Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

West Ham post match 1-1

38 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Two defeats in eleven, lost to Liverpool and Man City.....not lost toHuddersfield, Everton, Stoke,Bournemouth,Swansea,Leeds,West Brom, WestHam....as we approach Christmasdo you see what I see?

Papering over cracks?

Ooo I do love a good unbeaten stat - oh how it can be used to twist and make things sound better than they are.

I'm a very fact based person and you have simply stated the facts but lets dissect it all, dig a little deeper.

Whilst we've not lost to those teams we've only beat 3 of them - one of those being a cup game, I'm not discounting that and i'd be delighted if we go on to win the cup - will we though :unsure: but i'm more very concerned with our league form.

Played poor against Huddersfield, Bournemouth, West Brom and West Ham.

I don't give a flying fuck whether most of them were away or not, that is just an excuse people use, we should be beating these teams if we are to be challenging where we want to be instead we'll just be float around relegation fodder and battle away.

West Ham, the Olympic Stadium, lots has been made about how bad the atmosphere is, how toxic it is, West Ham fans unhappy, getting on their backs, we needed to capitalise on those factors, we got the early goal that everyone was agreed was so important, we failed to build on it, we just sat back, let them come on to us and then we defended for the majority of the game. Disgraceful.

2 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

One massive issue is our backup players. Gray and Mahrez are going to have off days but who can we bring on to improve our attacking play when they play bad? Chilwell who isn't a winger and Musa who isn't a player. Would it be worth putting Vardy on the bench to come onto the wings and starting either Nacho or Slimani up top?

As a side note Mahrez is so selfish nowadays always looking to shoot rather then pass, he is doing what Gray used to do when he was trying to get in the team yet I don't see a thread slating Mahrez and calling him selfish? Both wingers were poor today but Gray tried to play others in and passed more then he dribbled. Mahrez needs to do the simple things and look at Man City players for an example, Sterling, Jesus and Sane are all capable of going past players by dribbling yet they also know when to release the ball and make runs in behind. Hope under Puels management both him and Gray will learn to be more effective going forwards.

This.

Mahrez needs to look at each of his jposessions and study his options... and then see what he did.  He is trying too hard to make an impact.  While they are arranging this for mahrez then they can do it for gray too. He needs to work hard to improve... not just say here i am the last two blokes couldnt see how good i am.

Grey mahrez and albrighton were not offering the way out in 2nd half.  Shinji was the solution from 50 mins on.

To be honest I'm amazed by the massive over reaction on here - first 30 minutes was excellent and we dominated the ball and play. Had Riyad no been so selfish we should have had a few more. The ref was extremely fussy giving them a number a free kicks around the box. Ok second half was poor but don't forget it's their first game under a new manager and the crowd played a big part. 

Weve learned that Riyad is not a number 10 and certainly away from home we need to play Shinji or Slim - that's clearly not working. But I personally was encouraged to see us pass the ball. Judging Puel at this stage is insane - from what I've seen we are heading the right direction. 

Finally, I agree i would have made a change around 60/65 mins bringing on Shinji for Riyad. But Chilwell came on because WH had just bought on fresh legs on the right and a lot of their play was down that side. 

I don't know what people expect. Puel has only just got here and has to work with a set of players who have become less confident as a group over the last year or so, starting with Ranners second season and then under Shakespeare.

We have had some shocking transfer windows recently too, wasting a kings ransom on the likes of Musa, Mendy and Slimani... all looking to be a complete waste of money.

He needs time. 

If he's to get us playing differently, he's got to be able to offload the rubbish (of which we've accumulated too much) and start signing his own players. The introduction of Silva (though not a Puel signing) will neatly fit his mould of how he wants us to play.

We went away to West Ham yesterday and defended resolutely against a side that pretty much had to win the game to get their season back on track. We got a point and I believe we sit 11th in the table.

Given the circumstances, I'm more than happy with that.

The problem on here of course is that the same numpties who are crying in their beer that we didn't beat West Ham will be the first ones to spaff over Puel if we win the next game. 

Everyone needs to take their time and just watch what he's doing.

imo.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don't know what people expect...

Yes we must be patient as puel changes things.  But we played well against man city and so i think we should expect to create chances againts the shambolic defence of relegation zone west ham.  Lets be honest and say we didnt create chances against city... or against west ham.  Gray and mahrez had the night off.  While peul changes things we still have games to play and we are not creating chances even against poorer teams...we draw.  If mahrez and gray playing well it works... if not we should put shinji on.  He forces errors from defenders having to pass too quickley.  Puel should take the shinji option when we are cowed 

10 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Shinji needs to play every game. 

Disgraceful we are still having to rely on him

I still tend to go back to the transfer window immediately after we won the title.

It was dreadful.

We have so many players at this club now who aren't of Premiership quality. Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Amartey, King, James

Add to that Fuchs (well past his best) and Morgan (ditto)

The squad needs a clear out.

Bollox to those who claim the likes of 'Amartey will come good and needs a chance'.

Hes not been given much chance under three successive managers. Some players need moving on.

Not the most enjoyable game I've watched

On the positive side we didn't lose and we managed to scrape a point

Some of the football was pretty good in spells to, but we are not Man city

We just seemed slow getting the ball forward or we were losing the ball to often.

Considering all that happened, I'll take a point and keep my fingers crossed for a Month at least    :fc:

Ps: On that performance it's mid table at best, After Spurs on Tuesday the next four games will tell us how good or bad it's going to be.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I still tend to go back to the transfer window immediately after we won the title.

It was dreadful.

We have so many players at this club now who aren't of Premiership quality. Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Amartey, King, James

Add to that Fuchs (well past his best) and Morgan (ditto)

The squad needs a clear out.

Bollox to those who claim the likes of 'Amartey will come good and needs a chance'.

Hes not been given much chance under three successive managers. Some players need moving on.

And the rest of them since.

Another pattern emerging.

Will anything be down, will it fuck.

Can't help but think the Saints fans were talking a lot of sense about Puel, a point was a decent escape from West Ham, this sort of performance took me back to the Sven days, promised so much but totally clueless going forward!

It was a decent point in the context of this game. As the WH dominated coverage before and after on sky, it wasn't a 'regular' league game - so we did ok.

We're improving in possession all the time, but perhaps didn't capitalise enough in the first 30 mins. 

I thought Danny Simpson was outstanding, and he never gets enough credit.

Doesn’t matter what way you look at it, we’ve just gone to the worst team in the league, a team in an absolute mess, and taken a point. 

I dont mind sitting back against the bigger teams but we didn’t even try and get forward after their goal. Way too early to judge Puel but if that’s the way we’re going to play we need a serious change in personnel on the pitch. 

Also I thought Simpson was excellent yesterday. For someone who treats the ball like a hot potato he was great. Morgan too.  

2 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

It was a decent point in the context of this game. As the WH dominated coverage before and after on sky, it wasn't a 'regular' league game - so we did ok.

We're improving in possession all the time, but perhaps didn't capitalise enough in the first 30 mins. 

I thought Danny Simpson was outstanding, and he never gets enough credit.

We really are scraping the barrel of excuses now! :crylaugh:

10 hours ago, Balj said:

When is Kasper going to learn how to position himself and his defense at set pieces.   Do we have a goalkeeping/defensive coach at all

He’s been at fault for at least 4 or 5 goals this season.

He needs dropping; why do we have a squad where there seems to be no intent from ANY manager to use this as a tool to keep players on their toes and fighting for their shirt? 

I dislike Mahrez is well known.

His selfish attitude I have believed for over 12 months is bad influence on the team.

Please get rid in January.

To Claude,

Play to the teams strengths;

be brave as in the Everton first half and try and WIN every game.

Many called for change, me included. Unfortunately doesn't happen overnight. This squad is spent and to play the football Puel wants he is going to have to start phasing players out. He has had 4 games!!! Typical of the instant society we live in now. 

I believe we will come good in the 2nd half of the season. 

I think Mahrez should be left out on Tuesday after that showing. Best for all concerned if we cash in. That is controversy, but a statement of intent. Fuchs also I think. Let's Chilwell play in position A and have 10 games. If doesn't work we need a new one, but I think he will be good at LB.

As for Wes, he is getting les mobile and bigger. We have a mobile CB in Dragovic. Surely using the run of fixtures would be perfect timing to say he is rested for a game and see what Dragovic and Maguire do. 

Can't understand why be played a team which should have been deadly on the quick counter but changed our style as if to totally negate this advantage. I know that this forum constantly critises 'hoofball' - and rightly so - but the occasional quick incisive forward pass (à là Iborra, 2nd minute v Man. C) is the only way yesterdays team was going to score; yet we only did it once (and scored) in the entire game.:blink:

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I don't know what people expect. Puel has only just got here and has to work with a set of players who have become less confident as a group over the last year or so, starting with Ranners second season and then under Shakespeare.

We have had some shocking transfer windows recently too, wasting a kings ransom on the likes of Musa, Mendy and Slimani... all looking to be a complete waste of money.

He needs time. 

If he's to get us playing differently, he's got to be able to offload the rubbish (of which we've accumulated too much) and start signing his own players. The introduction of Silva (though not a Puel signing) will neatly fit his mould of how he wants us to play.

We went away to West Ham yesterday and defended resolutely against a side that pretty much had to win the game to get their season back on track. We got a point and I believe we sit 11th in the table.

Given the circumstances, I'm more than happy with that.

The problem on here of course is that the same numpties who are crying in their beer that we didn't beat West Ham will be the first ones to spaff over Puel if we win the next game. 

Everyone needs to take their time and just watch what he's doing.

imo.

The same side that Brighton and Watford spaffed over without thinking or having to defend resolutely. Anybody would think we played Barcelona from that description. Moreover, did we defend resolutely? We cacked ourselves everytime there was a free kick or corner. 

We played a team void of cofidence, fighting for their lives and missed an opportunity.  We were so comfortable for the first 30 minutes, it was embarrassing.  We looked like a top 4 side again and were quality.  Then we started giving needless free kicks and corners away in and around the penalty area and you could see their confidence start to grow!  You could see what was going to happen and it did, right on the stroke of half time!!

Second half we didn't get out of the blocks and looked clumsy in possession.  Things we have learnt:

1.  We conceded on the stroke of halftime AGAIN (we did it against Arsenal in the first game and it gives the opposition such a lift.  We relly need to fight tooth and nail to stop this).

2.  We conceded ANOTHER heaed goal from a set piece as we did against Stoke.  We went through a period last season of doing this but we really haven't stopped the rot.  We have to work hard to score goals and giving teams goals off of corners and set pieces needs to cut out....period!

3.  After a promising start, we let them back in the door, which should not happen!  If we'd have got the second, they would have panicked, the crowd would have turned and we would have got 3 or 4.

4.  It was quite clear we have the better players (as it did against Stoke) but we need to be more cut throat and ruthless in attack and to fight tooth and nail ro keep the ball out at the other end.  Too many easy goals conceded and playing into the oppositions hands.

Archived