Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

48 minutes ago, Buce said:

He's not being forced to stay.

When someone meets his valuation, he can leave.

I think that it’s understood that he is not “forced” to stay, though.

He (Mahrez) seems to think that he is, and things could be cancerous. 

The sooner this is over, the better for LCFC. I would hate for this to drag on into preseason. Clean slate, etc. 

Edited by UPinCarolina

Guest Markyblue

I feel that it's getting to the point now where for the benefit of everyone he needs to go. If we get a few million less that will be balanced by knowing where we stand squad wise hanging on for more money might hurt us in the long run.dont care if pep gets a bargain we need this to end and fast.

8 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I think that it’s understood that he is not “forced” to stay, though.

He (Mahrez) seems to think that he is, and things could be cancerous. 

The sooner this is over, the better for LCFC. I would hate for this to drag on into preseason. Clean slate, etc. 

He'll be gone one way or the other this summer I would have thought.

He'll either have to offer to take a wage cut and signing on fee to move to Man City or another huge club will try for him a week before deadline day. Talent like Mahrez doesn't come available too often so someone will push the boat out for him. Poor form from Man City to rock this boat and then play underhand tactics to get him on the cheap. I'd imagine this has become a stare down with the Thai's and they're determined not to lose face which is really important in their culture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MCFC said:

Manchester City are really pushing this big new policy of not paying over what we think a player is worth. Unfortunately when the Sheikh took over we developed a bit of a reputation for being a soft touch in the transfer market- we would pay whatever it took to get players to come to us, both in transfer fee and wages, because we weren't as appealing as United, Barcelona or any of the other clubs we're trying to compete with. Nowadays, if I may say so, we're a bit more attractive for players who want to win trophies and work alongside some of the best in the game and we're trying to fix that reputation. We walked away from the Sanchez deal in August, and again in January, because we wanted to show that we don't pay over the odds anymore. I suspect we're being a pain in the arse RE Mahrez for the same reason. The only problem with this is that in January we paid £57m for Laporte because that was his release clause, when in reality he was probably a £35m player. Not exactly sending out a strong message, is it?

Now, who am I to say what price should be high enough for Leicester to sell? To me I'd say Mahrez is probably worth about £70m but if, bearing in mind the current market, Leicester want more then that's fair enough. I think he'll move during this window but if MCFC walk away in order to reinforce their tough-negotiator image then I won't be at all surprised. 

Also, for what it's worth, I think we should pay your club to take Roberts off our hands. An inconsistent player with a poor attitude. I wouldn't touch him if I were Puel. 

If that is true then I don't think it will be possible to sign Mahrez. Can't see the owners budging on their 95 million valuation. Not a selling club. 

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think £70m is about right. I mean, that’s £70Millon ffs. To Leicester City, for one of their players, whom we’ve milked a good bit out of. Time to take the cash. Just invest it wisely please.

70 million? That's 5 less than what Van Dijk went for. No thanks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, STUHILL said:

It's not really though when you consider Coutinho went for £125million, with Mahrez having much better stats 

I think realistically, £75m plus Roberts (£15m) is fair. 

Watching Sterling last night, Man City really need to do this business too! 

Stats!

Watch the games. couthinho is by far the better player NOW!

If we got £75m plus Roberts it would go down as the biggest transfer crime in our history. Just be happy if we get as much as £60m for the wantaway superstar.

57 minutes ago, FIF said:

Stats!

Watch the games. couthinho is by far the better player NOW!

If we got £75m plus Roberts it would go down as the biggest transfer crime in our history. Just be happy if we get as much as £60m for the wantaway superstar.

But he wasn't better at the time he moved. Now he's in a better team his stats are better. It will be the same for Riyad . We will be robbed when we look back and see how he improves man city. Look at sterling last night . Riyad would have had a hat trick with those chances . Removes blue tinted specks up the city Leicester of course. And right up the city man city of course. ?

I've just had a look on the Man City forum and one of their ITK's posted this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seemingly, Leicester agreed to the deal, asked for time to bring in a face, having said they were not keen on Roberts, but then decided at a later time that they were. They valued him at less than we did.

The player was under the belief he would receive a substantial pay-off from Leicester, which is considerable - but they have cited his original request to leave back in January.

A case of who pays him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would explain why Mahrez withdrew his transfer request a month or so ago but if this is true the deal will get done as Mahrez may have to decide on forgoing his "loyalty bonus" or getting his big move. No doubt his agent has been more trouble than he's worth.

Edited by Gerard
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've just had a look on the Man City forum and were of their ITK's posted this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seemingly, Leicester agreed to the deal, asked for time to bring in a face, having said they were not keen on Roberts, but then decided at a later time that they were. They valued him at less than we did.

The player was under the belief he would receive a substantial pay-off from Leicester, which is considerable - but they have cited his original request to leave back in January.

A case of who pays him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would explain why Mahrez withdrew his transfer request a month or so ago but if this is true the deal will get done as Mahrez may have to decide on forgoing his "loyalty bonus" or getting his big move. No doubt his agent has been more trouble than he's worth.

I wish they'd just get it over and done with. 

The main problem here is Mahrez. It’s a problem now for him as it has been for the club.

Its his attitude, his lack of effort in countless spells, his spoilt brat attitude, his disrespect for the club, fans and team mates ever since the title win. We've seen it, so has everyone else. 

If he hadnt neen such an arsehole in the last two years, and shown professionalism, maybe his beloved Barca would have now been in the queue for his services.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

6 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Why would we have a massive dressing room problem? If he spits his dummy out again we should send him litter picking the training ground for the season. He'd soon start grovelling. 

Puel didn’t do that last time, which pissed off the other players and did create disharmony.

He ****ed off, essentially going on strike. Puel in his wisdom sat him on the bench for half a game. The stupid ****.

This is where my disdain for Claude manifested its self btw.

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A case of who pays him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is their ITK as reliable as all our ITKs?

37 minutes ago, Gerard said:

A case of who pays him.

If he wants a loyalty bonus then that really is a piss take.

He's been desperate to get out for the 3 transfer windows.

31 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

The  lack of transfer action maybe because Pep is watching the World Cup and considering other options

This is a very real possibility. After all the faffing about in January Pep will be constantly studying alternatives during this world cup.

1 hour ago, waylander said:

But he wasn't better at the time he moved. Now he's in a better team his stats are better. It will be the same for Riyad . We will be robbed when we look back and see how he improves man city. Look at sterling last night . Riyad would have had a hat trick with those chances . Removes blue tinted specks up the city Leicester of course. And right up the city man city of course. ?

He was better when he moved. Mahrez was better in 2015/16. Couthino was better in 2016/17 and 2017/18.

Mahrez wouldn't have even been in position to make the mess that Sterling made based on his Leicester performances on the last 2 years.

It will be interesting to look back on Mahrez first two seasons with Man City. I think they'll look more like Drinkwater's first season with Chelsea and Mahrez will wish he never left the City that made him a star, but only time will tell.

If what the Man City forum ITK is claiming is true, it'll be interesting to see how much Mahrez truly wants his so called 'big move'. 

If the deal falls through and it's down to this technicality then he really has no grounds to be annoyed with Leicester as there's numerous other ways in which this issue could be resolved, i.e. He foresakes the payment, Man City offer him a golden hello to offset his losses, or Leicester make the payment on the proviso that Man City pay a higher transfer fee to cover the difference. Regardless of how it's structured it's a pretty simple obstacle to overcome, and if the move doesn't happen then he needs to be asking serious questions of his agent rather than the club, as it's ultimately his job to sell the services of his client. 

Edited by ian_marshall

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

It's a bit of a contradiction justifying paying £57m for Laporte because that was his release clause, you can still choose to offer less and walk away. 

This is a hostile bid by Man City. If Mahrez offered to sign a five year deal at Leicester tomorrow we might not even sell him at £100m. The only reason we're selling Mahrez is because his head has been turned and there is a lot of bad feeling I suspect between the two clubs when you've unsettled our player and are now trying to get him on the cheap, it's business but it's not very ethical or classy.

Mahrez is a former PFA POTY and a 7th placed Balon d'Or player and over the last three seasons there is not a player in the Premier League who has got more goals and assists than him all whilst playing RM in a 4-4-2 with defensive responsibilities in a low possession side. We're a bit pissed off that you value him in the same ballpark as a 24 year old uncapped centre half who you stumped up the cash to Athletic Bilbao no questions asked.

We've seen Mahrez be a statistically better player than both Coutinho and Hazard and they are valued at twice what Mahrez is despite Mahrez being statically better and both those players given more attacking freedom for their teams. 

I agree about Roberts, I don't want him here personally, I'd much rather have Grealish. Two seasons at Celtic seems to me he doesn't have the fire in his belly to keep challenging himself and took the easy option.

I take objection to the idea that we turned his head and unsettled him, of course we must take some of the blame but he definitely wanted to leave before we declared our interest in January. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Coutinho is worth more than £70m either. But inflation has made the market what it is. £90m for Mahrez wouldn't be an unfair price all things considered. 

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

That's interesting! I heard some Man CIty fans calling him a mini Messi, but think that was couple of seasons ago to be fair.

I don't think he would be coming to start here, far from it. More a case of having another young, exciting prospect on the books. Puel likes young boys... 

As for Mahrez, I think Leicester value him at around £90million with Man City valuation being closer to £60m. Be interesting to see who blinks first! 

At the start of last season City really wanted Roberts to spend a season on loan at a Premier League club. Newcastle and Southampton were among those interested. Roberts point blank refused to go and his agent made it clear that he would only be moving on loan to Celtic, but Roberts wasn't able to get regular starts last season even when fit. A club like yours should be looking for better IMO. 

Edited by MCFC
  • Like 3