Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

West Brom Post Match

5 minutes ago, reynard said:

To be honest he was terrible. He made one decent run in the whole match. Didn't look like he had ever trained with the team, simply didn't know where he should be playing. He's also a lot slower than I expected. God knows why Man City thought they needed a buy back clause. Can't see how he's going to fit in to how we play at all.

I'm thinking that we need the team Head Shrink back...what a poor move it was to dump him there are a few that may benefit from having a skilled listener

8 hours ago, Bob666 said:

Usual crap performance against WBA - no wonder they've never lost at the KP.  First half was like playing with 10 men with Iheanacho (usually the same with Andy K) & Iborra playing at a snail's pace with sideways passing (again see AK)- summed up by Danny S having the best chance of the half (first time his shot's been on target?). Second half mildly better & more entertaining until Kasper decided to help his Dad out with an early master class on how not to gamble on free kicks (he's been a crap gambler since Burnley (home): 3 seasons ago) & how many people to have in a wall, etc.  Chadli had done nothing up to that point.  Reverse the situation& Mahrez would have hit the wall.  At least RM made up for his earlier glaring miss with his tidy finish.  I then expected a barnstorming finish but did we have another shot on target? Did Fuchs pass to anyone in a blue shirt.  Thank F, I didn't travel 300 miles+ to watch that shower.

Shakey sounds like a nice bloke but can't seem to motivate the players to pass accurately to each other.  All this crap about so&so is on fire in training & practising new systems etc :nigel:

Where does Appleton fit into all of this & poor tactics? Since his arrival, we appear to be playing more like a League 1 team.  Did he suggest AK substitution on 93 mins to hang on for the draw?  I live in hope of avoiding relegation but currently we're the worst team in the PL & have been lucky to scrape draws at HTFC & BFC. :(  Oh well - there's always League Cup to look forward to :scarf:

I have been told the coaching this season is an absolute joke.

When Ranieri has his coaches along with Shakey ‘it was top notch’. 

Now there is no intensity and our League One coach is ‘out of his depth’

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Time for a change in style IMO.

Yes the 4-4-2 high pressing/counter attack has worked for us but since we lost Kante we've been utterly horrid.

It doesn't matter about the style or formation. The players have no desire or confidence. I don't think any change of style will alter that.

Shakey and Appleton have clearly confused everyone to the point they are not sure what they are suppose to do with the ball, apart from off load it.

I could cry!

Not even going to read the thread, know it'll be full of negativity, and rightly so.

There was a real positive last night from Mahrez, however - he consistently sprinted back to help out Simmo and that really impressed me, need to see more of it from him.

Credit to West Brom, they came with a game plan and executed it.  We weren't good enough to overcome it which bodes very poorly for the future.

West Brom are a counterattacking team and City looked so concerned about that they were very cautious in any attack, resulting in lots of sideways passing, slow play and very, very few chances,  A better and more confident team would have just gone for the throat and watched the opposition's discipline crack.

We didn't appear to be comfortable when needing to play in a manner different to our own counterattacking style but that's got to happen if we are to avoid the drop.

5 hours ago, roblcfc84 said:

The issue last night was as clear as day. The midfield lacked the ability to drive the play forward which in turn creates space for the forwards. What we lack is someone in that midfield who can pick the ball up and run at the defence. It was one of Kante biggest strengths. He could make up 10 yards quickly and create space for others. For me VI and WN are defensive CM and we really need a 3 and drop Gray in there. At times there was acres of space in midfield but it was all too slow. 

This.

Not sure Gray is the one but that

is exactly what we are missing.

Also pressing from the front and winning the ball back higher up the pitch than when defending the edge of our area.

Shakespeare is a total dead duck.

He’s said all week we need to press and win the ball back. We simply did not do that;

proving he has no clout or influence over the players whatsoever.

Top of the list Craig; play the game from the start with an intent to win the game by trying to score first.

With that in mind bin 4-4-2.

I suspect you now remain the only one who has watched us play this season who thinks it can work.

How defensive as a coach are you when playing at home in the second half from their corners,you leave not one of our players up? 

Vardy was waved back to our penalty area to assist with defending when we were behind!

Totally negative, clueless management of a team who he has said himself ‘are better on the front foot’.

Laughable.

t

15 minutes ago, reynard said:

To be honest he was terrible. He made one decent run in the whole match. Didn't look like he had ever trained with the team, simply didn't know where he should be playing. He's also a lot slower than I expected. God knows why Man City thought they needed a buy back clause. Can't see how he's going to fit in to how we play at all.

there was one point in the game (I was watching on BEIN sport) when he f%$ked up or someone f@#ked up passing to him or something and the camera took a close up of his face

he was mumbling away to himself. Any idea what he was say'n ........

10 hours ago, Max Wall said:

That's the most sensible view I've read. Mahrez should have scored, the freekick was a decent strike but Kasper's positioning was again suspect and we fought back well when we could have sunk without trace. Not a great performance but really should have been 3 points.

8 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

You can't and won't put it on the best attacking player player on the pitch. You can't begrudge a player for not netting 100% of the goal opportunities, even more so when they were two of them. It's absurd.

What the hell are you on about. I'm not putting anything on Riyad. He should have scored that opportunity, pure and simple. Where do I say it's all Riyads fault? If anything, I'm pointing the finger at Kasper for woeful positioning again. I suggest you read my post again.

20 minutes ago, eastendfox said:

Meltdown as expected, but let's put it another way, we got a point despite only playing with ten men for 75 minutes... Admittedly the ten men was because we chose to make a ridiculous record signing who patently does not match our style but even so credit where it's due to the other ten...

I suspect we have to just accept we've wasted multi-millions, make sure he never plays again, and then I think we won't go down.

Sorry but the Premier League ain't a charity. Shinji and Slimani can't be kept out for this.

Yeh cos they've been much better.

Not the time to be picking on individuals. Everyone is playing poorly (the odd player having the odd decent game maybe).

Part of that is down to the general lack of motivation and team spirit, and part of it is down to horrendous tactics that do not suit any of our players.

The manager has to go but the players look totally disinterested as well. That's the collective group, and they should also be ashamed.

Nobody is coming out of this with any credit. It's like February all over again. Nothing has changed.

I tried to tell people that Shakespeare wasn't doing anything different to Ranieri and the players were just temporarily  motivated by the press backlash after the sacking. Within weeks we started to regress again and finished the season looking extremely poor.

But no, Shakespeare was a magician to everyone else who clearly had what it took to be a manager. Because he was popular. Like Pearson.

Time for people to wake up. 

6 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

What the hell are you on about. I'm not putting anything on Riyad. He should have scored that opportunity, pure and simple. Where do I say it's all Riyads fault? If anything, I'm pointing the finger at Kasper for woeful positioning again. I suggest you read my post again.

Huh oh. Quoted the wrong person. My bad.

Mahrez's miss was the miss of the season so far. His body shape was far too open and his head was up..equals skying it.

It smacks of a player and a team, devoid of confidence. In the title winning season, Mahrez would have just put it away...without a second thought or glance.

This team I think, actually SO want to impress that they are putting themselves under too much pressure. I don't believe it's about apathy...actually it's the opposite. They are champing at the bit to put their form right. 

They need to be told to cool down, to play their natural game and to not worry so much. 

The problem Is, the more I see Shakey managing them, the more I think he's not the right man to do this.

I'd seriously consider bringing back Pearson. He's tell them to stop fookin worrying about what everyone else thought and just get on with it. If HE could keep his calm a bit more now, I think he'd sort us out.

I think we just need a complete freshen up in the back room..... there’s clearly far too many confortable players there... we were so laboured last night it was untrue.... it was a terrible advert for the premier league...

The worrying thing is one of these days a better side will dismantle us, and by then it may be too late.... decisions need to be made because we will not improve under Shakey... frankly the job is too big for him, he should never have been given it. We’re desperate for a proper manager, someone to come in and Ben a father figure, that lot lack leadership and guidance, we’re flirting with danger and if we’re not careful we will succumb to it.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Mahrez's miss was the miss of the season so far. His body shape was far too open and his head was up..equals skying it.

It smacks of a player and a team, devoid of confidence. In the title winning season, Mahrez would have just put it away...without a second thought or glance.

This team I think, actually SO want to impress that they are putting themselves under too much pressure. I don't believe it's about apathy...actually it's the opposite. They are champing at the bit to put their form right. 

They need to be told to cool down, to play their natural game and to not worry so much. 

The problem Is, the more I see Shakey managing them, the more I think he's not the right man to do this.

I'd seriously consider bringing back Pearson. He's tell them to stop fookin worrying about what everyone else thought and just get on with it. If HE could keep his calm a bit more now, I think he'd sort us out.

Top post.

Don't know if bringing back Pearson is a good idea though. A new fresh start is needed. No reason to cling to the past.

Shaky was in an unenviable position.  After his initial spell when the club pulled clear of trouble, he was really obliged to apply to be manager.  Otherwise he seems to have no ambition and would risk being forced out when a new manager arrived with his own coaches.   Essentially I think he is a nice guy and more of a coach than a manager.  He lacks the high profile necessary for top class players to be attracted to the club.  Rudkin is more to blame for transfers than Shaky.  I think Shaky is safe until Christmas but the owners may well look for a new manager at that point unless the team are in mid-table by then.  

This was a terrible game,full of unforced errors and ,with the exception of the goals, largely devoid of quality.

Pulis came to park the bus ,hoped to score on the break and nearly got away with the points. We were lacking in inspiration or inventiveness to break down a solid defence. Mahrez’ late goal briefly sparked some momentum but the reality was that it avoided the ignominy of a third successive home defeat. The team lacked confidence and ,unless there is an early turn around, there are few reasons for optimism after that display.

12 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

Sorry guys, it's all my fault - I predicted the correct score again at 1-1, (like I did against Chelsea).  Am I too pessimistic, or just a realist? :P

Bathe in the glory of my misery some more why don'tcha?!

A criticism of Shakey has been his lack of tactical nous. The first half last night was woeful. It was clear at half time that changes were needed yet Shakey waited until he had to respond with fifteen minutes to go and WBA one up. 

The change to 3 at the back lead to an improvement but it was too little too late. We do need to look at other options to 4-4-2 , either to start or during a match. My worry is that Shakey seems unable to respond quickly during a game where tactical adjustments are needed.

a good knockdown by Slimani and a great goal by Mahrez but another frustrating game where West Brom came with a game plan which worked for them. Kalechi again failed to impress while Iborra who did well in patches but we need a lot more from him. while Kasper made a slight error for there goal whether he would have saved it if he hadn't moved, who knows! Maguire had a decent game and clearly likes to bring the ball out of defence 

Archived