Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

3 of the top 6 threads on here are about booze, good work.

I’m still being boring and not drinking which is a shambles considering the amount of nice beer I’ve got in the house.

I have to admire your self control. I had a very nice single malt for Christmas which I intended to savour over several weeks. Gone by New Years day!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I have to admire your self control. I had a very nice single malt for Christmas which I intended to savour over several weeks. Gone by New Years day!

I’ve got 2 works do’s and 3 nights in Tenerife in the next 2 weeks so it won’t last.

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

The Swan and Rushes is back up for sale. 

Not really surprised given it’s current set up, boring beer and boring decor. Very souless.

You think wall decals with "It's 5 o'clock somewhere!" or "Prosecco is the answer to every question!" are soulless? 

It's mad how shit they've managed to make it.

On 10/01/2020 at 16:23, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

You could even nip in the Font before it became some naff karaoke bar.

Font used to be superb. The way I come in, Criterion > Font > ground was my go to before a game. 

The state of it now is just depressing. Not quite sure how something that awful actually started up on a uni campus. 

Twiddling thumbs waiting for Criterion to be back. Should be about ready by now? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

Anyone ever been to the Royal Oak? I'd imagine it's rough as most pubs over that way are

I assume you mean the one on Belgrave Gate and not Kirby Muxloe? lol 

I went in once quite a while ago and I didn’t think it was too bad to be honest. But i’d been on a bit of a bender so my judgement may be clouded...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Font used to be superb. The way I come in, Criterion > Font > ground was my go to before a game. 

The state of it now is just depressing. Not quite sure how something that awful actually started up on a uni campus. 

Twiddling thumbs waiting for Criterion to be back. Should be about ready by now? 

Madness isn't it. Pretty cool set up with a friendly vibe, good beer and great food to a sad out of place karaoke bar with a Elvis figure in the doorway.

How it went under I will never know, places like that drive in similar sized cities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

same gaffer/decor etc as Crows Nest. 
It works at Crowies but can't imagine it does in studentville. 

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

Anyone ever been to the Royal Oak? I'd imagine it's rough as most pubs over that way are

Never been in there but I have been in the Royal Standard on Charles St a couple of times, perfectly fine tbh.

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

4 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Madness isn't it. Pretty cool set up with a friendly vibe, good beer and great food to a sad out of place karaoke bar with a Elvis figure in the doorway.

How it went under I will never know, places like that drive in similar sized cities.

A few of us used to go in in the week because it did bloody lovely burgers, but on a Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday, even in term time, there'd be no bugger in there. I don't think it ever "reached out" enough to NHS staff or students, which is daft considering it's location. Doesn't help that by and large, the student population of Leicester appear to be hermits.

It wasn't even quite the same when it turned into the Gate for a few months, decor essentially the same but what minor things they had done gave it a naff gloss.

9 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

same gaffer/decor etc as Crows Nest. 
It works at Crowies but can't imagine it does in studentville. 

I think he does well by having a steady core of folk that come in at times when the Font didn't - I dare say he's doing a better trade.

29 minutes ago, Uncle knobhead said:

That is the only pub that way lol apart from a handful dotted about pubs are gone in Leicester 

As in Humberstone gate way, went into the Hansom Cab once and it felt like I’d walked into a Wild West saloon 

On 18/01/2020 at 02:04, TheLittleBigMan said:

Anyone hear that the Western is closing? Keep hearing steaming billy has sacked it off and everads are turning it in to a cafe or some sh*t. Horrible rumours. 

Will be gutted if that's the case. Has been our pre-match pub for years. 

12 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:
On 18/01/2020 at 02:04, TheLittleBigMan said:

Anyone hear that the Western is closing? Keep hearing steaming billy has sacked it off and everads are turning it in to a cafe or some sh*t. Horrible rumours. 

Will be gutted if that's the case. Has been our pre-match pub for years. 

This just in... Steaming Billy won't be renewing the lease which I think runs out in June. I've been a local there for many years and I did wonder why billy was letting the Western go down the drain a bit. The last 2-3 yrs it's been on the slide. As it turns out Billy wants out and as far as we know that pr*k Jamie Lewis and the code buildings will likely buy it off Everads and either knock it down or turn it in to a student pub. 

And to think, all this is happening to a registered community asset. It all smells like bullsh*t to me. I certainly won't be stepping foot in to a billy pub again.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Examples of areas that, over the past five years, have become run down please.

Humberstone gate, Belgrave gate (you'll probably reference the improved of Haymarket bus Station, however there are more homeless people around there than I used too see 5 years ago), market place is a dive.