Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

I nearly killed a dog the other day: I'm travelling down a main road in a residential area and there were some people arriving for a family gathering parked up on the opposite pavement to the house.  This tiny lapdog goes running off into the road to meet them just as I'm passing at a solid 50 km/h with no time to brake, in fact I had to accelerate to avoid it obliviously scampering underneath my rear wheel.  Absolutely relieved it didn't happen - I've only had this car a few months and I don't want animal bits under the wheel arches. 

While out for a run the other day, I noticed one of my neighbours had some GSD pups.

So, putting my bad experience trying to get a dog in SA behind me, I picked one up a black male GSD.

2014-10-28.jpg

This is a pick of him with Kingston, the dog we've had for about 5 years now.

Are you 100% certain it is a dog this time? Could be a cat in a onesie.

• Like 1

I wish people would keep them on a lead - especially in parks. I speak as a dog owner too.

I was working near a park for a couple of years and often had my lunch on there. Quite often a loose dog would come sniffing around. 'He wants to say hello', or 'He won't hurt you', The owners would often say. Well, that's a relief then! But hang on: I don't want him poking his nose into my lunch either - as well as other places!

I wish people would keep them on a lead - especially in parks. I speak as a dog owner too.

I was working near a park for a couple of years and often had my lunch on there. Quite often a loose dog would come sniffing around. 'He wants to say hello', or 'He won't hurt you', The owners would often say. Well, that's a relief then! But hang on: I don't want him poking his nose into my lunch either - as well as other places!

I feel the same, but part of the problem is there are not enough dog parks around to train them to recall. Mine will recall no problem if there's no other distractions but if she spots another person or dog she makes a beeline for them. If she's off the lead now (and I only let her off if I'm 100% certain there are no other people about) I'm constantly keeping an eye out for others and will make sure she's on the lead before she's noticed anyone else around.

Some people just don't care though. I was walking through a park once on the way to a night out and out of nowhere this boxer came running up and jumped up at me. I knew he was being friendly but he got mud all down my shirt and trousers - I naturally was looking quite pissed off and the owner just shouted across the park "he's only being friendly". No apology. Had to walk a mile home to get changed before heading back out

Cats do this, why aren't cats on leads?

Went to the East Coast last week, two typical stories to tell.

On the phone to a customer, walking along the cliff then suddenly these two horrible smelly things started jumping up and barking. The owner comes over laughing, thinking I like to have these bloody horrible things jumping all over me. Told her quite abruptly that I thought she she have her muts put down.

Not an ideal situation when on the phone to a customer, but of course dog owners are oblivious.

The same day, back at the hotel, playing football on the lawns with my boy and two friends ge came across and this dog comes up and shits right in the middle of where we were playing. Told the owner that I would find out his room number and curl one out in the middle of his hotel room. The only saving grace was the bloke picked it up, and quite merrily wandered off swinging a bag of shit around.

Truly horrible things, both the dogs and their owners

On the phone to a customer, walking along the cliff then suddenly these two horrible smelly things started jumping up and barking. The owner comes over laughing, thinking I like to have these bloody horrible things jumping all over me. Told her quite abruptly that I thought she she have her muts put down.

Not an ideal situation when on the phone to a customer, but of course dog owners are oblivious.

The same day, back at the hotel, playing football on the lawns with my boy and two friends ge came across and this dog comes up and shits right in the middle of where we were playing. Told the owner that I would find out his room number and curl one out in the middle of his hotel room. The only saving grace was the bloke picked it up, and quite merrily wandered off swinging a bag of shit around.

I once had some random dog grab my jumper which was serving as a goalpost at the time and start chewing away on it.  The chavvy lady who owned it could only muster her voice to complain about me trying too aggressively to reclaim my property from its slimy maw as though I should be grateful that she's so awful at looking after her dog it thinks my clothes are a toy.  Some dog owners are truly oblivious.

Cats do this, why aren't cats on leads?

Because they don't do this.  When have you ever felt like you've been truly inconvenienced, felt threatened even, by the presence of a cat curiously checking you out?

Haha brilliant!

Lost my beautiful golden Lab in December, so hard to lose ones best friend, I could never have another dog much to painful. Well, never is perhaps a little excessive, got a new best friend, Ben a rescued black Lab, beautiful boy. Loyal and affectionate as only Labs can be.

I know the feeling, lost my black lab in July, truly horrible. My best friend for 15 years

Because they don't do this. When have you ever felt like you've been truly inconvenienced, felt threatened even, by the presence of a cat curiously checking you out?

I haven't been inconvenienced or threatened by a cat, but then neither have I by a dog, I guess im just not that precious. I've had cats shit in my garden and come and sit on my lap when on a park bench, im just curious as to why they aren't getting all the bad feelings.

I haven't been inconvenienced or threatened by a cat, but then neither have I by a dog, I guess im just not that precious. I've had cats shit in my garden and come and sit on my lap when on a park bench, im just curious as to why they aren't getting all the bad feelings.

Did the cat disturb you when it sat on your lap?  If so why didn't you shoo it off?

I'm sorry you think that not appreciating your jumper being shredded by a stranger's dog as you try to wrestle it away is 'precious', I genuinely thought it was self evident that this is a higher level of harassment than you're ever likely to experience from a household cat.  Still do.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but it is a fact that they require a much more stringent level of supervision than cats.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've finally taken the plunge! I envisaged getting some horrible, scruffy neanderthal but in reality i've ended up with a very sweet 12 week old Labrador Retriever. She's a little nervous but seems to be good as gold. I hope this ruins Rob's week. :D

Excellent stuff! What colour? Ours was a right nutter at 12 weeks old but they learn quickly with training

Excellent stuff! What colour? Ours was a right nutter at 12 weeks old but they learn quickly with training

Sand/golden pal. She seems quite shy but is getting used to the house now. She seems very advanced toilet training wise, I'm amazed. Hopefully the start of a great bond. She's incredible.

Sand/golden pal. She seems quite shy but is getting used to the house now. She seems very advanced toilet training wise, I'm amazed. Hopefully the start of a great bond. She's incredible.

Sweet. Yeah they take a week to 10 days to get acclimatised (can be really shy during this period), then they'll really test your patience for a few days while they see what they can get away with before being disciplined!

Think we must have done something right as our labrador isn't far off a year old now and has never damaged any of our furniture/clothes/electricals or gone in any cupboards, just make they sure they have toys around at all times or they'll make their own fun at your expense

If I could afford the time, I'd love to go for a Dalmatian.

My parents used to have one when I was younger, and I really loved it to pieces. Great breed, albeit prone to joint issues.

In any case, I'd steer well clear of long-haired dogs, as it's messier (and the fur stinks more easily).