Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

4 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Humberstone gate, Belgrave gate (you'll probably reference the improved of Haymarket bus Station, however there are more homeless people around there than I used too see 5 years ago), market place is a dive. 

I wouldn't say any of those are considerably worse than they were five years ago tbh.

2 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Subjective. I'd also say the amount of homeless has increased dramatically.

What's happened on Humberstone Gate over the past five years to significantly worsen it? I'd argue that that area, if anything, is getting a little better - the cultural quarter and the Phoenix having a bit of an effect on it.

Homelessness isn't an issue specific to Leicester though. I live in the middle of Nottingham and it's worse here, considerably so - and Birmingham is insane for it.

6 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Subjective. I'd also say the amount of homeless has increased dramatically.

Also the Market Place is loads better than it was five years ago, still needs work / finishing but the way the city has tried to link it to Greyfriars via the back of the Knight and Garter with that open space is commendable.

Fair enough to say this is subjective but if I were to walk around Leicester five years ago in comparison to now, I know which I'd prefer.

On 22/01/2020 at 11:58, Ollie93 said:

Humberstone gate, Belgrave gate (you'll probably reference the improved of Haymarket bus Station, however there are more homeless people around there than I used too see 5 years ago), market place is a dive. 

Humberstone Gate and Belgrave Gate have always been the rough ends of town - even back when I was a kid. 

Market Place is getting better - the actual square ain't been a bad idea when they events on (of which I know there is at least 1 every month) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

15 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I used to work here when it was a proper pub, didn't go in when it got new owners and a refurb. Hope it stays as a pub/bar in some capacity 

Up until just after we won the league, the Richard the third was one of the best / last "proper" pubs in town.

Decent range of Everards, Pool table, couple of dart boards, Football pennants hanging from ever available ceiling space, "Bobs cobs" at £1 each & friendly punters.

I didn't even mind the Villa colours behind the bar!!

All now gone. The "Posh food" idea really has not worked at all.

2 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Up until just after we won the league, the Richard the third was one of the best / last "proper" pubs in town.

Decent range of Everards, Pool table, couple of dart boards, Football pennants hanging from ever available ceiling space, "Bobs cobs" at £1 each & friendly punters.

'Beas Cobs' get it right mate lol

The cheese and onion cobs were unreal

On 18/01/2020 at 17:07, Stadt said:

As in Humberstone gate way, went into the Hansom Cab once and it felt like I’d walked into a Wild West saloon 

If you think that's bad walk across the road and go on The Fountain lol You can get a kicking for doing one of local songs on the karaoke.

Agree with everyone on the Richard III as well, was a fantastic little boozer - a pub that never should have been ponced up.

16 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I used to work here when it was a proper pub, didn't go in when it got new owners and a refurb. Hope it stays as a pub/bar in some capacity 

I have fond memories of The Dickie Three.

Whenever I'd return to Leicester my mate would take me there to play dominoes or cards with an ex army friend and his sons. Ex Tigers player, Rob Tebbutt, would often be in the group. They would meet up about once a month, start about seven, leave around nine then go for a curry across the road.

The landlord and his wife were great, I remember him telling me the place was haunted. One story went that someone had gone to back end of the pub to use the toilet and when he happened to look in the mirror, he saw someone standing behind him yet he was alone. As you can imagine, I was always thinking about this when I needed a pee.

Edited by Smudge

15 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I have fond memories of The Dickie Three.

Whenever I'd return to Leicester my mate would take me there to play dominoes or cards with an ex army friend and his sons. Ex Tigers player, Rob Tebbutt, would often be in the group. They would meet up about once a month, start about seven, leave around nine then go for a curry across the road.

The landlord and his wife were great, I remember him telling me the place was haunted. One story went that someone had gone to back end of the pub to use the toilet and when he happened to look in the mirror, he saw someone standing behind him yet he was alone. As you can imagine, I was always thinking about this when I needed a pee.

I heard this happened in the Dover Castle too :ph34r:

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

Bob cobs? Surely some middle ground needed from that to gastropub grub.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bob cobs? Surely some middle ground needed from that to gastropub grub.

Bobs cobs were the bollox. The fillings were massive. A Cheese & onion cob would keep hunger at bay for hours, albeit with slightly niffy breath.

Made you drink more, which was the whole point.

22 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Bobs cobs were the bollox. The fillings were massive. A Cheese & onion cob would keep hunger at bay for hours, albeit with slightly niffy breath.

Made you drink more, which was the whole point.

I bought a cheese and onion cob in a canal side pub years back. It was served to me by a bloke who looked like he was out of the Flying Pickets and was more the bollox than I would’ve liked. There was a thick curly black pube right on the cheese

:revenge:

Edited by Mike Oxlong