Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Anybody venture into town yesterday?  Is it worth the effort and is it easy enough to get a table. I’m supposed to be meeting a couple of mates next week and can’t help thinking I’d be better staying local where I know I’d get in okay than to travel into town and not no whether places will be full. 

Tried that Lane7 last night as a couple friends booked and asked me. Had a gaze inside and it looks like a decent gaffe but as it is it wasn’t the best night. Choice of Coors or Carling Dark Fruits on draft and a couple bottled choices, they had an issue with the system as well halfway through which seemingly wiped a load of drink and some food orders on our table, lad was waiting 2 and a half hours for a burger before he just asked for a refund lol 

Once the actual venues open in May I’ll give it another go but as it is I won’t bother until then, money better spent going to a pub who needs the cash. 

54 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

Anybody venture into town yesterday?  Is it worth the effort and is it easy enough to get a table. I’m supposed to be meeting a couple of mates next week and can’t help thinking I’d be better staying local where I know I’d get in okay than to travel into town and not no whether places will be full. 

Went to Apres Lounge on Thursday. Just walked in with no booking although The Tree was fully booked for weeks apparently.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Tried that Lane7 last night as a couple friends booked and asked me. Had a gaze inside and it looks like a decent gaffe but as it is it wasn’t the best night. Choice of Coors or Carling Dark Fruits on draft and a couple bottled choices, they had an issue with the system as well halfway through which seemingly wiped a load of drink and some food orders on our table, lad was waiting 2 and a half hours for a burger before he just asked for a refund lol 

Once the actual venues open in May I’ll give it another go but as it is I won’t bother until then, money better spent going to a pub who needs the cash. 

Also went last night. Drinks choice was terrible

very little social distancing control (table of 12 sat behind us). First drink took ages to arrive so ordered another straight away to avoid delay and it turns up within minutes. 
my daughters had a table at 930 and had to queue ages to get it. Then they left after about 40 mins as the app wouldn’t let them order. 
also closed at 11 despite advertising as open til late. 
can imagine if it rains everyone will pile under the covers and nobody will control it 

I know it’s not easy right now but they seem to have managed really badly last night 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Also went last night. Drinks choice was terrible

very little social distancing control (table of 12 sat behind us). First drink took ages to arrive so ordered another straight away to avoid delay and it turns up within minutes. 
my daughters had a table at 930 and had to queue ages to get it. Then they left after about 40 mins as the app wouldn’t let them order. 
also closed at 11 despite advertising as open til late. 
can imagine if it rains everyone will pile under the covers and nobody will control it 

I know it’s not easy right now but they seem to have managed really badly last night 

Forgot about the waiting times lol yeah we got into the habit of doubling up on orders to save ourselves the wait. A very poor first Friday really. 

I trust it’ll be much better when the real meat and potatoes of the place are opened in May though. 

Been a few boozers since the reopening. Mixed bag of 'oh you've really put the work in readying up for opening, it looks great and yes I would like a drink' and 'is this your first shift as a pub? Just bring me a ****ing drink and I'll give you money. I don't need an app. Needless, needless extra step.'

Why pubs are obsessed with using an app to order is absolutely baffling. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Been a few boozers since the reopening. Mixed bag of 'oh you've really put the work in readying up for opening, it looks great and yes I would like a drink' and 'is this your first shift as a pub? Just bring me a ****ing drink and I'll give you money. I don't need an app. Needless, needless extra step.'

I'm loving app ordering! You don't have to speak to a hassled, run off their feet often inexperienced bar tender, who will probably end up getting your order wrong and your drink usually comes a lot quicker. Perfect. 

55 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I'm loving app ordering! You don't have to speak to a hassled, run off their feet often inexperienced bar tender, who will probably end up getting your order wrong and your drink usually comes a lot quicker. Perfect. 

I've only found it a hindrance. It might be the implementation of it. The spoons App has always been bang on perfect. 

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I don't think it is. They're likely to be very busy and a good few pubs with outdoor spaces cover a fair bit of ground. Having an app / online ordering system you can do from your table means you don't have to hope to catch someone's eye, or wait until they're doing a sweep of an area. Ask anyone that works behind a bar and I guarantee they'll tell you it helps their staff no end at the moment.

It really isn't a huge inconvenience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

That is an absolute joke I wouldn’t be adverse to pubs taking deposits for bookings. No shows are scum imo.

I agree. Its a huge problem for both pubs and restaurants. Especially at the moment when space is so restricted. 

I like what one of the brewers round my way, Lost and Grounded, are doing at their tap. You pay £30 to book a table and that acts as your tab. No time wasters and still fully booked out. Perfect 

14 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I agree. Its a huge problem for both pubs and restaurants. Especially at the moment when space is so restricted. 

I like what one of the brewers round my way, Lost and Grounded, are doing at their tap. You pay £30 to book a table and that acts as your tab. No time wasters and still fully booked out. Perfect 

Yeah I saw Neon Raptor in Nottingham are doing similar at their taproom. Best way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 10:30, Costock_Fox said:

Went to Apres Lounge on Thursday. Just walked in with no booking although The Tree was fully booked for weeks apparently.

My mates queued here for almost 2 hours on Friday before being told they weren't being allowed in. The sane couple of us decided to leave after 25 minutes as we knew we weren't getting in. They were meant to open at 3pm but still hadn't opened at 5pm, shocking, they won't ever get a penny off me again.

Wygston House was very nice, didn't manage to try Lane7, but it looks good in there, should be class for the Euros.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal