Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

You ever had old original? 

Actually yes. Been a while since but that was decent TBF. Not seen it in many pubs but then I've not been out much. 

Personally my beer of choice is draught Pedigree or a decent Porter, either bottle or (preferably) draught. 

Hadn’t been pubbing in Leicester properly for ages (tried to get into The Salmon in April but was full capacity) but managed to get to the Old Horse in Leicester for a couple on Wednesday to catch up with a couple mates. Decent beer selection, would be great to sit out the front on a summer weekend overlooking Vicky Park and have a proper session. 

• Like 1

Ventured back to lane 7 last night after a few earlier attempts which were most memorable for shambles of a service

very quiet and the place indoors is impressive

ordered a round to then be told some of the drinks weren’t available 🤷🏻‍♂️
them the bringing drinks one at a time started again

they are in serious risk of alienating customers before they get up and running properly 

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Tonne doesn’t seem to be reopening either strangely 

Yeah despite being quite vocal that they were going to share outdoor space with Crafty/St Martins. 

The Landsdowne when I walked past two weeks looked stripped out. I got told the building itself was sold 

On 28/05/2021 at 22:33, Soup said:

Black Horse down Braunstone Gate is my local at the moment. Such a lovely place. Tonight felt like old times almost. Lovely pints of Tiger as well 

Good to hear it felt like old times because it hasn't for years. Apologies for sounding like an old duffer (which I am) but it

was a quirky cracking pub with many interesting, eccentric locals for many years, then they ditched the pool table, dartboard & jukebox & old panelling & it became an identikit real ale venue.

Anyone remember Stuart & Pauline who ran it from the late 90's early 00's, Great old school owners.

Sorry when meant old times I was talking about before to the lockdown. The smell of the place,, people's voices echoing around was lovely compared to my living room.

But you're right it's not the same as it used to be. I'd use it fairly regularly about 15 years ago but then moved near Queens Rd and probably went 2/3 times a year. Is there anywhere in Leicester that's got better over time? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Good to hear it felt like old times because it hasn't for years. Apologies for sounding like an old duffer (which I am) but it

was a quirky cracking pub with many interesting, eccentric locals for many years, then they ditched the pool table, dartboard & jukebox & old panelling & it became an identikit real ale venue.

Anyone remember Stuart & Pauline who ran it from the late 90's early 00's, Great old school owners.

Used to go there late 80s/early 90's. Decent boozer in those days with an interesting clientele, as you say. Live music regularly, and a pretty dynamic atmosphere at times. 

Seems a shame if they've real-aled the life out of it. Happens to so many, though. The all-pervasive blandness of the 21st Century. 

• Like 1

Went to Everard meadows earlier, decent enough. Lager was nice but a bit peculiar, unpasteurised so it was really hazy - it was somewhere between a lager, golden ale and a cider. A bit like a beery orangina. Feels sessionable but it becomes apparent it’s not lol 

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Went to Everard meadows earlier, decent enough. Lager was nice but a bit peculiar, unpasteurised so it was really hazy - it was somewhere between a lager, golden ale and a cider. A bit like a beery orangina. Feels sessionable but it becomes apparent it’s not lol 

Did you eat there? I’m booked in for Friday night

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Did you eat there? I’m booked in for Friday night

Yeah had a burger, was nice - menu is maybe a tiny bit overpriced but it’s the same everywhere now.

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

From what I’ve seen the setting makes up for the prices etc. Is it as nice as the photos make it look?

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2021 at 14:13, boots60 said:

Long live The Tudor 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bert said:

Long live The Tudor 

Now you're talking. My (& yours) local for the best part of 2 decades.

Proper friendly pub, I have made many lifelong friends from the Tudor. Pubs like the Tudor are disappearing at an alarming rate which is a crying shame as the old "Corner local" was a staple of our society until very recently but hey ho times & habits change & old feckers like myself have to at least attempt to change with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Proper friendly pub, I have made many lifelong friends from the Tudor. Pubs like the Tudor are disappearing at an alarming rate which is a crying shame as the old "Corner local" was a staple of our society until very recently but hey ho times & habits change & old feckers like myself have to at least attempt to change with them.

What a place mate. Would give anything for one last night in there with everyone that made it a great place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boots60 said:

Great attitude to life, refreshing to hear!