Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

For once I don’t feel strongly to either side of the arguement. Both sides have reasonable arguements to support their stance. I won’t be outraged if he gets the summer to build his own squad and see how we start next season. Likewise if the owners don’t feel he’s the right man I’d be happy to see us bring somebody new in. 

Basically I’m sitting firmly on the fence lol

I'll join you on that fence!

I think he's probably warranted another 6 months and the opportunity to build his own team. We definitely under performed this season given our squad, but in the last two games the players have shown that they are willing to play for him. After Palace 5-0 I thought they'd thrown in the towel and wanted him out, but it doesn't seem that way. 9th isn't a bad finish and we were safe from relegation for a while. And we made it to the quarters of both cups.

At the same time, the boring and unambitious football we've played at home many times and dropped points has been poor. We dropped points to Stoke, Swansea and West Brom at home, all of whom went down. Palace (PALACE!!!!) beat us 8-0 on aggregate with Roy "Got beat by Iceland" Hodgson in charge. Some of our displays were truly dire at times. And most damning of all was the booing and fan walk out in the West Ham home game. Usually I say "get behind the team" but to be fair, those that left had every right to do so and were voting with their feet.

I can see it going either way.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Let's look at it this way, apparently the squad he inherited was good enough to walk 7th in the eyes of some, despite an awful start and him coming in late.

So, if we do the same again next season and sack Puel after a poor start, then that manager can walk they top 8 still. ;)

23 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You should read my posts more often and stop exaggerating - I have put blame on the players and management (recruitment) before, my assessment of this season isn't as one-sided as some may want to make it out.

I read you every day and I cannot remember one recently when you haven’t had a go at Puel at least once. 

For someone so erudite and intelligent you appear to have joined the ranks of the constant moaners and regular WUMs. It’s a shame imo. 

• Like 2

If he does end up staying at least the last 2 games give us some hope for next season. 

With the players we have, and a few good additions we could do well next season. 

However if he was sacked I wouldn't be too disheartened either. But ideally I'd like a bit of stability after the last few years.

I'm not sure if he is he right man for that, before the last 2 games and the form we was in I would have said he wasn't. 

Tough call for the owners, but I believe in them and will back them whatever the outcome. 

At least we can have some optimism going into next season. 

8 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I read you every day and I cannot remember one recently when you haven’t had a go at Puel at least once. 

For someone so erudite and intelligent you appear to have joined the ranks of the constant moaners and regular WUMs. It’s a shame imo. 

I'm trying to be as sensible as I can be, but the constant chopping and changing and managerial decisions (not only on Puel's behalf) in the past two years have maybe taken their toll.

It's just become a bit difficult to motivate myself to be optimistic these days, because up until the league title, we always had something to aspire to. Even if we failed, the eight odd years before 2015/2016 generally offered some of the best football and most memorable moments ever in the history of this club.

I know it's a difficult task to follow up on a PL title (and Champions League football), to me it seems as if we've made a hash of it on multiple levels.

My hope is we're going into next season with a more concise gameplan, build on a solid back four, play to our players' strengths more often, create a reliable and more influenatial midfield four, use the Iheanacho and Vardy combo up front and take it from there.

I've stuck with the club for 20+ years, and I surely won't give up now.

Who knows what next season has in store for us? Maybe finally getting the hands on a cup trophy again?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

The Palace and West Ham games really got me and thought he had lost the team however the last two games seems to disprove that. Our history over the last 50 or so years suggests this has been one of the better seasons whatever people  may say and 2 decent cup runs. They say Puel impressed in the interview but pretty sure nobody on here was privy to the interview. Maybe he got the job based on the promise to keep us up with a top half finish with the idea to move on plenty from the squad he inherited. He seems to have identified those to move on but did not fancy what was on offer in Jan as he spent precious little. Whatever the club decides the manager needs 100% backing

Today, like Wednesday, changes little for me.

Spurs allowed us to counter and were shoddy defensively. We’ve always thrived in those conditions, almost entirely down to the fact we have Vardy and Mahrez.

Matches like these final two are not the issue.

He is still one bad performance away from the polls being back to 90% for him to leave and the toxicity returning. Let’s not go into a very important season with that hanging over us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

I'm trying to be as sensible as I can be, but the constant chopping and changing and managerial decisions (not only on Puel's behalf) in the past two years have maybe taken their toll.

It's just become a bit difficult to motivate myself to be optimistic these days, because up until the league title, we always had something to aspire to. Even if we failed, the eight odd years before 2015/2016 were generally some of the best football and most memorable moments ever in the history of this club.

I know it's a difficult task to follow up on a PL title, to me it seems as if we've made a hash of it on multiple levels.

My hope is we're going into next season with a more concise gameplan, build on a solid back four, create a reliable and more influenatial midfield four, use Iheanacho and Vardy combo up front and take it from there.

I've stuck with the club for 20+ years, and I surely won't give up now.

Who knows what next season has in store for us? Maybe finally getting the hands on a cup trophy again?

That’s better. Back to your old self. Agree with you completely mate. 

4 minutes ago, the messenger said:

My opinion pal seems your the idiot who will put up with dross football.

9th is the third highest we have ever finished in the Prem, that by any measure is not a failure, feel free to go back to being an armchair fan of which ever top 6 side you used to be a "fan" of

Edited by Jimmy

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Today, like Wednesday, changes little for me.

Spurs allowed us to counter and were shoddy defensively. We’ve always thrived in those conditions, almost entirely down to the fact we have Vardy and Mahrez.

Matches like these final two are not the issue.

He is still one bad performance away from the polls being back to 90% for him to leave and the toxicity returning. Let’s not go into a very important season with that hanging over us.

So does the toxicity come down to the fans or Puel? I feel it started with Puel but now it’s down to the fans.

I think at this point, giving Puel the summer spend is probably less risky than giving it to a random new manager with no time to assess the squad. Puel or a new manager both have a similar chance of things going completely downhill (or not) next season. If we lose Mahrez and dip into the relegation zone, I think it will hurt the ego of these lot enough to get a response and climb out of it quickly. Sacking whoever is at the helm should only happen if the players are no longer capable of this response and we get in real danger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

9th is the second highest we have ever finished in the Prem, that by any measure is not a failure, feel free to go back to being an armchair fan of which ever top 6 side you used to be a "fan" of

Actually the 3rd best finish had an 8th under Mon but you are not wrong top half finishes in the premiership are not that usual, something to build on whoever manages the team

Just now, katieakita said:

Actually the 3rd best finish had an 8th under Mon but you are not wrong top half finishes in the premiership are not that usual, something to build on whoever manages the team

yeah I had a feeling I'd missed an Mo'n season so jhust double checked and we finished 8th under him once

Edited by Jimmy

38 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

if ninth in the premier league is a failure to you you are an idiot

Typical institutionalized Leicester fan.

2 Cup quarter finals pissed up the wall and letting not just Burnley but Everton as well pass you by in a shocking league is pathetic.

• Like 1

One of the reasons to keep Puel is if we get another manager we have to endure another sesson with some of the players we know aren't good enough anymore. The new manager will give everyone a new slate to players we already know should be moved on. Puel has already binned Ulloa, King, Musa etc and he now knows who else he needs to bin off and which area needs recruiting.

• Like 2