Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

6 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I always find asking for advice on the t'internet about these things is counter productive. Wearing a 'lampshade' is only part of the process, you should limit exercise & activity for 7 days following surgery, possibly more depending on the dog.

I actually forgot about the not exercising part! Yeah can't walk them for a few days while the wound seals up and after that it's about another week or two before they can go off-lead - ask the vet for the proper timeline

I didn't notice any character difference. The first 24 hours they are home is sad because they are still drugged up and don't know what's going on - this is the only time my labrador has ever refused to eat. After that she seemed fine, and of course after a day or two of not playing or being walked they're in your face with anything even resembling a toy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vocey said:

We are looking at getting a daschaund (sausage dog) but are in two minds as we both work 9-5 so dog would be alone for a fair bit of the day. Anyone with experience of the breed know if this is fair at all?

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dachshunds.html That website is quite good for breaking down dog breeds. I don't own a sausage dog however. 

Most dogs won't enjoy staying in the house all day by itself. Could always get 2, at least they will have some company. I find walking the dog for 20 minutes in the morning knackers them out enough so they're not complaining about you leaving in the morning. 

28 minutes ago, Christoph said:

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dachshunds.html That website is quite good for breaking down dog breeds. I don't own a sausage dog however. 

Most dogs won't enjoy staying in the house all day by itself. Could always get 2, at least they will have some company. I find walking the dog for 20 minutes in the morning knackers them out enough so they're not complaining about you leaving in the morning. 

Thanks, I luckily only work about 10 minutes from where I live, so could pop back at lunch. So looking at two 4 hour stints of loneliness. 

Picked up our second doggy last Friday! A 9week old pedigree Border Collie bitch! Farm Bred, she's lovely a proper livewire! My soon to be 8year old Border Collie keeps looking at us as if to say " Well when are you taking her back, she not here for good right?" :D

They get along great though and with the kids too! 

Bloody love dogs! I'd go as far as saying i like them more than most people 

• Like 3

Just now, sk3since03 said:

Picked up our second doggy last Friday! A 9week old pedigree Border Collie bitch! Farm Bred, she's lovely a proper livewire! My soon to be 8year old Border Collie keeps looking at us as if to say " Well when are you taking her back, she not here for good right?" :D

They get along great though and with the kids too! 

Bloody love dogs! I'd go as far as saying i like them more than most people 

You're not alone there, i'd imagine 99% of the people who have posted in this thread would say the same. Myself included.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sk3since03 said:

They'll never let you down that's for sure 

Cant exactly tell you to fck off can they? Or use your credit card or shag your best friend (ermmm maybe that they can do). lol

On a serious note,  well trained dogs are awesome.  Im not one for kissing my dog or letting a dog lick my face (thats just gross and chavvy). My brother has a well trained golden  lab and shes so awesome around the kids (protective) and super playful.

Cant have a dog though as the wife has allergies to them. Just like i have allergies to the useless animal known as a  cat.

Edited by Jattdogg

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Cant exactly tell you to fck off can they? Or use your credit card or shag your best friend (ermmm maybe that they can do). lol

On a serious note,  well trained dogs are awesome.  Im not one for kissing my dog or letting a dog lick my face (thats just gross and chavvy). My brother has a well trained golden  lab and shes so awesome around the kids (protective) and super playful.

Cant have a dog though as the wife has allergies to them. Just like i have allergies to the useless animal known as a  cat.

Haha lol

Bring them up properly and they will be respectful! No me too my dog never licks us,chews etc but again if you teach them not to they will soon learn! 

My next mission will be feeding! Once the pup is a little older she will have to learn that her food is hers and isnt shared between the two!

Thats a shame, dogs are a lot of fun 

1 hour ago, sk3since03 said:

They'll never let you down that's for sure 

Yeah other than when they shit on your carpet, eat expensive furniture and demolish your dinner before you have had a sniff lol.

My huskies are mental, the one with epilepsy eats EVERYTHING. One puked up a cloth the daft little shit. The other one doesn't give a fk, does his own thing, shits where he wants and knows he is the boss of the house haha.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah other than when they shit on your carpet, eat expensive furniture and demolish your dinner before you have had a sniff lol.

My huskies are mental, the one with epilepsy eats EVERYTHING. One puked up a cloth the daft little shit. The other one doesn't give a fk, does his own thing, shits where he wants and knows he is the boss of the house haha.

Haha awesome! Got your hands full there mate

23 hours ago, Vocey said:

We are looking at getting a daschaund (sausage dog) but are in two minds as we both work 9-5 so dog would be alone for a fair bit of the day. Anyone with experience of the breed know if this is fair at all?

It changes them being left - the only way I'd do it is if there was a shed in a garden open 9-5 with food, heat and somewhere to wander around - personally don't think its fair to have a dog because you want one without being able to provide an environment thats fair to the dog. I know its not what you want to hear but its cruel and the dog will be eventually grumpy and miserable.

Haha awesome! Got your hands full there mate

Just a bit. Started having to get up at 4.50 to give one of them his medication as his epilepsy normally kicks in between 5am and 5.30am which is very bizarre. Horrible to see and sometimes he has cluster fits which can be life threatening so trying to do everything I can to stop him from having any at all.

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just a bit. Started having to get up at 4.50 to give one of them his medication as his epilepsy normally kicks in between 5am and 5.30am which is very bizarre. Horrible to see and sometimes he has cluster fits which can be life threatening so trying to do everything I can to stop him from having any at all.

Yeah sorry hear about that can imagine its quite upsetting to see 

Are your dogs related to eachother?

Edited by sk3since03

53 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It changes them being left - the only way I'd do it is if there was a shed in a garden open 9-5 with food, heat and somewhere to wander around - personally don't think its fair to have a dog because you want one without being able to provide an environment thats fair to the dog. I know its not what you want to hear but its cruel and the dog will be eventually grumpy and miserable.

Hmmm that's odd. None of the dogs I've ever had have become grumpy and miserable despite being left for large periods at times. And that's various different breeds with differing personalities... Collies (Border & Welsh), Black Lab and Miniature Schnauzer. None of my friends dogs have been like that either.

When looked after well, raised properly and cared for as they deserve, they grow in to loving companions just fine, even being left for periods of time. It could easily be argued that spending constant time with them puts them in a bad place (as has unfortunately happened with someone I know-ish) who always babies them and never left them. Now they literally are unable to be left alone for all the crying etc and have abandonment issues. I'd say that's worse for a dog than it being left alone sometimes and gaining some independence, whilst also loving and respecting the owner.

EDIT: First, apologies for the rather snidey tone of the post. Secondly, I've made sure previously not to leave puppies alone 9-5 until I'm positive they'd be fine with it (mentally, physically and if outdoors, had all relevant vaccinations/injections). I'd always nip back from work at lunch and make sure an available friend could nip in mid-morning and mid afternoon to check up on the pup. As tough as it is, I'd also try as best I could to ignore the whimpers and crying in the night as they learn independence and to sleep by themselves. That's absolutely killer though :(

Edited by Darkon84
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

Yeah sorry hear about that can imagine its quite upsetting to see 

Are your dogs related to eachother?

Yep brothers from the same litter. Bizarre how different they are, the poorly one has a thinner coat and is skinnier as a result and more outgoing while the other is a ****ing tank that hates humans lol.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yep brothers from the same litter. Bizarre how different they are, the poorly one has a thinner coat and is skinnier as a result and more outgoing while the other is a ****ing tank that hates humans lol.

Yeah it's quite strange! You'd think they'd be pretty similar in personality as youve bought them up from the same litter! I suppose the one dog having the epilepsy plays a part! Maybe his brother is in some kind of protection mode for him 

Yeah it's quite strange! You'd think they'd be pretty similar in personality as youve bought them up from the same litter! I suppose the one dog having the epilepsy plays a part! Maybe his brother is in some kind of protection mode for him 

They have been different from day one. When I collected them the poorly one was outgoing and cheeky from the first second where as the other one was clinging to the breeder crying.

I can't have a dog because I work all over the country wherever there is suitable work to be had, but I love going for a walk with somebody else's dog.

One of the best moments was on a cold winter day when Peggy came out with a brand new coat in a fetching bright red Stewart tartan.

Peggy, a beagle cross, suddenly shot into a thicket and a few moments later came out again, in hot pursuit of a fox.

Without her brand new coat.

The fox dashed off and Peggy soon realised there was no point continuing the chase and came back to me.

I asked her if she was missing something. She disappeared back into the thicket and re-emerged a few seconds later with her coat!

2 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

I can't have a dog because I work all over the country wherever there is suitable work to be had, but I love going for a walk with somebody else's dog.

One of the best moments was on a cold winter day when Peggy came out with a brand new coat in a fetching bright red Stewart tartan.

Peggy, a beagle cross, suddenly shot into a thicket and a few moments later came out again, in hot pursuit of a fox.

Without her brand new coat.

The fox dashed off and Peggy soon realised there was no point continuing the chase and came back to me.

I asked her if she was missing something. She disappeared back into the thicket and re-emerged a few seconds later with her coat!

Hahah.

One of mine once found a dead rabbit and wouldn't come back to me. Poor guy thought he had killed it himself bless him lol.

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

They have been different from day one. When I collected them the poorly one was outgoing and cheeky from the first second where as the other one was clinging to the breeder crying.

Ah i see! Well they sound like great dogs anyway :)