Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

West Brom Post Match

Schmeichel has not given us much this season. Definitely has played some below-average keeper on free kicks, it is becoming a persistent problem. 

Slimani needs to play more. Everyone plays a deep line and scheme to take Vardy out of the game, and it has become almost impossible for us to score on the counter. It makes no sense to play two Vardy-types up top, we need a target man, as while our attack appears to have little purpose, and our players seemingly lack understanding of spacing and how to move defenders and create favorable match-ups in dangerous parts of the field, yet one thing we CAN do is get deep on the wings whip in crosses. I think we will start with a 3-5-2 next week, and we need Slimani in. The question is, who do we pair him with?

I think it is time to consider a non-Vardy line-up, and take a look at what Slim and Nacho look like together as forwards. We have tried Musa with Vardy, Slim with Vardy, Iheanacho with Vardy, but nobody but Shinji can play with him. Let's try some non-Vardy combinations up top for at least part of some upcoming games. The fact of the matter is Vardy has managed to snag some penalty goals, and has done some damage against disorganized defensive sides, but organized teams that play a deep line render him ordinary. His hustle is great, but effort without goal-scoring isn't enough, especially if playing him means we must sit Nacho and/or Slim.

Really liked the possession today. I understand many people disagree, and I agree it lacked intent at times, but for the first time in ages, I saw players moving without the ball and providing a target for the man on the ball. We will manage better build-up and possession against better pressing teams if we continue to do that. Yes, West Brom doesn't covet possession, but we actually played like a team trying to build possession and create quality opportunities, and we actually managed several, but Mahrez... ugh.

Mahrez is a conundrum of sorts -- he is easily dispossessed, takes far too many chances with the ball, and then he shows up and makes a lovely play to create a scoring opportunity. I think many pro-Mahrez folks are weighting his occasional good play too heavily. The goal he scored today was not difficult -- though he had a lovely first touch on it -- and I suspect Gray would've been the better choice today, at least until Slimani came on. 

I think we really needed Gray on the field today. He is the only player we have who is capable of taking on quality defenders when he has the ball at his feet. He is able to slice into the heart of the defense at times, and if he had Iheanacho and Slim as targets, I think we could start scoring some.

fed up of this pedestrian football. Severe lack of urgency when going forwards. everyone seems keen to pass crab like from side to side.

devoid of ideas and most the midfield playing like strangers. maguire is probably our best passer, which says it all.

always said give shaky 10 games but losinh patience and can't see us winning either of the next 2.

Very disheartening week after week.

Just now, Matt said:

They were playing without a keeper pretty much!!!!

We showed no intent in attacking, or even threat to trouble him.

To be fair wba did what they always do, defend well. We didn't test Myhill with any rangey shots, but that was because wba crowded out the midfield.

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

from half time til their goal was quite possibly the most bizarre period of football ive ever witnessed. the ten minutes of their keeper doing whatever he was doing. man thought i was high. 

Brain injury. Kinda befuddles you. Makes you feel like time has been compressed. He thought he was on ecstasy.

37 minutes ago, Beechey said:

It was more of a 343, no? Fuchs, Morgan and Maguire at the back with Albrighton and Chilwell as WBs, Nididi and Iborra in midfield, with Slimani, Vardy and Mahrez at the top.

Mahrez continued playing as a wing though, our WBs left him the space he likes, and went behind him down the wing at times. IDK if we reclassify him as a forward when he doesn't change his positioning or tactics.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

They were playing without a keeper pretty much!!!!

We showed no intent in attacking, or even threat to trouble him.

IDK how we didn't try more shots form outside the box, make him move for saves and have Slimani and Vardy making runs into the channels trying to pick off deflections. Should've tried that at least 4-5 times, we had plenty of possession on the periphery of their box.

Just now, Dr The Singh said:

That makes things worse for me, a punch drunk keeper, who can't kick......and guess what, we don't take advantage

Totally. It's like our players hadn't realised he was knackered. If you and I and (the tit) Jamie Carragher could see it why couldn't professional players?

7 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Been waiting to see what Iheanacho brings to the team. Still waiting.

....do I sense a bit of an attitude thing there?:blink:

Iheanacho clapped for the fans when he came off, and has looked very positive and spoken positively to the press. What have you seen re the attitude? He doesn't always chase as much as Vardy, but he doesn't seem disinterested or dispirited. No doubt he is frustrated, but that is natural I think.

Just now, adam said:

We need a sacking. That was garbage. Shakespeare doesn't have a clue 

I think he is now on the verge. I think he gets the next 4 games for certain, but if we don't pick up at least two league wins and win our cup match, I expect ownership will begin looking to replace him. Fortunately for Shakey, these are winnable games coming up, and a couple of wins would likely see Leicester mid-table. This team has too much talent to be playing like this, and we need a shake-up, immediately. Formation change to a 3-5-3 or a 3-4-3, or drop Vardy and go Iheanacho and Slimani as fwds. Give the defense something new to worry about.

If we can't beat teams like Huddersfield, Bournemouth and West Brom, then you really have to worry about our chances of staying up.

And why on earth did we not bring on Shinji? Did Shakey forget that he came on against Liverpool in the cup and changed the game?

I find it frustrating in teams like WBA (and Man Utd) playing for a point at times and refusing to 'give it a good go'. No wonder football is at times is a turn off for some, you'd find better football played in non-league.

Supporting WBA must be somewhat draining with their approach and two 'nutters in Pulls and Megson managing the team.

Really disappointed by Iheanacho. Was so excited when we signed him, but he showed no real signs of quality tonight and a lack of effort and desire too. 

Hoping it is just down to lack of confidence or rustiness but Slimani came on and ran around like a madman, held the ball up, had some neat passes and obviously set up the goal too.

Slimani should start over him next week. Iheanacho needs couple more cameos from the bench it seems. I'd actually like to see him as the main striker in a cup game, as he really didn't look to have the work rate for a no.10 tonight, certainly not in our system anyway. 

4 minutes ago, vanity said:

Iheanacho clapped for the fans when he came off, and has looked very positive and spoken positively to the press. What have you seen re the attitude? He doesn't always chase as much as Vardy, but he doesn't seem disinterested or dispirited. No doubt he is frustrated, but that is natural I think.

I think considering he’s come from a club with some of the best midfielders in the league supplying him to a club who have got next to nothing he’s not doing too badly. 

Archived