Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, matty98 said:

Sadly my 7 month old Lab had to be put to sleep yesterday after having an awful case of Lung worm. Please everyone make sure your dog wormer covers lung worm, as many off the shelf ones don't and would hate for anyone else to have to go through this.

Sorry to hear that. I have a 5 year old lab and would be heartbroken. I'm definitely going to check the wormer we use.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My dog, who has always been a loving and gentle little girl has recently started to become aggressive to other dogs while out on walks, to the point where i no longer let her off her lead if there's another dog anywhere near us, but it's becoming a problem because she's a very high energy breed and needs a lot of exercise.

Anyone got any ideas why a dog would suddenly change into a vicious little shit?

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

My dog, who has always been a loving and gentle little girl has recently started to become aggressive to other dogs while out on walks, to the point where i no longer let her off her lead if there's another dog anywhere near us, but it's becoming a problem because she's a very high energy breed and needs a lot of exercise.

Anyone got any ideas why a dog would suddenly change into a vicious little shit?

I suspect the short answer is she is either in pain or she is scared or anxious.  The question would be why.  I would start with a trip to the vet and explain the changes.  Is there any sign of tenderness in her hips or elbows if you handle them gently?  Has anything happened that would have changed her confidence around other dogs?  Did she have a fight?  Has she been left alone more often or anything?

6 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Dogs don't usually handle traumas well, so if she has been attacked she could have had a personality shift. There is also something called "rage syndrome" which mainly effects Springers, and can turn an otherwise friendly dog temporarily into an utter bastard. Some dogs just get anti-social with age, although this is usually gradual and would normally make a dog disinterested in other dogs rather than hostile.

What breed is she? Has she been bitten or anything recently?

I have a labrador bitch who is friendly af but can be very off with German shepherds thanks to a couple of bad experiences with them

5 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Dogs don't usually handle traumas well, so if she has been attacked she could have had a personality shift. There is also something called "rage syndrome" which mainly effects Springers, and can turn an otherwise friendly dog temporarily into an utter bastard. Some dogs just get anti-social with age, although this is usually gradual and would normally make a dog disinterested in other dogs rather than hostile.

What breed is she? Has she been bitten or anything recently?

I have a labrador bitch who is friendly af but can be very off with German shepherds thanks to a couple of bad experiences with them

She's a Basenji, notoriously stubborn which makes them quite difficult to train properly. She hasn't gone through any kind of trauma that i'm aware of. The only thing i have noticed is she only tends to get really aggressive towards other bitches. She hasn't been spayed yet, but is booked in for a couple of weeks time. I'm hoping its linked to that somehow and this could calm her down

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

She's a Basenji, notoriously stubborn which makes them quite difficult to train properly. She hasn't gone through any kind of trauma that i'm aware of. The only thing i have noticed is she only tends to get really aggressive towards other bitches. She hasn't been spayed yet, but is booked in for a couple of weeks time. I'm hoping its linked to that somehow and this could calm her down

She could be in heat I guess.  Or you are too late and are becoming a breeder!

5 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

There is your answer if she hasn't been spayed.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

She could be in heat I guess.  Or you are too late and are becoming a breeder!

Oh god, don't say that. I'm too young to be a grandad!! The great thing about Basenji's is they're one of the few breeds that only come in to season once a year, and her last time was about 5 months ago.

31 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

She's gone in to be spayed today. Anyone know how much aftercare they need after getting spayed?

As Costock says, just the lampshade. They can't be allowed to lick the wound for a week or two. Ours wasn't that interested so we took the collar off while she was in the house in the day (as long as she was in the same room as us) but must have it on at night. Ours was sleeping in a crate at the time and kept getting stuck the first few nights!

38 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just a lampshade for a few days should do it.

11 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

As Costock says, just the lampshade. They can't be allowed to lick the wound for a week or two. Ours wasn't that interested so we took the collar off while she was in the house in the day (as long as she was in the same room as us) but must have it on at night. Ours was sleeping in a crate at the time and kept getting stuck the first few nights!

Ah, the dreaded cone of shame! I've heard that it takes as much as a few weeks in some cases for the dog to fully recover and her personality to return to her old self. did you find that yours changed much afterwards?

8 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Erm, the vet that carries out the procedure might be a good start?

Thanks for the sarcasm, i'm well aware that the vet will have plenty of help and advice for me. i was just looking for advice from others who have been through the same thing so i can get prepared before picking her up from the vets...

6 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Ah, the dreaded cone of shame! I've heard that it takes as much as a few weeks in some cases for the dog to fully recover and her personality to return to her old self. did you find that yours changed much afterwards?

Thanks for the sarcasm, i'm well aware that the vet will have plenty of help and advice for me. i was just looking for advice from others who have been through the same thing so i can get prepared before picking her up from the vets...

You would be surprised how many people are willing to take the advice of a random person on the internet over the advice of a veterinary professional if it isn't what they want to hear.

I always find asking for advice on the t'internet about these things is counter productive. Wearing a 'lampshade' is only part of the process, you should limit exercise & activity for 7 days following surgery, possibly more depending on the dog.

Anyway, I wont do another vets job, they are better placed to advise than me but remember your pet has just received major abdominal surgery.

Edited by Lako42

1 minute ago, Lako42 said:

You would be surprised how many people are willing to take the advice of a random person on the internet over the advice of a veterinary professional if it isn't what they want to hear.

I always find asking for advice on the t'internet about these things is counter productive. Wearing a 'lampshade' is only part of the process, you should limit exercise & activity for 7 days following surgery, possibly more depending on the dog.

Anyway, I wont do another vets job, they is better placed to advise than me but remember your pet has just received major abdominal surgery.

Believe me, if someone on here gives me advice that contradicts what the vet says, i'll listen to the vet every time. Its just good sometimes to know what other people have done in my situation. Advice from other dog owners in these instances can still be very useful.