Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I'm worried that some people are hoping we fail just so that Puel gets fired.

Or perhaps they just want best for the club and can't see it under Puel...It's called having an opinion, if he turns out to be successful and not bore us to tears (On which we're basing these doubts on) we'll be more than happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

I really HOPE I am wrong and the lads have a great season. I love football for the different opinions fans have, We are all supporters of Leicester City  first and last. I have been watching the lads for over 45 years through thick and thin and will always do so BUT I genuinely believe the owners have made a massive mistake by backing CP. The performances in pre-season have been dire. There is no movement and play is far to slow. I don't think he will last the season I just hope our prem status is not sacrificed. I fear it will be and we will have the best training facilities in the Championship. I really really hope I am wrong !!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I really hope I'm right as well

I do see Potential.

I'm worried that some people are hoping we fail just so that Puel gets fired.

I think people are readying themselves for Puel to fail, having watched his appalling style of football last season. If they are hoping he fails it's because they love their club and can see no way of him improving it. 

7 hours ago, ealingfox said:

People pretending that others actually want the club to fail just because they don't rate the manager is one of the saddest and most immature things I've ever seen. Get off your high horses now because it's embarrassing. 

Literally nobody wants us to fail. Nobody. It breaks my heart to see us play badly and lose and I imagine it's the same for others.

We all have the same hopes, we all want the same thing. Just for some people it's tempered based on what we have seen. There is evidence we have been presented that Puel isn't a very good manager and you have to accept that.

If he leaves last season behind and his methods pay dividends and we are a good side this season then I will be delighted and perfectly happy to have been proven wrong. I'm not the only one either.

Good rational post. I think those wishing him to fail are only doing it out of the belief that it has to get worse before it gets better. Having no faith in him based on last seasons dire football under him one can only think well if he fvcks up quick enough he will be got rid of just as quick. A kind of perverse logic , but perfectly understandable given the football he has so far dished up.

I was rather underwhelmed when he was appointed and felt like he was the correct choice of manager and that we were on the right track after that very good spell just before Christmas last year. Then it all crumbled, Mahrez threw his tantrums, and the matches in the second half of last season were mostly dire to watch, reactionary (with us often times reacting to going behind or taking the lead and then letting the opposition come onto us without trying to seal the win), lifeless, clueless. Coupled with Puel's subdued interviews and his lack of English skills made for a disappointing end to the season. In my eyes, he didn't do well enough motivating the team (with or without Mahrez) for most part, the only real excuse that he had were the absences of certain players due to injury.

Now, with a full pre-season soon under his belt, I'm intrigued to see how it'll develop. He's now had enough time to implement his style in a 4-2-3-1 mostly, he's had enough time to work with most of our players thoroughly.

I'll cut him some slack with regards to having to find the best recipe with the new players we've signed, I guess they all have to come up to full speed first and it's got to click. I'm not expecting us to have turned into world beaters overnight, but at least lay the foundations for proactive, not reactive football that is both entertaining to some extent and effective and where the players truly work their socks off for each other.

• Like 1

We know Puel was brought in to change the playing style, change the playing personnel, and see what can be got from the youth.  That’s his CV and the pitch he made to Rudkin.

To think the club would pull the plug after as few as four games, in a season when the full first team will basically be at the late-July friendly stage after a few weeks of practice and two or three matches together … WTF.

The questions I asked last year remain unanswered.  Can he exert the influence to align the backroom staff, especially recruitment, with his vision and plans?  (Per ITK reports, not looking great.  But the transfer window does have his stamp on it.)

And can he motivate players who have already got it made to get behind change and consistently give their best?  (Not the vets who weren’t his, but many of them needed moving on.)

I still don't think “boring sideways football” is the intent.  He inherited a squad whose attacking DNA was two-pass countering, and that is not the attacking football he coaches.  That hurt us last year and will again this year, if the squad can’t execute --or he can’t coach them into -- an advancing possession style.  But let's see what they can do, after they gel.

So I’m still Puel agnostic.  But short run #puelin.  This change is risky, especially since he appears inflexible -- but is finally approaching speed.  Not the time to throw the car into reverse.  We'd be picking tranny parts off the road without even knowing what road it is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

We know Puel was brought in to change the playing style, change the playing personnel, and see what can be got from the youth.  That’s his CV and the pitch he made to Rudkin.

I think that's key to understanding where we are. Puel will be judged on that pitch/intention but it is far too early, IMO, to call success or failure. He's still building his squad, and that's not easy when there's pruning to be done, and so it's still a work in progress. As long as we're not relegation bothering, I reckon he ought be given time.

• Like 2

Trying to get the right balance of youth and experience will take a little more time.

Puel does have a reputation of bringing youth through, so I will judge him in time, on his assessment of a few of our youngsters maybe making the step up.

Even with a few of “his” signings, we have a massively unbalanced squad with Simpson,Fuchs,King,James,

Slimani,Benaloune,Ulloa and a few others I have forgot, with little to no future at the club that will all take a lot of time to move on for good. 

The players must know where they stand and we must have a split squad when it comes to all pulling in the right direction.

I feel Puel still needs this season to tweak a lot of things wrong with the playing staff, before he can be properly judged.

Any manager having 10 or so players not good enough is going to struggle, Pearson had to remove a lot of deadwood before he could truly get a squad that ran through brick walls for him.

With time Puel and his approach with a youthful team will come good but their are no quick fixes with the squad as it currently is 

• Like 1

Now that preseason is over the signs point to a team that is more cohesive and creative than last time round. The proof will be in the pudding that is the upcoming season but I think Puel has done alright so far. 

He’s got rid of a lot of deadwood and placed the emphasis on young players who have looked far superior to the title winning stalwarts in preseason. We are starting to look like more of a classical continental team that can control a game and which has more emphasis on a classically French style of play with lots of passing and one touch transition with certain players looking to break the lines. 

It it remains to be seen how we start and how long he gets given but personally I think if you gave this manager some decent technical players and enough time, he’d create a really decent team without breaking the bank. He’d also setup the youth teams so players can seamlessly fit into the first team to create a conveyor belt of decent prospects that would be trained well. He is quite clearly a “builder.”

I have to say after the 5-0 reverse to Palace last season I thought he should have gone but the slate has been wiped clean as far as I’m concerned and am looking forward to this season. Some of the interplay between Chilwell, Maddison and Nacho was brilliant and all of those players are under 23! 

Our best east route to getting anywhere close to repeating the miracle is to form a nucleus of talented young players that build a style and team spirit together. At least from the technical perspective I think we are making good progress. 

• Like 1

We started today just like so many games last season. Concede then chase the game second half. Maybe Puel bores the pants off the players and if he is the last voice you hear before going out onto the pitch it's no shock. Perhaps he should delegate that part to someone better equipped. Just a thought.

Fair enough if people want Puel out to help the club.

But people wanted him out before he'd played one match. People wanted him out when he didn't have the right players for his style. People wanted him out during pre-season fitness games.

And - god damn - he may not be right for the club. But wait until he's been playing his football with his players before shouting failure.

Before that get behind him and get behind the team. Jeering won't help anyone except the opposition.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 2

Preseason means nothing it’s too early to judge imo

Tonight was similar to many games in the first half an hour...clueless with no real pattern or plan but then once we scored we began to look comfortable although not massively threatening.

Possession football but at times lacking cohesion and direction but then we can look more dynamic at others - for me I’d like  to see more of the old closing down, high tempo mixed with keeping the ball.

CP will be judged in the first 8 games and whilst I find him dour and uninspiring he gets my support as it’s the club not the manager that is important...he has some excellent players who are a good spine at his disposal in Schmeichel, Maguire, Ndidi, Vardy so interesting times ahead!

10 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's a lot of irrational anti Puel sentiment here. We played pretty well today and there were elements there to be positive about.

Shame on all those wanting Puel to fail and therefore Leicester.

Quite the gap with some of the opposition we have played, lets judge on premier league results.

Forget his shit run to the end of the last season

His had a pre season and a transfer window to be judged on now 

I think this thread should have been locked until the season got under way - it’s clear he isn’t leaving so for what’s the point of having a thread where the antis can peddle their anti posts and the meh’s can say ‘wait and see’ and the few pros can defend him ??  We all know who is going to post what - having a thread which is likely to undermine the team seems strange as we enter a new campaign. Once the season gets under way and we see what transpires then presumably this thread can become a place of reasoned debate ..........