS workers are during an infectious disease pandemic.

One of the main things with the armed forces is, when the firemen strike, the police need assistance in numbers, the NHS needs help from similarly trained professionals (or infrastructure, logistics, etc), they are obliged to assist. 

Nobody I know in the armed forces wants any extra recognition for doing their job during a time of war. Signing up knowing what you could be faced with deserves some respect in itself. 

I’m currently serving (have done for over a decade), made sacrifices etc. When I’ve been anywhere, most people say ‘but you didn’t actually see any action did you?’ in a very dismissive way, without having any real idea what I actually do. Would I say to a nurse, ‘Well you’re not on a Covid ward are you?’. I have a huge respect for anyone risking their safety doing their job. Whether directly or indirectly. 

One thing I have noticed is, some (some not all!) retail workers who are obviously putting themselves at risk seem to have an alarming disregard for the recommended distancing. I know it can’t always be done as they have a job to do, but some just seem to not be following it at all. I don’t know if that’s the mindset of, ‘I’m working so I don’t have to’ or it’s just a lack of common sense. However, someone who is coming into contact with a huge number of people, should really limit the number of people who they do come close to. I’m sure supermarkets, shops etc are a hive of transmission. But with the measures put in place in supermarkets (arrows, unused tills, hand sanitising on entry), do I really want a Tesco worker brushing past me and plenty of others when it could be avoided at the cost of a few seconds or a sidestep? 

@Sampson, most of that wasn’t aimed at you. Just carried on rather than making numerous posts. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

One of the main things with the armed forces is, when the firemen strike, the police need assistance in numbers, the NHS needs help from similarly trained professionals (or infrastructure, logistics, etc), they are obliged to assist. 

Nobody I know in the armed forces wants any extra recognition for doing their job during a time of war. Signing up knowing what you could be faced with deserves some respect in itself. 

I’m currently serving (have done for over a decade), made sacrifices etc. When I’ve been anywhere, most people say ‘but you didn’t actually see any action did you?’ in a very dismissive way, without having any real idea what I actually do. Would I say to a nurse, ‘Well you’re not on a Covid ward are you?’. I have a huge respect for anyone risking their safety doing their job. Whether directly or indirectly. 

One thing I have noticed is, some (some not all!) retail workers who are obviously putting themselves at risk seem to have an alarming disregard for the recommended distancing. I know it can’t always be done as they have a job to do, but some just seem to not be following it at all. I don’t know if that’s the mindset of, ‘I’m working so I don’t have to’ or it’s just a lack of common sense. However, someone who is coming into contact with a huge number of people, should really limit the number of people who they do come close to. I’m sure supermarkets, shops etc are a hive of transmission. But with the measures put in place in supermarkets (arrows, unused tills, hand sanitising on entry), do I really want a Tesco worker brushing past me and plenty of others when it could be avoided at the cost of a few seconds or a sidestep? 

@Sampson, most of that wasn’t aimed at you. Just carried on rather than making numerous posts. 

No worries mate. You do an incredible job I couldnt even begin to comprehend doing. As said, I don't even think people realise what sacrifices the armed forces make and the things they have to do and see given the vast majority never see combat action.

I live in Portsmouth, which is obviously the home of the navy, so I've known loads of members of the navy here over the years. As an example of some of the stuff you have to do, the son of an old neighbour and still good friend of mine had to go into some of the sunken boats during the migrant crisis of 2016 and bring out dead bodies while being in the navy. He still has nightmares and PTSD from that experience.

Edited by Sampson
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

No worries mate. You do an incredible job I couldnt even begin to comprehend doing. As said, I don't even think people realise what sacrifices the armed forces make and the things they have to do and see given the vast majority never see combat action.

I live in Portsmouth, which is obviously the home of the navy, so I've known loads of members of the navy here over the years. As an example of some of the stuff you have to do, the son of an old neighbour and still good friend of mine had to go into some of the sunken boats during the migrant crisis of 2016 and bring out dead bodies while being in the navy. He still has nightmares and PTSD from that experience.

Being honest mate, most people could do what I do, it isn’t anything special at all. 

I’m not infantry (or even Army) but you still have to be out there, often away from the bigger bases. There’s always a threat, especially when transiting from place to place, but I’d say the chances of being injured are less than being up and down the M1 every day. 

Anyway, credit to all the NHS staff. They’re the ones keeping us going in the here and now! 

On 28/04/2020 at 10:34, lildave3 said:

It was poorly worded I’ll give you that, I certainly don’t think that is the sole intention of those choosing to join. Basically my point was I don’t think they are as heroic as they are often portrayed. 

And yes I am incredibly heartless. 

MOD = Ministry of Defence

Their Quote "We work for a secure and prosperous United Kingdom with global reach and influence. We will protect our people, territories, values and interests at home and overseas, through strong armed forces and in partnership with allies, to ensure our security, support our national interests and safeguard our prosperity."

95% of what the Forces do go unnoticed & too outside eyes unappreciated be it humanitarian or safe guarding duties abroad to supporting civil authorities during national emergencies such as now, along with everything else inbetween.
Today there will be 1000s of personnel up & down the country packing equipment, driving trucks, manning testing stations etc as well as frontline hospital & field based medical staff, &, for most of these medical personnel this is no different to their day jobs as the majority will already be assigned to hospitals & carrying out surgeries & day to day care for the NHS anyway.
Then we have those that are based offshore helping to re-build communities & protect civilians from natural disasters or aggressive forces, to protecting shipping through the likes of the Suez canel & clearing minefields of 1000s of mines laid by someone elses conflict.

I'd suggest 99.999% join the forces for an exciting & adventuress career, to gain a trade, to have lasting friendships, travel the world, have a sense of belonging, job security & pension, to get away from a bad crowd / homelife, to test themselves, because their families/friends did, to defend the country & help those that need help, too log just a few reasons....leaving that last .001% to kneel by their beds at night & pray for war but those wouldn't last long.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 2

On 29/04/2020 at 12:03, StanSP said:

What have I just read? The left used to scorn the police and armed forces and have previously been reluctant to acknowledge the sacrifices made in World wars? Eh? 

Who do you guys speak to lol

Perhaps I should qualify that by saying that I mean the left toward the 'Momentum' end of the spectrum, not the traditional working class that Labour used to represent once upon a time.  Just my observation and that can be my unpopular opinion if you like. 

It grates with me that Corbyn was happy to lay a wreath for the Munich terrorists but refused to wear a poppy.on the first remembrance day after becoming leader.   What is a poppy if not a remembrance of military sacrifice?  He represents a significant portion of the left that I am talking about.  You can disagree if you want.  It doesn't matter.

George Orwell articulates the kind of thinking that I mean much better than I could:

England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during “God Save the King” than of stealing from a poor box.

On 29/04/2020 at 12:40, Toddybad said:

I'm not sure there's any group as a whole (rather than a few idiots within a group) that doesn't wish individuals within the forces their best wishes and agree that they deserve much better treatment in this country for what they do - the way we treat our veterans is scandalous.

There's a difference between questioning the national decision to fight some of the wars we have and opinions about individuals within the forces, which is where I think the waters get muddied in an some people's eyes.

OK, but the post that started all this was clearly talking about soldiers themselves not foreign policy.

Edited by murphy

17 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The saucepan banging by households for the Thursday annual NHS appreciation is quite irksome. As if some the households using them are competing against each other to make the loudest noise.

Just a round of applause is fine.

14 hours ago, Webbo said:

There's somebody in our street who plays an electric guitar.

I've been using my vuvuzela.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The saucepan banging by households for the Thursday annual NHS appreciation is quite irksome. As if some the households using them are competing against each other to make the loudest noise.

Just a round of applause is fine.

Thursday annual? I assume you meant weekly? lol 

• Haha 1

I'm clapping for the guy with the massive cock who's appeared in a lot of my whatsapp group chats in the form of memes over the past couple of months.

A true morale boosting hero in these dark times.

Edited by Nalis

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'm clapping for the guy with the massive cock who's appeared in a lot of my whatsapp group chats in the form of memes over the past couple of months.

A true morale boosting hero in these dark times.

Sad to say mate, he's dead. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

Sad to say mate, he's dead. 

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

When I heard a part of me died too. A memorial clap for him in well overdue.

Don't know where you heard I was dead but I'm not. Please stop spreading fake news, thanks.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Webbo said:

2 blokes in ours.One on the electric guitar,one on trumpet.

They ask the village FB group what song.

no word of a lie my neighbour suggested Prodigy “Smack my bitch up “ due to rising domestic violence.

He was outvoted by ELO Mr Blue Sky and tbh it was good.

21 hours ago, Webbo said:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Some of this going on in the supermarkets too, the staff never keep their distance like for some reason they think they are immune. 

Been wanting to mention this all week, but went Morrisons last week, I stayed in the car while my wife went in (the illness I have makes me more vulnerable so I avoid large places with people in). After half an hour she came out sobbing, there had been a queue to get in, but when she got in it was quite clearly extremely over crowded, 50 people per isle, no one way system, no staff keeping order, she said it was like a normal shop, people leaning over her, bumping into her, people sputtering everywhere. She said the music was blaring out which didn't help as you cant concentrate in a shop under current circumstances at the best of times. To top it off, she went to the till (again no real system) and after being served, the checkout girl spat her chewy out into her bare hand, threw it in the bin and then proceeded to serve the next customer (no hand cleansing involved). She practically ran out. I checked Morrisons out on twitter after and their tweets and replies section, every other tweet was someone going nuts about how overcrowded and how grim their stores were, all over the Country. There is no excuse for it, a shit supermarket clearly trying to cash in while the better ones do things properly.

Have to say, we regularly use Oadby sainsbos which had been superb, and occasionally South Wigston Tesco which has been pretty decent to be fair (and I expected it to be one of the worse ones). 

Really grated on me actually. Morrisons just facilitating a deadly illness for all intents and purposes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Some of this going on in the supermarkets too, the staff never keep their distance like for some reason they think they are immune. 

Been wanting to mention this all week, but went Morrisons last week, I stayed in the car while my wife went in (the illness I have makes me more vulnerable so I avoid large places with people in). After half an hour she came out sobbing, there had been a queue to get in, but when she got in it was quite clearly extremely over crowded, 50 people per isle, no one way system, no staff keeping order, she said it was like a normal shop, people leaning over her, bumping into her, people sputtering everywhere. She said the music was blaring out which didn't help as you cant concentrate in a shop under current circumstances at the best of times. To top it off, she went to the till (again no real system) and after being served, the checkout girl spat her chewy out into her bare hand, threw it in the bin and then proceeded to serve the next customer (no hand cleansing involved). She practically ran out. I checked Morrisons out on twitter after and their tweets and replies section, every other tweet was someone going nuts about how overcrowded and how grim their stores were, all over the Country. There is no excuse for it, a shit supermarket clearly trying to cash in while the better ones do things properly.

Have to say, we regularly use Oadby sainsbos which had been superb, and occasionally South Wigston Tesco which has been pretty decent to be fair (and I expected it to be one of the worse ones). 

Really grated on me actually. Morrisons just facilitating a deadly illness for all intents and purposes. 

The first time I went to my local Tesco during this so called lockdown,it really was like what I had seen from Italy.Long queue to get in(totally expected)but once in it felt like I had the whole store to myself.Quite a relaxing experience tbf.Been three times since and each time it’s definitely been busier.Less queuing to get in.A lot more in store.Lots of product pawer's and middle isle hoggers.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for the store workers.Really it should be down to the customers to give them the right of way wherever possible.Unfortunately the system can’t cope for everyone to get a home delivery.I would imagine it’s easily the the most likely place to catch anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Yeah when I said retail I did mean supermarkets really. I thought it might’ve just been me. 

Also, seems to be a staggering amount of arrogance from the security staff (most likely a power trip). 

Fair play to all those putting themselves at risk during this time but a lack of common sense in some areas does seem prevalent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Heathrow fox said:

The first time I went to my local Tesco during this so called lockdown,it really was like what I had seen from Italy.Long queue to get in(totally expected)but once in it felt like I had the whole store to myself.Quite a relaxing experience tbf.Been three times since and each time it’s definitely been busier.Less queuing to get in.A lot more in store.Lots of product pawer's and middle isle hoggers.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for the store workers.Really it should be down to the customers to give them the right of way wherever possible.Unfortunately the system can’t cope for everyone to get a home delivery.I would imagine it’s easily the the most likely place to catch anything.

Of course, and I’d want to get out of someone’s way for my own good anyway. 

Some make it difficult when they’re rushing down an isle pretty much straight into you, or trying to fill a fridge/shelf that you’re already looking at. 

This wasn’t meant to be a rant at all, but thinking back to the numerous times it’s happened, it just feels unnecessary. 

5 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Of course, and I’d want to get out of someone’s way for my own good anyway. 

Some make it difficult when they’re rushing down an isle pretty much straight into you, or trying to fill a fridge/shelf that you’re already looking at. 

This wasn’t meant to be a rant at all, but thinking back to the numerous times it’s happened, it just feels unnecessary. 

I get what you mean.It’s like a game of cat and mouse.