Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

West Ham post match 1-1

27 minutes ago, foxtillidrop said:

Why doesn't this manager play Okazaki? Terrible second half performance, no intention of trying to win the game. How can we look forward to the Spurs game after that?

Okazaki disrupts the opposition - crazy to leave him out away from home.

I don't understand why he is not playing shinji. 

Just now, Bunyip said:

It wasn't the draw it was the manner of the draw. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would want to try and polish that turd of a performance.

We have a new manager who is trying to change the style of play with a squad that isn't his. We were good for the first half an hour tonight, granted it was disappointing after that but a reaction from West Ham was to be expected. Sorry that I'm not a complete doom and gloom merchant. 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We have a new manager who is trying to change the style of play with a squad that isn't his. We were good for the first half an hour tonight, granted it was disappointing after that but a reaction from West Ham was to be expected. Sorry that I'm not a complete doom and gloom merchant. 

With Puel in charge, you soon will be. I'm a realist, not a gloom merchant. Time will tell who's right.

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

On the plus side 1 point took us up to 11th

The problem is, there are five clubs within two points playing tomorrow or Sunday, none against the top six.  Worst case, we could end the week in 15th.  Unless some there is a new dawn v Spurs, we will pass the one-third mark on 14 points.

We were facing an opponent in poor form, which had key players unavailable, and the most tenuous home field advantage in the league.

This was a poor result masquerading as an "away draw".

Very disappointing second half, mostly because of how passive we were. I understand that they were buoyed by goal just before the break and the crowd getting behind them, but they were still fragile and there for the taking to an extent. Can't help but wish we'd been a little less timid/defensive.

That said, it's still an away point from a game in which we didn't play well. An underwhelming result, maybe, but it wasn't "shameful", "a disgrace", "embarrassing" or any such exaggeration.

Just now, Guest said:

Very disappointing second half, mostly because of how passive we were. I understand that they were buoyed by goal just before the break and the crowd getting behind them, but they were still fragile and there for the taking to an extent. Can't help but wish we'd been a little less timid/defensive.

That said, it's still an away point from a game in which we didn't play well. An underwhelming result, maybe, but it wasn't "shameful", "a disgrace", "embarrassing" or any such exaggeration.

Oh yes it was.

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We were good for the first 30 mins. against Everton,  good for the first 30 mins. against Stoke, good for the first 5 mins. against Man. City and good for the first 20 mins. tonight. See the pattern.....

The difference between halfs are like night and day. At this rate we need to be 4-0 up at half time to even have a chance of a result against Spurs. Poor decisions by Mahrez and Gray tonight, just need to get that right to give ourselves a chance.

I can't agree with the good point brigade, we seem to accept mediocrity as the norm.

Just got back thought I log in......we are unbeaten in 5 consecutive away games, taking 7 points on the way, people on here need to get real....we weren’t great, West Ham and the crowd got better.....but it’s another point on the way to 40 (remember that.) Ffs stop moaning and get behind the team....you can’t win em all, but if you don’t lose you are doing something right....

2 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Dreadful. Another garbage performance served up. Owners have a lot to answer for, how can premier league winners be so bad so quickly??

How did a relegation threatened team get so good so quickly. It was a one off extra ordinary season.....once in a lifetime....we haven’t signed a Pogba, Morata, Walker, Salah and our squad isn’t anywhere near the championship, so can we get over it, enjoy what happened, and get back to normal.....

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Chilwell was bought on to protect Fuchs

Slim was brought on too late.

Shinji would've spent the entire time on the floor and touching the ball very little. We've got a tall team but they played the air and beat us there.

And Kasper is getting worse with his kicking.

Agree...Puel didnt want to leave Ayew one on one with Fuchs...so brought on Chilwell...at that point i knew we had settled for a draw

Mahrez looks the only player of real quality we have ..but defending is not his strong point

Where the hell are Huth and James?

I have visions of them playing 'who can head-butt the hardest?' on each other.

Not panicking yet though. Puel is obviously working out his squad and who knows, might end up with a gem of a team. 

Six weeks to click I reckon.

Christmas schedule will give him a chance to play fringe players.

But you have to expect some iffy performances in these kind of situations.

3 hours ago, brucey said:

Now that Puel is gradually moulding the team away from the high tempo high pressing game and into his passing possession game, we've gotten worse. Same as what Ranieri tried to do. It just doesn't work.

Agree . On the face of it he is bold in his team selection but once the team start to flag as an attacking force they just seem satisfied to surrender the initiative straight away and turn the ball over far too easily . 

Whatver happened to just keeping possession and taking the wind out of the opposition's sails what NP called game management ? If CP sees that as the way to play he may need to find players that fit that formula 

It’s the day after thanksgiving here in the US of A.  Was really looking forward to seeing our lads give the hammers a good ass whooping in their current slump.  I still can’t get over the poor quality footy on show by both teams!

ruined the taste of my perfectly poured Guinness.

agree with most of you that we started well by dominating and scoring.   I thought great let’s shift up a gear get another goal or two and then Put this game to bed.  Instead we were treated to some kind of psychological torture.  Maybe they’ll show re-runs of this game in Guantanamo prison.  Saying all that I really hope puel is just making sure we don’t lose games while he sorts this team out.  A good show against spuds win or lose will be the perfect tonic to get over today’s dire performance.

6 hours ago, brucey said:

Now that Puel is gradually moulding the team away from the high tempo high pressing game and into his passing possession game, we've gotten worse. Same as what Ranieri tried to do. It just doesn't work.

We have been a high pressing team for about two years. Yesterday was no worse than games against Bournemouth, Huddersfield, West Brom.... in each game so far In fact I'd say we've slightly imporoved performances because at least we've had a sustained period of playing quite well, something we didn't have in those other games.

6 hours ago, reynard said:

Is this the most negative manager we've had since Gary Megson?

No ambition to win the game at all. Same against Man City which was perhaps excusable.

Totally agree with this. Puel didn't even try to win the match. Shinji for Gray or Mahrez was the sub to make. You're playing a side with zero form stuck in the drop zone and you don't even try for 3 points - disgraceful.  Ndidi has been struggling lately.  Too many fouls resulting in free kicks.

2 hours of my life that I won't get back.

Dreadful football, particularly second half. Gray very poor, Mahrez not much better. Albrighton's best for a while. Ndidi and Iborra looking good.

Must say I was hoping Puel would get them playing better than that, but early days I suppose and an away point is never a bad result.

One massive issue is our backup players. Gray and Mahrez are going to have off days but who can we bring on to improve our attacking play when they play bad? Chilwell who isn't a winger and Musa who isn't a player. Would it be worth putting Vardy on the bench to come onto the wings and starting either Nacho or Slimani up top?

As a side note Mahrez is so selfish nowadays always looking to shoot rather then pass, he is doing what Gray used to do when he was trying to get in the team yet I don't see a thread slating Mahrez and calling him selfish? Both wingers were poor today but Gray tried to play others in and passed more then he dribbled. Mahrez needs to do the simple things and look at Man City players for an example, Sterling, Jesus and Sane are all capable of going past players by dribbling yet they also know when to release the ball and make runs in behind. Hope under Puels management both him and Gray will learn to be more effective going forwards.

Our final ball is awful. We are trying too hard, often trying to thread the ball through tight spaces. We did that well when we won the league, but we moved the ball quicker then. I think we are holding on to the ball a second or too long and trying to then make that pass to split the defence, but it is being intercepted. If we just made the passes a fraction earlier I think we'd be praising the team and certain players (Mahrez and Gray), but because we just take that little bit too long it looks like we have forgotten how to pass.

We have two options, 1. Keep it simple and slow the game down and make easy sideways passes (no hoof ball as it just comes straight back) or 2. Play the more instinctive football the commentators mentioned.

I think we need to do both at different times of matches. However, I am not sure we can do either.

Lucky to come away with a point in the end. 

We was gifted a goal through comical defending & should've then went all out to try and add another goal whilst they were on the back foot.

We struggled massively defending set pieces. Yet insisted on giving away needless free kicks in our half. 

Having 2/3 shots on target in 90 minutes against this lot is not good enough. 

I appreciate Puel is trying to change things & it will be hard to adjust especially with our current squad! We don't have the players who are comfortable enough on the ball to play the possession style of football that he currently wants us to play. 

Last night reminded me a lot of watching England over the last few years...passing it around nicely at the back and into the midfield but then having no clue when going into the final third. 

I hope the football under him gets better better than what I've witnessed so far. 

17 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Two defeats in eleven, lost to Liverpool and Man City.....not lost toHuddersfield, Everton, Stoke,Bournemouth,Swansea,Leeds,West Brom, WestHam....as we approach Christmasdo you see what I see?

Yes I see it now, how could I miss it! Shinji promised to sing a George Michael hit everytime we avoided defeat. 

Archived