Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Attacking football - what happened?

For the period after CP's appointment we were playing good football and scoring goals. We looked a good side and we were joking about Puel's boring tag from Southampton fans...

We now look a much different side. We pass around without purpose and the number of good chances we create seems to decreasing each week. 

What happened? Is this the real Puel?

Boring Puel happened.

This reminds me of the Matt Mills situation, Reading fans said he was shit yet we didn't believe them, they ended up being right.

Southampton fans said Puel was shit and boring, we thought he can't be that bad, way we're playing right now they are exactly right.

• Like 1

Vardy is being nullified. He didnt even have a shot this game. Other than Mahrez we dont have the players capable of playing him in against teams not giving him space. Well we have one but he is on the bench. 

We loaned out our plan B players so I think we have kind of ran out of ideas and come up against teams fighting for survival. Ends up just being brainless Albrighton crosses that the opposition keepers easily deal with or push into their own goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Corky said:

I don't think it was a great performance today but we had 19 attempts, 9 on target and won a ridiculous amount of corners. To me, the issue was that we didn't make enough use of the set-pieces we had and that the tempo only changed when Simpson was replaced and Albrighton got forward with Mahrez.

We do need to be quicker with the ball but the lack of quality from free-kicks and corners was as much a factor in us failing to win.

I find it difficult to concentrate on a Puel Interview, but post-match he pretty much said this himself

Has to be said, he had excuses for doing it at Southampton, and I accepted them, it was a reasonable course of action in the circumstances.

He doesn't have those excuses now so I'm not sure at all why we're being served up this dog muck. Best case scenario he's realised half of our squad are shite so he's riding out the season so they can all be binned. But then I remember we've got big Johnny Rudkin doing the deals to replace them....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The media seem to think that Leicester have 'moved on' an that we've added more variety to our gameplay.

i don’t think we have. I think we’re still one-dimensional. But whereas before our play was based on quick brakes, now it seems we’re incapable of breaking quickly. Far too many pointless touches, sideways passes, players thinking holding the ball without progressing up the pitch has some value.

Most times we take so long to get the ball forward, the opposition is fully set up with eleven men behind the ball.

And we create so many problems for ourselves trying to play the ball out of defence when we clearly don’t have the quality of players to do this. How many times do we give the ball away in dangerous positions? We’re letting teams do to us what we excelled at just two seasons ago.

23 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Has to be said, he had excuses for doing it at Southampton, and I accepted them, it was a reasonable course of action in the circumstances.

He doesn't have those excuses now so I'm not sure at all why we're being served up this dog muck. Best case scenario he's realised half of our squad are shite so he's riding out the season so they can all be binned. But then I remember we've got big Johnny Rudkin doing the deals to replace them....

We'll sell Iborra and get in Cattermole to partner Papy Mendy.

Really does feel like the club just goes in circles. At the start of ranieris rein we played fast exciting football and then towards the end we became more and more one dimensional to the point where we didnt seem to have a recognizable tactic. The same happened with shakespeare and it looks to be going that way now with claude.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

I don't think it was a great performance today but we had 19 attempts, 9 on target and won a ridiculous amount of corners. To me, the issue was that we didn't make enough use of the set-pieces we had and that the tempo only changed when Simpson was replaced and Albrighton got forward with Mahrez.

We do need to be quicker with the ball but the lack of quality from free-kicks and corners was as much a factor in us failing to win.

'Failing to win' isn't the issue for me though. I was happy enough with the 2nd half performance, but the first half was a total waste of everyone's time. And, for those obsessed with results, we probably would have won the match if our second half display had lasted the full 90 minutes.

It's all very well being a goal down against a poor side and then throwing caution to the wind, but what makes Puel so negative and such a coward is most of the time he's not interested in doing this at 0-0, or at 1-0 up. The fans deserve a team that is commited to scoring goals and winning football matches.

What we're actually seeing is a team waiting for something to happen most of the time, even (especially, in fact) against teams that don't have the quality of individuals that we have. It's like it's too much of a risk to actually push men forward and play with intensity and a belief that we can outscore the opposition. This is the same inexplicable attitude that has led to infamous bad runs and eventually sackings: Pearson's 99 days without a win in 2014 (and the continued bad run until April 2015), Ranieri's decline last season, and Shakespeare's terrible attempts from April - October (not to mention his forfeit of our Champions League quarter-final).

Like Shakespeare, and unlike Pearson and Ranieri, Puel has not earned any slack to win him the popular vote, so when that bad run inevitably comes I see no reason why he should be treated any more favourably than his predecessors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As for us being entertaining early on in his reign, I don't particularly agree. Like now, there was the odd performance which filled me with a bit of hope, that was then dashed in the following match when it was clear we weren't sticking to a positive philosophy.

In fact, like now, I distinctly remember coming away from almost every match thinking 'for some of that game we played some really good stuff, so why were we so negative in the other half?'. Spurs at home was a perfect example - mullered them first half, did nothing in the second half and struggled - all due to a negative 'take what we've got' attitude. But that was still one of our better performances this season.

Looking back at the league games, I think Southampton and Chelsea away (perhaps Burnley at home which I missed) are the only ones under Puel where we've put a good, positive performance in for more than 45 minutes. In others we've either started well and then taken our foot off the gas, sprung into action with half and hour to go, or been passive and dull throughout.

There have been some matches this season where we've actually won and yet I and the people I've watched them with have barely got any pleasure out of it because we're a team that plays with no ambition anymore.

Much like Shakespeare, Puel doesn't have a philosophy (or even a formation) for this team that he sticks to from match to match and that's a real flaw. That was what was noticeable from an early stage with Puel, he doesn't have a specific formula for scoring goals and winning matches so how can we expected to consistently do it?

maybe a team like Stoke sitting back very defensively has a part to play.

I don't think we've lost much attacking intent. We still attack with numbers but then it's just made more difficult when teams only have the focus of defending or playing for a point - we find it very difficult to break teams down and this is something that needs to be rectified. The Plan B, so to speak. 

• Like 3

I think people are over reacting a little.

we had what, close to 20 shots? hit the bar 3 times? Butland pulled a great save to deny Mahrez and some last gasp defending from Indi.

We were unlucky. But I still don't understand why James was picked over Iborra or Silva.

Yeah, we had chances. The problem is that all of them came when we were chasing the game, running out of time and getting desperate. They had the worst defensive record and worst away record in the league- if we had played with some intent from the start, we would have stuck 4 past them.

29 minutes ago, Guybino said:

I think people are over reacting a little.

we had what, close to 20 shots? hit the bar 3 times? Butland pulled a great save to deny Mahrez and some last gasp defending from Indi.

We were unlucky. But I still don't understand why James was picked over Iborra or Silva.

Agree. We had ample 2nd half chances to win at a canter. Problem yesterday was terrible 1st half, gave them something to cling on to.

4 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Yeah, we had chances. The problem is that all of them came when we were chasing the game, running out of time and getting desperate. They had the worst defensive record and worst away record in the league- if we had played with some intent from the start, we would have stuck 4 past them.

we did for about 5 minutes then let them back in to the game.