Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

8 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I’d like Roberts :) I’d prefer if we didn’t sell Mahrez, it would almost be worth losing out on the money and letting him go on a free in two years ?

No sheppy, not you as well! Roberts is a total unproven, basically playing league 1 standard football. How anyone wants him is beyond me! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

No sheppy, not you as well! Roberts is a total unproven, basically playing league 1 standard football. How anyone wants him is beyond me! 

I wouldn’t want him as a replacement for Mahrez, just as a sweetener in the deal with potential to become important for us :) I'm desperate for marquee signings I really am, it’s too brave to rely on potential talent to replace absolute talent I think :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Riyad doesn’t have the sell on value of coutinho re his age and I consider hazard to be a better player. 

There's about 18 month difference it's hardly anything, both coming into there prime.

The major difference is he's nationality, if Mahrez was Brazilian he would be worth as much as him.

• Like 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

There's about 18 month difference it's hardly anything, both coming into there prime.

The major difference is he's nationality, if Mahrez was Brazilian he would be worth as much as him.

Nail on head

in fact I would say if Mahrez was Brazilian he would be “worth” more than Coutinho 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

To summise where we appear to be (or recently were),  blue moon seem to think that we brought Roberts into the deal having originally said we didn’t want the player (how come we changed our mind? did an alternative target fall through? ). And the loyalty bonus is a sticking point between us and mahrez. I wonder where we are legally on that one?

I don't think it matters where we stand legally. We're perfectly entitled to say no to the Man City offer and tell the player if he really wants to leave he'll have to put in a transfer request. After all he did withdraw his transfer request a month or so ago so he can't do that and moan that we won't let him go.

Reading between the lines from the Man City ITK then both clubs may have just about found common ground on the price but both parties aren't overly happy about the transfer fee and neither wants to pay Mahrez his "loyalty bonus" to get the deal done. It's an interesting conundrum if this is the case and Mahrez may have to suck it up to get his move. 

4 hours ago, MCFC said:

I take objection to the idea that we turned his head and unsettled him, of course we must take some of the blame but he definitely wanted to leave before we declared our interest in January. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Coutinho is worth more than £70m either. But inflation has made the market what it is. £90m for Mahrez wouldn't be an unfair price all things considered. 

Of course you unsettled him, that may have not been your intention but lowballing us with an enquiry 48 hours before the window shut was bound to turn the player's head. That's not a criticism either as you're perfectly entitled to try to sign whoever you want but you wanted him on the cheap and not pay the January premium for hostile bids especially when the window was almost over and we didn't have a plan B.

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't think it matters where we stand legally. We're perfectly entitled to say no to the Man City offer and tell the player if he really wants to leave he'll have to put in a transfer request. After all he did withdraw his transfer request a month or so ago so he can't do that and moan that we won't let him go.

Reading between the lines from the Man City ITK then both clubs may have just about found common ground on the price but both parties aren't overly happy about the transfer fee and neither wants to pay Mahrez his "loyalty bonus" to get the deal done. It's an interesting conundrum if this is the case and Mahrez may have to suck it up to get his move. 

I’m talking about the loyalty bonus. If we refuse to pay it and do the deal with Man City then we may be sued by mahrez for it. I suspect we are trying to get it into the sale document and as such once he signs that he legally refutes his entitlement to it. 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I’m talking about the loyalty bonus. If we refuse to pay it and do the deal with Man City then we may be sued by mahrez for it. I suspect we are trying to get it into the sale document and as such once he signs that he legally refutes his entitlement to it. 

I know you're talking about the loyalty bonus. We're perfectly entitled to say to Mahrez we need him to waive it if we're going to accept the Man City offer.

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Coutinho was sold when he was 25 1/2. three years into his contract he will still have 18 months before he reaches thirty. Riyad is nearly 27 1/2.  Three years into his new contract he will be over thirty. I’d say that makes a fair difference on resale value between the two of them. 

• Like 1

The info is a bit hit and miss but I don't think a player who can go as far as handing a transfer request and "go missing" is now looking for his loyalty bonus. My guess is that those bonuses are about goals, assists, appearances and how good the club does.

If it's a loyalty bonus then he's having a laugh but if what I said I think is true, then the club is fishing in muddy waters. if Man City pays over the odds than I can't put it past them to come back and take kelechi on the cheap after the club invested 2 seasons in him.

He's now stuck between the hammer and the anvil. He can't lash out at any party because the deal will fall off.

As for the club changing the price tag and the asking price, it's just a way to make more profit. That's the game folks. No love or loyalty. It's business

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

No Roberts. Good, we need as much dosh as possible for a Mahrez replacement who is an immediate starter.

It should make the deal a bit easier if it's just straight cash as apparently we had different views on Roberts valuation. I'm not struck much on Roberts as although I've never properly watched him play there are a few red flags for me.

Man City don't let go of their best young players unless they don't think they'll ever be good enough. Even with Iheanacho they insisted on a 150% buy back clause so whatever he does we have all the downside and a maximum of £12.5m upside.

I'm not sure he's made of stern stuff after doing a second year on loan at Celtic when the next step up should have been a PL team which he point blank refused.

There's also the injury worry at a young age (I know about Maddison) and he never got his Celtic place back even though Brendan Rogers may have played his own player near then end like Puel did with Dragovic/Morgan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

The info is a bit hit and miss but I don't think a player who can go as far as handing a transfer request and "go missing" is now looking for his loyalty bonus. My guess is that those bonuses are about goals, assists, appearances and how good the club does.

If it's a loyalty bonus then he's having a laugh but if what I said I think is true, then the club is fishing in muddy waters. if Man City pays over the odds than I can't put it past them to come back and take kelechi on the cheap after the club invested 2 seasons in him.

He's now stuck between the hammer and the anvil. He can't lash out at any party because the deal will fall off.

As for the club changing the price tag and the asking price, it's just a way to make more profit. That's the game folks. No love or loyalty. It's business

The term "loyalty bonus" can be a bit of an oxymoron but I think it's purely about what he's entitled to if Leicester sell him. By putting in a transfer request he waives his right to his "loyalty bonus" so he's obviously being cute when he withdraws his transfer request knowing that he'll be moving on a few weeks after and still expects to get paid. It might be 10% so about £7m but if Leicester give him that it means the transfer is a lot less lucrative for us and not worth us doing.

Any bonuses relating to goals, assists and appearances is unambiguous and he's certainly entitled to that bonus without dispute. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

The term "loyalty bonus" can be a bit of an oxymoron but I think it's purely about what he's entitled to if Leicester sell him. By putting in a transfer request he waives his right to his "loyalty bonus" so he's obviously being cute when he withdraws his transfer request knowing that he'll be moving on a few weeks after and still expects to get paid. It might be 10% so about £7m but if Leicester give him that it means the transfer is a lot less lucrative for us and not worth us doing.

Any bonuses relating to goals, assists and appearances is unambiguous and he's certainly entitled to that bonus without dispute. 

Well, the more you know I guess lol I thought loyalty bonus was about an already set amount that regards a players behavior and the number of years a player spent on a team that will be paid and not a % of the fee.

The club can make him give up normal bonuses if he was so desperate to leave. Many players did the same in an attempt to drive the asking price down. I say sell him and he can take it to court if he wants his loyalty bonus. The club has the stronger case but I don't think the owners want that kind of ba PR so it's smart to take advantage while The club has the higher ground.

This is just turning to a rather toxic situation. Someone has to sacrifice something and no one is moving. If Riyad wants his move then he shouldn't expect any good gestures looking at how he handled this transfer saga.

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

Well, the more you know I guess lol I thought loyalty bonus was about an already set amount that regards a players behavior and the number of years a player spent on a team that will be paid and not a % of the fee.

The club can make him give up normal bonuses if he was so desperate to leave. Many players did the same in an attempt to drive the asking price down. I say sell him and he can take it to court if he wants his loyalty bonus. The club has the stronger case but I don't think the owners want that kind of ba PR so it's smart to take advantage while The club has the higher ground.

This is just turning to a rather toxic situation. Someone has to sacrifice something and no one is moving. If Riyad wants his move then he shouldn't expect any good gestures looking at how he handled this transfer saga.

My interpretation is just an educated guess so you may be right and I'm wrong. :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

My interpretation is just an educated guess so you may be right and I'm wrong. :D

And you just put numbers there an everything and used some fancy word like "oxymoron" so I was like "Yeah, that kinda makes sense............ I guess?". I was even feeling good about learning something new. Maaaaaan! 

3seed_medium.0.gif

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I know you're talking about the loyalty bonus. We're perfectly entitled to say to Mahrez we need him to waive it if we're going to accept the Man City offer.

So if I'm reading this loyalty stuff correctly, in strictly legal terms....Mahrez is taking the piss and being greedy and thereby putting his move at risk. Further more, removing his transfer request was a breathtakingly cynical move to try to keep his bonus. He is either a complete nobhead or being really badly advised by those claiming to act for him. 

1 minute ago, FoxFossil said:

So if I'm reading this loyalty stuff correctly, in strictly legal terms....Mahrez is taking the piss and being greedy and thereby putting his move at risk. Further more, removing his transfer request was a breathtakingly cynical move to try to keep his bonus. He is either a complete nobhead or being really badly advised by those claiming to act for him. 

The later. 

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Nail on head

in fact I would say if Mahrez was Brazilian he would be “worth” more than Coutinho 

I do agree being brizillian would make a difference but

If Mahrez was playing for a top 4 premier League side he would be 200m plus easily.

His nationality doesn’t matter it’s the club he plays for

If Man City as suggested in MEN are attempting to take some ‘moral high ground’ by not paying the touted transfer fee, they are having an absolute laugh. 

They knew the price in January and act surprised when it’s the same in May/June. They’ve unsettled the player, worked on it with his agent and gave us a headache. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If Man City as suggested in MEN are attempting to take some ‘moral high ground’ by not paying the touted transfer fee, they are having an absolute laugh. 

They knew the price in January and act surprised when it’s the same in May/June. They’ve unsettled the player, worked on it with his agent and gave us a headache. 

I'd say we are going to make this as painful as possible to discourage Meh City from using this tactic with us again in the future if they take a liking to any of our players, they will very quickly become a much maligned club if this is how they want to operate.