Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ian_marshall

Premier League Saturday night football

Quite happy with saturday night games but as others have said, it is more televised games at the expense of the 3pm Saturday slot that I object to. If sky have their way there'll be a game every day of the week and saturday will only ever have a few fixtures.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Well yeah, I'm sure a fair few of us will take full advantage, but it's going to inconvenience way more people than it's beneficial to. Besides, do we really need any more games on TV? Who's really got the time to watch five full games of football every weekend?

As someone else pointed out, there'll be no thought to those travelling large distances and being unable to use public transport because of this. The negatives massively outweigh any vaguely positive points.

Looking at the real fact that, many fans bemoan they cant get tickets, or the various membership schemes, dont guarrantee

any chance of getting a ticket, it would open other possiblities.

Our modern society , have many fans not being able to get to Saturday  3:00 hrs kick off times, some can make evening games,

but not night games, or visaversa. Our working habits have changed, one sees that by just reading the posters thoughts on

Changed or cancel KO.times

Single lads n lasses, are more flexable, I love big sporting days, some where 2-3 football games (Plus Rugby-cricket) can be seen, but one thing is for sure, as a dad with 4 kids when my kids were young, I wouldnt dump the family outings or special days for those tv-sports program.

1st I would organise my time , if I really wanted to have a sports weekend/evening/day then

I would chose which ones, or what time I would like to be home.I wouldnt grab all dates for myself. My kids liked also the big sports events, and would watch with me.

I still love to see that majority of games played on Saturdays or Sunday afternoon KOs, but

I see nothing detrimental, in other days having their spread......but the organisers and Various  european FAs, have to be clever, you need to recognise the individual countrys Cup competitions, and the planning of the CL and EL games.It cant be left to chance.

I am for an early season start from 1st wk in August going upto end of May, but with a winter break. For traditionalist, still keep the boxing day features. Break could be no league games 9 days before xmas, 1 day in those "9"  could be designated to the league cup for those who have reached that stage, plus a small rule change, that each team, need to field an X-amount of youth players in the team, and X-amount for the bench.No New years fixtures 1st games 2nd 

Wkend in January.

To force/encourage teams, to integrate English/through europe ) youth players into their squads , then from 7 bench warmers ,3 must be Youth players, where if 3 subs are used 1 must be one of the younger subs.Plus every 10 games every club should have fielded at least 1  young player from their reserves/academies.....

We are seeing too many times players stagnating, with no motivation...The clubs should show their fans that their youth schemes are showing progress...

Not for me. I'm already 50/50 on whether to bother with the Man Utd game on the 23rd December.

Preferable to a Monday night but behind any of the other kick off times available. 

I think it's alright if you want to go out with the lads and have a good session (expect more projectile vomiting in the gents :() but dragging myself out from the county into town on a Saturday evening isn't for me.  

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

They've always argued that showing 3pm games would impact on attendance but i don't believe that would be the case. Surely a televised mid week or Saturday night game which makes travel etc more difficult actually impacts on peoples ability to attend more.

I'm happy for there to be more televised games, yes I'd sometimes have time to watch 4 or 5 and sometimes do, (no, I'm not single) but if they start to get distributed over several broadcasters it'll be a pain in the ar$e. My sky/bt bill is already ridiculous. 

All PL 3pm games on TV would decimate the lower leagues, there'd be a few hundred turning up to games in League 1 and 2 at most, everyone would be on their armchairs watching the big teams on TV. Lower league teams heavily rely on ticket revenue to survive, not like the PL clubs where ticket revenue is just a nice little extra.

I personally think screening 3pm games would be the real death of football. Also I absolutely love the big weekends watching 3 or 4 games in a row

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

All PL 3pm games on TV would decimate the lower leagues, there'd be a few hundred turning up to games in League 1 and 2 at most, everyone would be on their armchairs watching the big teams on TV. Lower league teams heavily rely on ticket revenue to survive, not like the PL clubs where ticket revenue is just a nice little extra.

I personally think screening 3pm games would be the real death of football. Also I absolutely love the big weekends watching 3 or 4 games in a row

I just have my doubts, if you're committed enough to go and watch Accrington on a Saturday afternoon are you going to bother to pay to stay in and watch Stoke play us? Although I suppose if they're showing every game rather than a select game as per the TV games now you probably are going to get some stay in to watch Man U etc.

26 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I just have my doubts, if you're committed enough to go and watch Accrington on a Saturday afternoon are you going to bother to pay to stay in and watch Stoke play us? Although I suppose if they're showing every game rather than a select game as per the TV games now you probably are going to get some stay in to watch Man U etc.

There's the danger which already exist to some extent that it will affect the longer terms attendances as the PL gets even more exposure thus drawing newbies to PL teams rather than their local lower league team.

25 minutes ago, davieG said:

There's the danger which already exist to some extent that it will affect the longer terms attendances as the PL gets even more exposure thus drawing newbies to PL teams rather than their local lower league team.

When we were in div 1 i would still have paid to watch or gi see lcfc ratger than watch anyone else

15 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

When we were in div 1 i would still have paid to watch or gi see lcfc ratger than watch anyone else

As I'm sure I and many others will do. But I'm talking now about the future where kids haven't been introduced to their local team but get to see all the PL games on TV and align themselves with one of those for all sorts of obscure reasons. It happens now so I don't see any reason to believe it wont happen and more in the future if more games are being shown live.

Saturday night will be a great target for school kids with no school the next day.

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

As I'm sure I and many others will do. But I'm talking now about the future where kids haven't been introduced to their local team but get to see all the PL games on TV and align themselves with one of those for all sorts of obscure reasons. It happens now so I don't see any reason to believe it wont happen and more in the future if more games are being shown live.

Saturday night will be a great target for school kids with no school the next day.

You're right of course... but the future for making max money for pl clubs will be live streaming ppv.... and that will cannibalise lower div attendences more.

BTW.... i think if the pl is to remain competitive then the money should be biased to the bottom 10 clubs... so they dont lose touch.

So the lower divs will have to look at how they bring young fans in to support them.  I believe yhey could do alot more.

I am not saying this is right... but it's going to happen. .. so start plannin

If it was to herald a change and the Monday night slot was ditched and we had one game on a Sunday at, say, 2pm then I'd think progress was being made in terms of match going fan relations. But given live games will continue to increase in number it will probably get worse for some.

I realise there is a need for the 3pm blackout but it does make it more inconvenient for the Premier League fans with over half the matches being on TV in a couple of years time.

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

As a TV viewer I welcome this news as its a good time to watch a game.

As someone who goes to games I also welcome it as it becomes part of a night out and when I go to away games it's normally on a Saturday and I normally stop over in that city or town so won't effect that.

In fact the only people it will effect are those older fans who go to away matches to sit down all game and who have flasks of tea and sandwiches made for half time.

To be honest I don't care if it effects them as anyone with a flask inside a football stadium should have a lifetime ban anyway in my humble opinion.

If you’d tasted the tea at Stoke, you,d take a flask......

With matches switched to an evening KO, you often hear about how hard it is for people who travel a long distance to get back from games and/or the lack of public transport.

But it's worth remembering it's not just about those travelling "long distances".   You can't even get back to some local places by train.

The last train back to Melton is 21.18.   Absolutely impossible for any night match.

The last train back to Market Harborough is 21.58.   Pretty much impossible unless you leave 10 mins befre the end.

The last direct train back to Syston/Sileby/Barrow is 21.26.  Again too late.

There are 100's of City fans who live in Melton, Oakham, Stamford, Mkt Harborough, Kettering etc.   Reasonably local places ... but any night match pretty much rules out any public transport and a few beers.

It's a case of not being bothered aslong as it doesn't effect us really (A hypopcrytical view when you read the rest of my post admitedly), certainly regarding away games.

I'm not against it, I'd rather a Saturday night game than a midweek game really as has been mentioned.

I do have to question the PL's thoughts and consideration's for away fan's though, they simply don't give a fook do they?! That's what I don't like and it's they way football is going, which is very sad to see.

I mean for example few away games this season have ****ed me over because of the introduction of Friday night games, Arsenal and West Ham. Stoke being move for TV stopped me going, Man Utd. 4 games that off the top of my head i'd have gone to but moves for TV have meant it wasn't possible.

It's great for the likes of fans of the top teams who don't go to games, wouldn't know what going to a game is like and rely on TV coverage, but for 'proper' fans (And this isn't a "I'm better a better fan than you" post, it's fact) who actually go to games, it really is frustrating.

Unfortunately for the 'proper' fans, the ones who actually turn up and support they are the minority compared to the TV viewers.

It's funny to see you lot thinking that you as fans going to live matches are important. There are far far far more supporters worldwide who can't, that's where the money is. That's why the PL are earning so much from tv and certainly PPV is on the way.

Will it affect live attendances? probably not much if at all. The proof is there to see in U.S. Sports. Fans, like you, will still go and maybe there'll be a few more tickets for those "young fans" you've been crying over not getting tickets and the tourist fan. Maybe the prices can even be reduced.

lower divisions. The PL doesn't care. They'll have to adjust to get people in. maybe that'll mean they have no chance of ever playing in the prem but the PL doesn't care about that either.

Shite but as always they can get away with it. Everybody moans but doesn't actually do anything about it.

As for clubs, what can I say, they don't care about fans at all. As long as they make more money stuff the fans.

Best league in the world, with the majority of the best players, the most competition for  league places and the most cash. 

It it stands to reason that people all over the world will want to see it. The Premiere Leage isn’t our humble working mans entertainment anymore. It’s a global brand and consumers demand more games being televised around the world. 

If if you ask me, the ban on 3pm kick offs being televised should be life red before moving more games for tv. As well, restrict the watering down of games over multiple subscription services. 

Archived