Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Nigel Pearson working for KP again

To be fair, the one season we had with Big Nige in the PL we played well in pretty much every single game, even when we couldn't get a win anywhere.   I am torn, part of me thinks it would be a backwards move and that it would be foolish but then I just look at that lovely face of his and want him to come back and hold me and make me feel small.  X

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, David Hankey said:

"Where's the evidence to the contrary"  -  the results, need I say more? Many who were here in 2016 are just a shadow of their former selves. Schmeichel, for instance, never injured for 3 games and now goes hiding when the going gets tough. Probably saving himself for the World Cup!! Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Okazaki, Mahrez the list is endless. All living on past glories knowing no-one expects a repetition and so have given up.

Okay, so at what point does a manager become responsible for his side's results if poor results are down to his players?

Equally, you could put the poor form we had at times under Pearson down to the players, which I suspect wouldn't suit your viewpoint. And if managers have limited accountability for poor results then by the same measure it must have been the players who secured the title.

As for your list of slackers - Simpson has been singled out for trying his best to play a role which he doesn't know how to play. Huth hasn't kicked a ball all season. Morgan was doing well until his return from injury, and we did just as well with him in the side as we did with anyone else. I'm not sure why you'd single Fuchs and Okazaki out either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I think I posted earlier to say that i respect him but i wouldnt want him back.  He is a good leader... works with hadworking players and gets rid of prima donnas.  But he wasnt able to tactically compete in the pl.  He took us up to beyond his area of competancy. I am glad he did.. but hes not the one to improve us now

How do you know this? He had one season in the top flight and achieved a very respectable finish. In doing so he assembled a side which won the Premier League a year later. The run of form which led to us winning the title actually began under his guidance. He was one of the three shortlisted nominees for Premier League Manager of the Season. There's every reason to believe that we could have continued to develop under him (which was the case in all of his 5.5 seasons in charge, beginning in the third tier) and perhaps done a better job of our recruitment since 2016 too. You can believe this and still believe that Ranieri's part was critical to the title win.

Personally I'd look at the list of alternatives long and hard before I considered Pearson, principally because he might not be as mentally primed for the top flight as he was a few years back and his tendency is to want to assess his options before rebuilding. I'm not sure we have the time for that, and it may be that there are some very attractive options available.

But there are advantages to turning back. He'd get a positive reaction from some key players who may be considering their futures, he wouldn't push footballing ideals which are beyond our current personnel and therefore would stand a better chance of building on what we've got than Puel does. We may even be able to reunite him with some or all of his old management team, the team which took us to the title, and in doing so I think we'd be able to expect better things of our future recruitment policy. Above all, if what we need is a guy with decent prior knowledge of the squad, a close affiliation with the club and a tendency not to put up with slackers, then he'd tick boxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/05/2018 at 17:54, Kitchandro said:

Sorry but under Pearson we were actually bottom, more often than not playing as bad as this. He’s as guilty as anyone for making us too negative.

Anyone who would want him back at this level is crazy.

Instead let’s do some actual research into talented coaches around the world and find one who’s a good fit.

I don't remember us ever being this bad. Even in the horror run under him I don't remember us being this pathetic, or as pathetic as we were under the end under Ranieri.

As for bringing him back. I'm unsure. I think things have changed a bit and there's no guarantee he'd be a success straight off - and things have changed since he was here.

I don't think he could deliver what the owners want in the time they'd want it.

I am however vary wary that we're on a downwards trajectory as a club, and coming 9th this year is a huge papering over the cracks job. We're nearer to Huddersfield than we are to Burnley points wise. I wouldn't be surprised if we were fighting relegation next season, and should that be the case, then he may prove to be the answer.

A number of performances this season, and last, have been an absolute sickening disgrace to the club. I remember some rubbish under Pearson, but I don't remember it being that bad, other than one particular afternoon at Oakwell.

It's easy to gloss over the crap with him - there was a fair bit of it, but ultimately Pearson had a blueprint that I think will yield continuous improvement, and the results proved exactly that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, inckley fox said:

How do you know this? He had one season in the top flight and achieved a very respectable finish. In doing so he assembled a side which won the Premier League a year later. The run of form which led to us winning the title actually began under his guidance. He was one of the three shortlisted nominees for Premier League Manager of the Season. There's every reason to believe that we could have continued to develop under him (which was the case in all of his 5.5 seasons in charge, beginning in the third tier) and perhaps done a better job of our recruitment since 2016 too. You can believe this and still believe that Ranieri's part was critical to the title win.

Personally I'd look at the list of alternatives long and hard before I considered Pearson, principally because he might not be as mentally primed for the top flight as he was a few years back and his tendency is to want to assess his options before rebuilding. I'm not sure we have the time for that, and it may be that there are some very attractive options available.

But there are advantages to turning back. He'd get a positive reaction from some key players who may be considering their futures, he wouldn't push footballing ideals which are beyond our current personnel and therefore would stand a better chance of building on what we've got than Puel does. We may even be able to reunite him with some or all of his old management team, the team which took us to the title, and in doing so I think we'd be able to expect better things of our future recruitment policy. Above all, if what we need is a guy with decent prior knowledge of the squad, a close affiliation with the club and a tendency not to put up with slackers, then he'd tick boxes.

I dont know it...its a balance.... a judgement.  And as others have posted ...people can improve.  I accept there are pros and cons.  But thats where i come down and why.

My reason for posting was like izzys point... many np supporters think everyone who wouldnt roll out the red carpet for nigel is a hater.  Not so.... i recognise what he did for us... yet on balance i think we should look elsewhere despite the pros u have set out. The owners are not blind to the np option and they will have this same judgement to make

Edited by foxinsocks

What I like about Pearson was you always felt like the team was improving and he was building a team.

thats quite rare with managers, now I just feel like they sign any old tom dick and arry and see how they get on.

He also has the respect of the players and many fans 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I agree with this.

People writing Pearson off at this level are being ridiculous in my opinion.

He's had one shot at this league ever and we came 14th. Yes he made errors, but how we ended that season under him was something only a team with a special character instilled into them could achieve - and that was something he was fantastic at doing. His judge of character was superb. Even his bad signings, you can't say were bad characters.

This was our first year up. The first year is about survival. You build from there.

Upon achieving survival, Fuchs, Okazaki and Huth were signed before July, with Kante heavily rumoured to be joining the club. These are clear upgrades on what he had at his disposal.

Sean Dyche took Burnley down in his first season at this level. OK, he didn't quite have our resources, but Dyche is of a similar mould. He builds his sides to fit into a well drilled unit and has a clear emphasis on players with the right character.

But Pearson always had us a step ahead of Burnley.

Burnley were worthy challengers and I respected them, but we always got the better of them in the end.

Sean Dyche is now taking Burnley to Europe.

And you lot are trying to tell me that Pearson couldn't have had us above them?

I'm firmly of the opinion that had Pearson never been sacked and the title winning season had never happened then he'd still be Leicester manager now, maybe even England manager. We would never have won the league but we would have improved season on season and we would have finished above Burnley this season, he would have turned us into the best of the rest so to speak but I think that is as far as he would've been capable to take us. We would probably have been considering a change to crack the top 6 this summer anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

This is what always gets me, some people on here seem determined to give him no credit at all for what were two wildly successful stints at LCFC. The way some of these loons go on, you'd think he had a Peter Taylor or Ian Holloway run with us. Utterly bizarre. As far as I'm concerned, like him or not as a person, if you don't rate Pearson as a manager then you're not a real fan of Leicester City.

Some also want to give him the most credit for the title win and are almost saying Ranieri was taking over a side that was destined to win it anyway.

He was successful but he wasn't perfect. As ever, he's somewhere in the middle of the two sides of the argument.

• Like 1

Tells you a lot when Pearson's players are still here after all this time.

Hamer

Simpson

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Albrighton

James

Okazaki

Mahrez

Vardy

£70 million in the kitty from the sale of Kante and Drinky!

Edited by Kinowe Soorie
  • Like 2

We are in such a state at the moment, Pearson is not only great for these kinds of situtations but he is also the guy that brought many of our current players here. Bring him back, god knows where we'd finish next season but no chance of relegation

Puel has to go, he is clueless and I really hope our owners don't trust him with their money. Who else is available? And of those, who would come here? Just bring back Nige, he deserves another crack in this league

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't remember us ever being this bad. Even in the horror run under him I don't remember us being this pathetic, or as pathetic as we were under the end under Ranieri.

Idk I think there's a bit of revisionism going on. People remember we were never out of games but it doesn't mean we weren't bad Were we this bad? Probably not quite but we were pretty terrible. Maybe comparing the squads it's fair to say this is worse at the moment.

But we were terrible from my mind

Palace away

Newcastle away

Swansea away

Southampton home

Sunderland home (thankfully both teams were awful)

Villa away in League and Cup

Stoke home

Hull home

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Idk I think there's a bit of revisionism going on. People remember we were never out of games but it doesn't mean we weren't bad Were we this bad? Probably not quite but we were pretty terrible. Maybe comparing the squads it's fair to say this is worse at the moment.

But we were terrible from my mind

Palace away

Newcastle away

Swansea away

Southampton home

Sunderland home (thankfully both teams were awful)

Villa away in League and Cup

Stoke home

Hull home

We lost 7 games by a 2 goal margin, every other game we lost by a 1 goal margin.. we never lost by 3 goals or more in that season. I think we was quite unlucky in a lot of games as well with decisions or wonder goals, basically from what I can remember we was playing some good stuff but coming away unlucky... nothing like now playing like a sunday league team and getting hammered every week, creating nothing, nada, nowt 

Another perfect storm is coming for Pearson, Shakey and Walsh’s return.

First the owners needed to test Nigel and find out whether they can trust him again by giving him the Leuven job. 

In the official statement for Shakespeare’s sacking the owners said he is welcome back at the club as an employee. Shakespeare will likely leave Everton when Big Sam gets the boot at the end of the season. 

Walsh is being replaced as DoF at Everton and will be available in the summer. 

They’re coming home! :pearson:

• Like 1