Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

West Brom Post Match

6 hours ago, Bob666 said:

Usual crap performance against WBA - no wonder they've never lost at the KP.  First half was like playing with 10 men with Iheanacho (usually the same with Andy K) & Iborra playing at a snail's pace with sideways passing (again see AK)- summed up by Danny S having the best chance of the half (first time his shot's been on target?). Second half mildly better & more entertaining until Kasper decided to help his Dad out with an early master class on how not to gamble on free kicks (he's been a crap gambler since Burnley (home): 3 seasons ago) & how many people to have in a wall, etc.  Chadli had done nothing up to that point.  Reverse the situation& Mahrez would have hit the wall.  At least RM made up for his earlier glaring miss with his tidy finish.  I then expected a barnstorming finish but did we have another shot on target? Did Fuchs pass to anyone in a blue shirt.  Thank F, I didn't travel 300 miles+ to watch that shower.

Shakey sounds like a nice bloke but can't seem to motivate the players to pass accurately to each other.  All this crap about so&so is on fire in training & practising new systems etc :nigel:

Where does Appleton fit into all of this & poor tactics? Since his arrival, we appear to be playing more like a League 1 team.  Did he suggest AK substitution on 93 mins to hang on for the draw?  I live in hope of avoiding relegation but currently we're the worst team in the PL & have been lucky to scrape draws at HTFC & BFC. :(  Oh well - there's always League Cup to look forward to :scarf:

Appleton doesn’t fit in here, he is is still league 1. As for CS, wish someone at a press conference would challenge him on his tatics ie sticking doggedly to 442. 

Without reading the previous 13 pages

a) king came on because we were pretty well playing 3-2-5 and Iborra was shot in the two. It was the only time I saw shakey particularly animated as he ran to the bench to tell him to get stripped quickly 

b) the formation change was the right thing to do but the game management once we got level was appalling again and we were fortunate that they weren’t good enough to nick a winner given the way we retained the 3 up top after levelling. A perfect illustration of how you change to three at the back to give you extra in  midfiled but lose any advantage by then having riyad behind the front two. Physically he cannot exist there against teams like West Brom. The change to 3 at the back should have been way earlier - didn’t need a back four against them. 

C) I always believed these players would be best in a 3-5-2 but if shakey is in charge it may be best to stay 4-4-1-1 because I don’t think he has the nouse to manage it. Shame - mahrez with a free role up top with the three behind would be a good set up at home. Away it may be best to stay 4-4-1-1 because I can’t see how riyad fits into the formation and I can’t see the manager dropping him again. 

I've had enough and not bothering for a bit tbh. Last night was the first time ever I very nearly switched channels on the tele.

Our play is turgid, our signings are either a joke, or Shakey is making them a joke?

The whole club stinks of complacency and I'm sick of it for the moment. I have better things to do than to watch that shite.

Messing up over Silva. Signing Iborra (wtf!), etc etc.

It's all wrong at the moment. Until it changes, I'm out.

What’s gone wrong? Negative football, too slow, no urgency, no quality in the middle of the park.

Did anyone see in the 1st half when Kasper wanted to take a quick goal kick, every city player had their backs turned away?

WBA were no better than us, but we need to beat these teams at KP to stand a chance of staying up.

Where’s the urgency gone? No passion or fight? Need a leader in the centre of midfield. 

Iheanacho looks unfit, I always raised an eyebrow when we signed him? Looks a poor signing?

Kaspers confidence seems low, Fuchs had a shocker last night? 

Is Shakey the right man for us....No.....he’s an assistant manager, Appleton seems out of his depth, never managed in the top league, always been sacked, so why is he at City? 

Hate to say it, Allardyce heading to Leicester? Shakey back to assistant manager? Former England manager and his staff?

end of rant, very fed up after last nights game

34 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've had enough and not bothering for a bit tbh. Last night was the first time ever I very nearly switched channels on the tele.

Our play is turgid, our signings are either a joke, or Shakey is making them a joke?

The whole club stinks of complacency and I'm sick of it for the moment. I have better things to do than to watch that shite.

Messing up over Silva. Signing Iborra (wtf!), etc etc.

It's all wrong at the moment. Until it changes, I'm out.

lol

That’s just your emotions talking Col. Just face it, you’re addicted like the rest of us. Come 3.00 Saturday you’ll be watching again - I guarantee it :P

It was our speed of moving the ball about that got me. The amount of times we attacked, but by the time we'd crossed the half way line they had 10 men in their own half. It was just ponderous. Now Maguire is clearly a talented footballer but him bringing it out of defence just seems to slow us down and give the opposition time to get their shape. We're then left facing a wall of midfielders and defenders with no craft to unlock an opening. Stick a Huth in there and that ball is going long over their midfielders heads 9 times out of 10!

It's why Shinji works so well with Vardy because we turn around possession quicker and higher up the pitch. Kelechi just doesn't appear to have that in his locker.

Most worrying thing is they must have been told to play like that!

Utter dross. Really saddens me to see how dysfunctional and DULL this team has become.

The way we set up first half, with two pedestrian midfielders refusing to drive into the empty spaces in the middle of the West Brom half - like there were mines planted there or something - particularly did my head in. In our version of 442 we operate on the circumference, not the centre, and are so easy to defend against.

We desperately need to show energy, drive and the ability to commit and turn our opponents. An ability to actually control the football would help too.

Only Chilwell came out of last night with any credit.

After Bournemouth and that garbage, Shakespeare has lost the fans' support. He deserved the job for keeping us up last season but he is fast proving that he is not qualified to manage long-term at this level. Sad but true.

Cant really blame Kelechi. Its the tactics that isolate him. He probably thinks why run round like an idiot ? He really isnt that type of player.

Before the game i read comments on here such as "maybe he will link midfield with vardy" etc. What nonsense... hes a poacher. Thats all. Yet another player who has joined but we dont play to his strengths. The whole style of play is long balls to vardy down the channels. Did you see Maguire .. his first ball after a few seconds? Hoofed up to vardy.

Kelechi is another Slimani player in the sense we have a player but dont play to his strengths. If this is the case, what makes any of you think that Silva is the answer? Would we utilize him any different? I doubt it. Do we trust Shakes to get a system that suits all out best players? Absolutely not.

I couldn't watch the game last night, it appears I was one of the lucky ones :(

Just read this on BBC site:

" Kelechi Iheanacho failed to touch the ball inside West Brom's penalty area before he was substituted after 74 minutes".....what the fcuk have we bought? seems we were duped on this particular transfer. I hope them allowing us to get at least a point off of them in each of our games was part of the deal.

I for one and i’d imagine all of us, are saddened to see the contrast in how this group of players, who won the Premier League title have gone from champions to a team that looks like they’d struggle in the Championship! 

I’m all for giving managers a fair crack at the whip, but i can only blame Shakespeare’s obvious lack of tactical knowledge for it! I know it hasn't helped losing two key players but **** sake it pisses me right off 

Hate to say it but Shakey’s gotta go imo and soon! 

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

I coulkdn't watch the game last night, it appears I was one of the lucky ones :(

" Kelechi Iheanacho failed to touch the ball inside West Brom's penalty area before he was substituted after 74 minutes".....what the fcuk have we bought? seems we were duped on this particular transfer. I hope them allowing us to get at least a point off of them in each of our games was part of the deal.

Man City obviously knew he’d have no chance in that team! The only player that would get in that team at the mo is Leo Messi, they're that good  

not the best of games but it was an improvement nonetheless (and that's not saying much really)

maguire was very good, kasper and kelechi out of the picture, the midfield didn't try to be creative enough, marc was good, vardy was isolated pretty much all game and slim and ben where a breath of fresh air off the bench (i don't get the king sub at all, was shakey trying to waste time?

mahrez was in and out of the game, he put a great defensive shift (that went unnoticed by most people here), should've taken the first chance better. but made up for it with the goal.

1 minute ago, the fox said:

not the best of games but it was an improvement nonetheless (and that's not saying much really)

maguire was very good, kasper and kelechi out of the picture, the midfield didn't try to be creative enough, marc was good, vardy was isolated pretty much all game and slim and ben where a breath of fresh air off the bench (i don't get the king sub at all, was shakey trying to waste time?

mahrez was in and out of the game, he put a great defensive shift (that went unnoticed by most people here), should've taken the first chance better. but made up for it with the goal.

Albrighton was as poor as he has been all season. The guy has lost all spark and struggles to cross the ball. Unfortunately we don't really have anyone like him who can play as a winger and defend decently also. Shame really. Our best player yesterday was Simpson. Everyone else was mediocre at best 

Ok let's get the positives out of the way first (it won't take long)

We didn't lose and came from behind to get a point

Chillwell made a real difference when he came on

Our goal was well made and well taken

That's it. One of the very worst games I have ever seen at this level with both sides to blame. One side who doesn't know how to play attacking football against one that showed absolutely no intention of really trying to win the game. Both managers should be ashamed.

As for us we are clueless and relegation looks pretty nailed on unless we start to play with more tempo.

We don't press, we pass the ball at such a slow pace my 87 year old mother could probably play, we have absolutely zero creativity in midfield with the exception of Mahrez who I actually thought didn't do too badly last night.

We are so deep in our own half that our so called attacking players are having to get the ball in our own half or perhaps just inside the opponent's half. Mahrez needs the ball quicker and to be 20 yards further up the pitch. Even vardy had to drop almost into our own half to get the ball.

There is also no getting away from the fact that the last three transfer windows have been an utter disaster. Expensive signings that have either gone on loan, can't even get in the matchday squad or seem to be considered bit part players at best and of course the Silva fiasco.

We used to have an identity on the pitch, we would know what our way of playing was now I don't see one. I don't see any method except dull boring attritional football played mainly in our own half. Worse I can't see any improvement around the corner. The manager and coaching staff aren't up to it. That is obvious now and changes need to be made. Who that would be I don't know but stay as we are and we are going down.

Meltdown as expected, but let's put it another way, we got a point despite only playing with ten men for 75 minutes... Admittedly the ten men was because we chose to make a ridiculous record signing who patently does not match our style but even so credit where it's due to the other ten...

I suspect we have to just accept we've wasted multi-millions, make sure he never plays again, and then I think we won't go down.

Sorry but the Premier League ain't a charity. Shinji and Slimani can't be kept out for this.

11 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

I coulkdn't watch the game last night, it appears I was one of the lucky ones :(

To be honest he was terrible. He made one decent run in the whole match. Didn't look like he had ever trained with the team, simply didn't know where he should be playing. He's also a lot slower than I expected. God knows why Man City thought they needed a buy back clause. Can't see how he's going to fit in to how we play at all.

1 minute ago, eastendfox said:

Meltdown as expected, but let's put it another way, we got a point despite only playing with ten men for 75 minutes... Admittedly the ten men was because we chose to make a ridiculous record signing who patently does not match our style but even so credit where it's due to the other ten...

I suspect we have to just accept we've wasted multi-millions, make sure he never plays again, and then I think we won't go down.

Sorry but the Premier League ain't a charity. Shinji and Slimani can't be kept out for this.

Our problems go far far deeper than one player.

Archived