Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

Anyone who runs away from a dog is asking for trouble. Mind you, dogs should be kept on a lead.

I saw a police dog released about five years ago, when we did a raid on a crack house. One geezer tried to leg it, despite a warning  from the handler. The bastard got what he deserved, and tried to fight the dog off. No contest, and he ended up in A&E, not that he deserved any treatment.

Decided to try one of my Mrs' Babybells last night (not worth it) and when I was chewing it my dog jumped onto the settee and started sniffing my lips. Nearly slapped the cheeky bugar round the face but decided to laugh it off.

My last encounter was about 6 months ago when for some obscure reason my gardener bought his horrible dog with him. As I walked round the side of the house this dog started off chasing me from about 20 yards. I managed to run back, but put my back out. Managed to pick up a small garden chair and battled the dog with it.

Gardener basically said it was my fault that his dog came bounding towards me.

The only thing worse than dogs are dog owners who let their dogs carry on like this.

If dogs were humans they would end up in court for they do.

Chasing you my ass! I bet it was jogging up for a fuss, and you decided to leg it because of dog fear lol

• 4 weeks later...

In a bit of a pickle - when we got our Labrador pup, the missus was working early shifts while I work normal hours so the dog has never been left for more than 5 hours at a time in the day. The missus has just been told that as of next week she'll be working 9-5 so the pup (6 months old) would be on her own for 8 hours a day. Don't suppose anyone knows of any dog-sitters/walkers/daycare in the LE4 area who don't charge too much? £10 a day 5 days a week is a massive unforseen expense for our situation, but I don't think it would be fair to leave a dog this young for 8 hours a day

Any help greatly appreciated

In a bit of a pickle - when we got our Labrador pup, the missus was working early shifts while I work normal hours so the dog has never been left for more than 5 hours at a time in the day. The missus has just been told that as of next week she'll be working 9-5 so the pup (6 months old) would be on her own for 8 hours a day. Don't suppose anyone knows of any dog-sitters/walkers/daycare in the LE4 area who don't charge too much? £10 a day 5 days a week is a massive unforseen expense for our situation, but I don't think it would be fair to leave a dog this young for 8 hours a day

Any help greatly appreciated

Leaving a pup for that long a day would be completely unfair. I agree. It will be an expense well spent. We have a dog aged two. She's never left for any longer than a couple of hours a day. Have you considered getting a second dog? Maybe one a bit older? He/she would provide company for the pup. That can sometimes work, not always. Just a thought. Edited by Col city fan

• 1 month later...

Didn't fancy the standard boerboel? You dog hipster.

Bordeaux a lot of money for a dog that only lives five years?

Quality boerboels are quite expensive here (especially 'exporting' to Lesotho), about $1,200 cheapest one I was quoted for was $700, but this bordeaux (whose dad has qualified for Cruft's three years in a row) is only $350.

I could get a mongrel boerboel, but then I am concerned about temperament. 

Boerboel was my first choice to be honest but budget dictates.

The short life span means I wont have to pay to fly it out of Africa when we return to the US/UK :)

Had a Cocker Spaniel called Sweep growing up. She was an amazing dog, so funny and full of love!

Unfortunately she got cancer and we had to put her down, we didn't even know until she started throwing up, it was an internal tumor that must have burst.

Can't wait to get another dog one day!

Can anyone give an estimate for the cost of having a Golden Retriever? The Mrs and my eldest son have been pestering me for a while. I've looked into costs of buying them and the initial cost is fine but not sure how much it would be on a monthly basis,having never owned a dog personally. I would love one but want to make sure I know what I'm doing. She has grown up with dogs and it would never be on its own for more than a couple of hours a day max.

Can anyone give an estimate for the cost of having a Golden Retriever? The Mrs and my eldest son have been pestering me for a while. I've looked into costs of buying them and the initial cost is fine but not sure how much it would be on a monthly basis,having never owned a dog personally. I would love one but want to make sure I know what I'm doing. She has grown up with dogs and it would never be on its own for more than a couple of hours a day max.

It's surprisingly little for most things, it's the pet insurance, training and daycare (if required) that can add up!

Initial injections, microchipping and spaying/neutering is about £150-£200 for the lot. We feed ours a quality food that is £35 per 15kg but each sack lasts 2 months, and probably 50p worth of treats a day. If you get the right toys (Kong branded, hard plastics) then they last for ages - soft/squeaky toys will generally get destroyed in seconds by a retriever, even a pup. Training is generally about £10 a session, if you need it.

At a guess I'd estimate that on average my Labrador costs £50-£60 per month too feed, insure and buy the day-to-day stuff for. Insurance does go up with age though, so best to do your research first

It's surprisingly little for most things, it's the pet insurance, training and daycare (if required) that can add up!

Initial injections, microchipping and spaying/neutering is about £150-£200 for the lot. We feed ours a quality food that is £35 per 15kg but each sack lasts 2 months, and probably 50p worth of treats a day. If you get the right toys (Kong branded, hard plastics) then they last for ages - soft/squeaky toys will generally get destroyed in seconds by a retriever, even a pup. Training is generally about £10 a session, if you need it.

At a guess I'd estimate that on average my Labrador costs £50-£60 per month too feed, insure and buy the day-to-day stuff for. Insurance does go up with age though, so best to do your research first

Cheers for that. Not as much as I'd thought to be honest. I'm very interested in getting one but I am the most indecisive person ever.

I am also very indecisive and like putting things off but the missus knew someone who'd just had a litter so we viewed at 4 weeks and picked up our pup 4 weeks later - I've never looked back! You have the occasional day when they're really young and mischievous where you think you've made a mistake but the pros outweigh the cons. As soon as I leave work now all I'm thinking is I can't wait to fuss the bitch!

Lost my beautiful golden Lab in December, so hard to lose ones best friend, I could never have another dog much to painful. Well, never is perhaps a little excessive, got a new best friend, Ben a rescued black Lab, beautiful boy. Loyal and affectionate as only Labs can be.