Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Puel - what about now

Puel - what about now  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Puel - what about now

Sorry I voted out after really wanting to see what he could achieve after the summer. It turned for me when he made the double defensive substitution on 90 minutes 0-0 against Southampton, totally pointless...we were safe from relegation, why not have a go.

If he does ends up staying I'll be willing to say ok, lets give him another chance and see how the first 8 to 10 games pan out next season. 

Edited by Blue Ed

17 minutes ago, lee7 said:

It's amazing how many people have changed their mind based on one game lol let's face it they can't all be first time voters so I'm assuming quite a lot of posters have changed their mind on the back of one win! 

It's worse than brexit lol

4 hours ago, Stan said:

We could very well end up with 50 points this season, then sack the manager largely responsible for this outcome.

We can argue all we like about ‘style’ and 5 in 19 etc. but that would set a very high bar for the next manager. 

A question for the ‘Puel Out’ faction: What defines success next season?

As you're alluding to, we're currently on 47 points, six of those are on Shakespeare's account, another three thanks to the Swansea away win produced under Appleton.

That's 38 points gained under Puel, 17 of those in his first eight matches (five wins, two draws). Since then, the record reads W5 D6 L9 (21 points in 20 matches).

With fantastic results and performances against the likes of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton (performance), Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, Everton and Watford.

Based on current form, 5 in 19 (closing in on 5 in 20) isn't a high bar for the next manager. Spread over a full season and 38 matches, that's about nine wins. And 16th/17th in the table.

Success next season to me would mean having a manager who can connect to both players and fans, highly likely having to deal with Mahrez going to another club, successfully integrating new players over the summer (read: a worthy transfer window), being able to let go of some of the old guard in the process in a professional manner, rediscovering our winning mentality/style of play in some way, the club finding back to its identity lost since the league title, and player performances that convince/entertain the fans, even if it means losing games.

Oh, and maybe giving it a real go in a cup competition.

I know, it's asking a lot - but we've got to start somewhere. Under Puel, I get the impression that we tend to make one step forward and two steps back.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Don't think last night's performance will have any bearing on the owners decision. Be very surprised if Puel is not moved on when the season ends. They can now do it with the confidence that the players are easily good enough to compete at the top half of the table and that Puel has, without doubt, had them under performing with his crazy methods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

As you're alluding to, we're currently on 47 points, six of those are on Shakespeare's account, another three thanks to the Swansea away win produced under Appleton.

That's 38 points gained under Puel, 17 of those in his first eight matches (five wins, two draws). Since then, the record reads W5 D6 L9 (21 points in 20 matches).

With fantastic results and performances against the likes of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton (performance), Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, Everton and Watford.

Based on current form, 5 in 19 (closing in on 5 in 20) isn't a high bar for the next manager. Spread over a full season and 38 matches, that's about nine wins. And 16th/17th in the table.

Success next season to me would mean having a manager who can connect to both players and fans, highly likely having to deal with Mahrez going to another club, successfully integrating new players over the summer (read: a worthy transfer window), being able to let go of some of the old guard in the process in a professional manner, rediscovering our winning mentality/style of play in some way, the club finding back to its identity lost since the league title, and player performances that convince/entertain the fans, even if it means losing games.

I know, it's asking a lot - but we've got to start somewhere. Under Puel, I get the impression that we tend to make one step forward and two steps back.

Do you understand ‘largely responsible’?

Most teams outside the top six have gone through pretty miserable runs - even our terrible run in the last 19 matches is NOT relegation form. Also, if we are being honest, we have not been consistently awful during that run - West Ham and Palace have distorted opinions.

Just out of interest, did you back Pearson when he couldn’t buy a win for months in the Championship, then again in the Premier League?

30 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

MC,

I seem to remember crossing swords in the past.

We are now totally of a similar mind.

All spot on.

Somebody probably already posted it, but Vardy did an interview after the match saying that Puel has been trying to get them to move the ball quickly and move it forward as often as possible (instead of just keeping it in the back), and Wed night they finally managed to do it:

Maybe they just needed time to adjust?

• Like 1

Regardless of what is right or wrong he will go, he is not right for the club and never was. The number of questions and posts about him says that. He needs to go, and he will. He isn't a genius with some plan that just needs time to kick in. By the same token let's tear up the squad and start again. We are dated and sinking fast.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you understand ‘largely responsible’?

Most teams outside the top six have gone through pretty miserable runs - even our terrible run in the last 19 matches is NOT relegation form. Also, if we are being honest, we have not been consistently awful during that run - West Ham and Palace have distorted opinions.

Just out of interest, did you back Pearson when he couldn’t buy a win for months in the Championship, then again in the Premier League?

Yes it is relegation form -18 Pts in 19 matches, is my understanding.

Thats 36 pts in a season.

1 hour ago, Pete from the USA said:

Somebody probably already posted it, but Vardy did an interview after the match saying that Puel has been trying to get them to move the ball quickly and move it forward as often as possible (instead of just keeping it in the back), and Wed night they finally managed to do it:

Maybe they just needed time to adjust?

Why would they need time to adjust. We won the league playing exactly that style of football.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adamlcfcbevo85 said:

Puel consistency in the prem is about as consistent as these polls.

Let's not Polish a turd.

He has been a terrible manager.

Get rid

That’s quite clearly BS.

15 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Yes it is relegation form -18 Pts in 19 matches, is my understanding.

Thats 36 pts in a season.

Or 21 in 20.

Obviously, that doesn’t fit your narrative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Or 21 in 20.

Obviously, that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Stan.

That’s still shit.

Which I’m surprised you quoted, as it DOES NOT FIT YOUR NARRATIVE on the subject, which is making a case that he’s going a good job. ??‍♂️

Explain please; Im a little non plussed as to why you are taking the decision to defend a manager with shit results AND awful tactics and style of play.

Thats is to say, you are arguing against some facts in terms of the points and last 20 games, and also what you have seen with your own eyes.

Or are you working on emotion, which is a word you used the other day as if to denigrate my opinion?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

18 hours ago, Babylon said:

He has, but he had a shit load of bad luck in terms of injuries, suspensions etc. When all of those started to hit, we really tailed off. Before that, I could cope with the Stoke / Bournmouth performances short term as I didn't think we were too far away.

Also, the argument should really be that he can't implement the style he wants, rather than this IS the style he wants and people don't like it.

Come of it.

Injuries only just happened in the last week.

I was saying he was playing a negative style and he was a shit manager 3 months ago,

and you were arguing the other way.

Now we have had 3 months of shit football and results you are coming out with the same spiel DESPITE results and performances proving my perspective correct, and yours the opposite.

What you have said there - he can’t implement the style he wants? 

Another reason to sack the ****er then; he’s employed to implement his style to get results -AND the paying public DONT like it - that’s no defence.

I feel it’s better to have an opinion, state it, and stand or fall on how that pans out. 

Why don’t you give that a try rather than continually defending underperforming managers.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

49 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Why would they need time to adjust. We won the league playing exactly that style of football.

Was it really exactly the same? It seemed to me like they were stringing more passes together than in the title winning season. 40% possession against Arsenal is much higher than most teams this year. I remember sub-30% in many matches in 2015-16.

I was excited by the honeymoon period and we played some nice football. Since Riyads strop we've been turgid, until last night! Sadly it insinuates that the players part in this has to be called into question and it leaves a bitter taste. CP obviously does not have their respect or any authority so is inevitably gone imo.

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

8 hours ago, chapero82 said:

How can you change your mind after just one game? Just shows you how fickle our fans are! 

I have never been in and never will be unless he wins every game next season lol 

Typically hyperbolic statement.

So if we win 24 games next season by 3 goals or more?