Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Transfers

Am I the only one to be concerned that our squad is getting to be top heavy? I worry that our famous 'team spirit' may be getting watered down by having too many 'stars' who don't get regular first team football and must be feeling a bit pe'ed off? When only one of your SEVEN most expensive players EVER can make the first eleven it points to a problem (probably a recruitment problem!). I'm hoping in january we sign no-one  and maybe move on some fringe players (Musa? Ulloa? Benny? - all of whom would be excellent aquisitions for championship clubs) . Lets make room for the big signings, the youngsters, returning loanees, returning injuries and, of course, Adrien Silva!

32 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Am I the only one to be concerned that our squad is getting to be top heavy? I worry that our famous 'team spirit' may be getting watered down by having too many 'stars' who don't get regular first team football and must be feeling a bit pe'ed off? When only one of your SEVEN most expensive players EVER can make the first eleven it points to a problem (probably a recruitment problem!). I'm hoping in january we sign no-one  and maybe move on some fringe players (Musa? Ulloa? Benny? - all of whom would be excellent aquisitions for championship clubs) . Lets make room for the big signings, the youngsters, returning loanees, returning injuries and, of course, Adrien Silva!

Nice post can agree with nearly all you say. But would still like to add Claude's players. So we will have to see. Nice post ?

51 minutes ago, waylander said:

Nice post can agree with nearly all you say. But would still like to add Claude's players. So we will have to see. Nice post ?

I also agree with the post, however I always want to see new quality being added, I have tantrums when there aren’t atleast transfer rumours lol 

Presumably Maguire, Silva, Iborra and Ndidi will all be key players this season.

Slimani and Nacho will play a part, if Mahrez goes I expect one of them to play more.

ulloa has easily repaid his transfer fee, we shouldn't have offered him a new contract, however.

Mendy was injured and compared to Kante.  He seems to be playing well so we may recover most of our fee for him.

Musa is pace an not much else and I'd say he was a bad buy.

Krameric is also playing well since he moved on.

We bought players to evolve but didn't change our play.  The squad needs a bit of trimming and Puel will want to bring in a few players so I expect more change in Jan.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ulloa, Musa, Benalouane, James and possibly Slimani leave in January.

I'd be surprised if James left, he's just signed a new contract, but won't be a big earner, with everything he has been through I don't see him having an issue with a squad place, he was also our best midfielder at the start of the season. Injuries are obviously a big issue but if he stays injury free he would be a good addition to the squad and the dressing room.

I expect Puel to have a clear out, the players you mentioned and the long term benefit of keeping Huth and to a lesser extent Fuchs and Morgan will also need to be considered.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ulloa, Musa, Benalouane, James and possibly Slimani leave in January.

Ulloa just signed a bumper 2 year contract. He is 31. He isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Musa must be on at least £40-45k a week. All we can hope for is he has a good World Cup so another gullible club will take him off our hands otherwise he, too, isn't going anywhere.

Benalouane will see out his contract here and leave on a free. Utter waste of a signing. These guys are on big money and we can't ship them out.

James & Slimani might still have a future here.

If we play Puel's system then we'll sell some of our forwards for sure and likely bring in more winger / attacking midfielder types, sort of like Salah and Mane at Liverpool. I expect to see Ben Arfa here personally.

We already have a great signing coming into the squad in January so for the first time in a long while I am not concerned with the window. Even at Right Back, Amartey looks like he has some potential there.

I think Puel's challenge is how to maximise what we have rather than needing a complete overhaul. We have a good squad.

"seven most expensive players"... is really a misleading perspective.  The transfer fee and value of a player are two different things.  If the players that were bought for those fees don't get that... someone needs to have a word and bring them down a peg or two.  Take Vardy, Mahrez and Kasper... cheap to buy, but higher value to us than probably all the 'magnificent seven'.  I understand what you mean in terms of squad harmony, but I don't think transfer fee is key to that.  Wages can be an issue if ones playing more get payed less than ones playing less, after that I think it is more about expectations.  I would hope those sitting on the bench were not oversold on expectations of how often they would play.  If these things were an issue, I would be saying to them, "the fee we paid for you doesn't prove your value and worth to the team: It's your job to do that".

48 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ulloa just signed a bumper 2 year contract. He is 31. He isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Musa must be on at least £40-45k a week. All we can hope for is he has a good World Cup so another gullible club will take him off our hands otherwise he, too, isn't going anywhere.

Benalouane will see out his contract here and leave on a free. Utter waste of a signing. These guys are on big money and we can't ship them out.

James & Slimani might still have a future here.

You know Ulloa had a RISE how?

Yes he signed a new 2 year but it does not mean he’s had a “Bumper new contact” 

I can't see us getting 50m for mahrez imo we will get between 30-40m. Unless he plays brillantly upto jan no one will pay 50m for him. God knows why we gave a player a new contract who refused to play for us in feb - ulloa. Theres just far too much player power at the club. Just like james getting a new contract who has started a few games gets injured again yet gets a new deal. I think the club realise theyll get between 30-40m for mahrez but putting a larger figure on it is being quite clever. 

3 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

I also agree with the post, however I always want to see new quality being added, I have tantrums when there aren’t atleast transfer rumours lol 

That reminds me, Is Kelechi invited round yours for Chrimbo dinner?

53 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

That reminds me, Is Kelechi invited round yours for Chrimbo dinner?

Me and the family are being flown out out to Nigeria for the week, he’s got family he’d like to catchup with, but equally didn’t want to be deprived of my company and suggested we go with lol

35 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Me and the family are being flown out out to Nigeria for the week, he’s got family he’d like to catchup with, but equally didn’t want to be deprived of my company and suggested we go with lol

This is where being an ITK pays off so well...lol

19 hours ago, weller54 said:

And Mahrez? 

I think he'll stay until the summer but I suppose January can see some outrageous bids as clubs panic and maybe we'll see a bid close to what we wanted for Riyad in the summer. However, I would want more than £45 million in January as any replacement would cost a premium given the time of the year. Ben Arfa might be cut price but if we wanted someone like Thorgan Hazard or Hakim Ziyech we'd end up paying nearly all of it back to get them.

Archived