Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ian_marshall

Premier League Saturday night football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42022871

Premier League at it again. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to this, where does it end?!? 

It wouldn't be so bad if there were regulations in place restricting such games to supporter commutes of no more than an hour, but you can guarantee that we'll end up playing someone like Swansea on a Saturday night at 7.30pm, or Newcastle playing Bournemouth midweek. 

On the plus side I guess we'll be on tv more for those that can't get to games. The worst case will be if someone else joins sky and bt and you'll need to sign up to 3 or more contracts to see them all.

It's fairly certain they'll up their vetting of illegal streams by then.

As a TV viewer I welcome this news as its a good time to watch a game.

As someone who goes to games I also welcome it as it becomes part of a night out and when I go to away games it's normally on a Saturday and I normally stop over in that city or town so won't effect that.

In fact the only people it will effect are those older fans who go to away matches to sit down all game and who have flasks of tea and sandwiches made for half time.

To be honest I don't care if it effects them as anyone with a flask inside a football stadium should have a lifetime ban anyway in my humble opinion.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

On the plus side I guess we'll be on tv more for those that can't get to games. The worst case will be if someone else joins sky and bt and you'll need to sign up to 3 or more contracts to see them all.

It's fairly certain they'll up their vetting of illegal streams by then.

Yes, that's got to be the most bizarre idea of competition ever. Actually works against the consumer and just pumps up revenue for the PL. True competition would be to ensure that at least 2 broadcasters have rights to all matches.

7:30pm on a Saturday is a lot better than any Monday, midweek, or lunchtime kick off. That's not a problem for me.

However, more televised games in general is a problem. More midweek and Bank Holiday games is a problem. If they're going to get the Saturday night slot, they should be forced to remove one Sunday game. There is no positive to a Sunday match for any spectator.

Unfortunately, there is no one involved in the Premier League who has ever been a football fan so there is no one with authority to say hang on a minute, this isn't right. There should have been regulations in place before it got out of hand. Not televising 3pm kick offs was the wrong one, they should have put their foot down with Sunday or Monday night games. Those are the real killers of atmospheres.

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

7:30pm on a Saturday is a lot better than any Monday, midweek, or lunchtime kick off. That's not a problem for me.

However, more televised games in general is a problem. If they're going to get the Saturday night slot, they should be forced to remove one Sunday game. There is no positive to a Sunday match for any spectator.

Unfortunately, there is no one involved in the Premier League who has ever been a football fan so there is no one with authority to say hang on a minute, this isn't right.

Probably never had to pay to get there or get in.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

All day sesh followed by football, sounds good to me.

Well yeah, I'm sure a fair few of us will take full advantage, but it's going to inconvenience way more people than it's beneficial to. Besides, do we really need any more games on TV? Who's really got the time to watch five full games of football every weekend?

As someone else pointed out, there'll be no thought to those travelling large distances and being unable to use public transport because of this. The negatives massively outweigh any vaguely positive points.

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Well yeah, I'm sure a fair few of us will take full advantage, but it's going to inconvenience way more people than it's beneficial to. Besides, do we really need any more games on TV? Who's really got the time to watch five full games of football every weekend?

As someone else pointed out, there'll be no thought to those travelling large distances and being unable to use public transport because of this. The negatives massively outweigh any vaguely positive points.

Single people. Lucky bastards

For those that travel distances to home games it makes it even more difficult.

Price we pay for modern prem football. I have had a season ticket for over 40 years and now I live away I find it a struggle other than Saturday afternoon and if you consider this season and the number of games televised you cannot help question the viability of a season ticket.

I am not complaining just stating the fact that modern football is all about money and whilst LCFC is part of my DNA I will probably only get to half the home games this season.

The comforting fact maybe that if I was to give up my season ticket that a local fan would definitely snap the seat up.....sad really but a fact of life I guess.

I'm sure people wont be saying it's good if it ends up it's split between Sky, BT, Amazon and Apple which it will eventually.

Even if they allowed 3pm games they'd still want to fill their screening days with games  at different times.

Purely from a PL fans perspective all games should be made available to all broadcasters willing to pay for them and all streamed at the same time. That way we'd end up with real competition between the broadcasters.

Saturday night kick offs are infinitely better than lunch time or Monday night.

Having 3 or nore broadcasters to sign up for is troublesome though. As davieG said Apple and Amazon will at some point also get involved and fans will pay a fortune for live games.

They've always argued that showing 3pm games would impact on attendance but i don't believe that would be the case. Surely a televised mid week or Saturday night game which makes travel etc more difficult actually impacts on peoples ability to attend more.

I'm happy for there to be more televised games, yes I'd sometimes have time to watch 4 or 5 and sometimes do, (no, I'm not single) but if they start to get distributed over several broadcasters it'll be a pain in the ar$e. My sky/bt bill is already ridiculous. 

IMO the quicker the internet giants get involved, the better. They're the ones that will be able to persuade the dinosaurs at the Premier League that a fairly priced, accessible streaming service for ALL games will would be of benefit to the game in this country. And would have the financial incentives and the technology to pull it off.

It would mean that we don't need to have games kicking off at every waking hour from Friday through to Monday, and can stick to the traditional 3pm K/O time. People would pay for it, illegal streaming numbers would go down, and the myth about attendance numbers dropping would finally be debunked.

Another unnecessary television "innovation" that nobody asked for. Just change the bloody law, and televise all of the 3pm kickoffs. Plenty of football to televise, and no moving of kickoff times. It's obscene that it is easier to watch Leicester on TV in the states than in the UK. I've also had enough of the Premier League whining about piracy and lost revenue, while not legally screening all games. What is the legal option for someone wanting to watch our game on TV tomorrow? The legal option is to not watch it at all, and listen on the radio like a 1940s peasant. Lost revenue? I have money for Leicester games Premier League, but you refuse to let me watch them all, so the only option is to shell out for BT and Sky, and then be stuck watching a load of fecking Bournemouth games that I never wanted.

The law would need changing, but I notice the Premier League has no problems lobbying government to get all sorts of fancy ISP level blocking powers given to them, so how about using your powers to actually give the fans games to watch, instead of using protectionism to protect their grubby little cash pile.

9 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

They've always argued that showing 3pm games would impact on attendance but i don't believe that would be the case. Surely a televised mid week or Saturday night game which makes travel etc more difficult actually impacts on peoples ability to attend more.

I'm happy for there to be more televised games, yes I'd sometimes have time to watch 4 or 5 and sometimes do, (no, I'm not single) but if they start to get distributed over several broadcasters it'll be a pain in the ar$e. My sky/bt bill is already ridiculous. 

The view was that it would affect lower league attendances which could if true have a devastating effect on their existence as they rely heavily on gate receipts. 

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

However, more televised games in general is a problem. More midweek and Bank Holiday games is a problem. If they're going to get the Saturday night slot, they should be forced to remove one Sunday game. There is no positive to a Sunday match for any spectator.

Unfortunately, there is no one involved in the Premier League who has ever been a football fan so there is no one with authority to say hang on a minute, this isn't right. There should have been regulations in place before it got out of hand. Not televising 3pm kick offs was the wrong one, they should have put their foot down with Sunday or Monday night games. Those are the real killers of atmospheres.

I'd happily swap Sunday and Monday games for Friday and Saturday games. Shame the thoughts of match going fans don't actually matter.

Archived