Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Puel - what about now

Puel - what about now  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Puel - what about now

I'll be completely honest usually i'm super excited going into the summer transfer window, the chance to improve and see new players coming in but with Mahrez almost 100% leaving, probably being manager less for at least a month into the window i'm super nervous and almost dreading it, really hope we don't **** this one up and end up shit creak next season. 

1 hour ago, richardsfoxes said:

I'll be completely honest usually i'm super excited going into the summer transfer window, the chance to improve and see new players coming in but with Mahrez almost 100% leaving, probably being manager less for at least a month into the window i'm super nervous and almost dreading it, really hope we don't **** this one up and end up shit creak next season. 

I predict Mahrez leaving will improve the mood at the club. It only takes one bad attitude to spoil the dynamic.

6 hours ago, StevieB said:

He's already gone. I truly believe that performance came from the players finding out Puels going at the end of the season. I'd be happy to be wrong, but his body language tonight told me otherwise. Did anyone else notice him?

If that's the case it's disgusting. From both the players and Puel.

His job is to motivate them, but they are professionals, paid huge sums, they should be performing for the fans not the manager.

3 hours ago, brucey said:

Very interesting to hear. Did Appleton seem involved?

I wouldn’t have said so. Mainly Stowell (and someone else - Maybe Appleton, I don’t think so) - which tbf he could have been more involved because of Jakupovic playing.

Something defiantly wasn't right, strange one would like to know what exactly is the case... I wouldn't be surprised if he has been told that's it at the end of the season, feel for the bloke but come on he has had long enough to get us playing how we should be, the players can take some of the blame but when they are asked to play the complete opposite and it doesn't work week in week out then problems will arise.

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Can we stop doing this every few days? If your opinion is so fickle that it can be swayed by one game then chances are it's not an opinion worth listening too.

Yes but it turns out that about 25% of ft voters are swayed by one game.  I repect their options and right to be so idiotic and mindless .

Puel has no authoity... he is no use to us . Bin him

Edited by foxinsocks

It was the same type of performance like when we beat Liverpool at home when Craig Shakespeare took caretaker charge when Claudio was dismissed, the shackles had been firmly lifted off the players.

Puel’s style of play, side to side & backwards was no where to be seen last night and it was us playing the Leicester way that won us the title that got us a well earnt victory. Balls over the top for Vardy had him buzzing all night. I find it bizarre to think Puel has scrapped his system for that game. He said post match it was the same style with better application. Don’t agree at all having been to most games this season. I found it strange Puel’s body language on the side line, kicking an invisible ball, head to the ground, arms folded, looking distant and withdrawn, for the first time in a long time others on the management team were getting involved on the side lines which was good to see.

I don’t think Arsenal losing 7 on the bounce and taking no away points in 2018 has anything to do with us winning, they still fielded a strong team and looked a threat, I just think any team will have struggled to live with us playing like last night.

There were a number of Puel Out chants after the final whistle and the odd banner around and despite a glorious night to end the season at home I still think Puel will be axed in the summer for a dreadful five months of performances and results and what most media outlets have reported on regarding his lack of communication to the players, changing of the team, lack of intensity in training etc. The owners said in their recent vote of full support for the manager & players it was for the final 3 games of the season, no mention of next season.

I don’t think last nights performance and result in isolation will have any bearing on the owners decision on the future of Puel because I think their mind is already made up.

Finally it was fitting to see Mahrez score another box office goal in front of the home faithful in what surely will he his last home match in a Foxes shirt and also delighted to see a really polished performance from Jakupovic who himself looks like he may move on in the summer.

Bit confused by those saying we played like we used to with balls over the top. there were some but not that many. whilst the game was 0-1 and 1-1, we were mostly playing on the floor into feet between the lines. they made that easier than others have done over the past few months 

• Like 2

I was a staunch member of the "Puel In" camp up until the Palace match but I still think he should go.

I don't know what goes on privately at the club but at the very least the players have to trust the manager's methods and be prepared to do what he says without question as he should know best. I feel the players don't think that so the writing is on the wall for Puel.

I don't think he's a people person but I do like a lot of his ideas and it's a pity we couldn't "kick him upstairs" as I think he'd be an excellent DOF overseeing the training ground development and heading the scouting department. He does a lot of things I would like to think I would do myself if that was my job.

He's brought in Diabate for buttons and quickly decided to get rid of players who offer very little to the the squad albeit most of them were on loan as we never had offers for them. He has an emphasis on youth and I'm certain that Puel would rather promote a Choudhury as a squad player than spend £12m on a 30 year old Iborra. We've been linked with the Porto right back who 442 magazine rated the 10th best in the world.

I think given time he would see us with a team of very good players supported by younger players in the squad rather than spending good money on older players who don't command a first team spot. As a manager though he hasn't had the charisma and personality to get the players fully on side and that's the sort of thing that gets managers the sack very quickly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

That wasn't just a change in tactics tonight, that was a complete change in attitude and application. 

I was grinning from ear to ear for 90 minutes but on reflection it makes me sad that our players have actively chosen to not play with that intensity for several months. 

You can't blame Puel for that. That rests on the players. No matter what they've been asked to do there is no reason to not put in that level of effort every week. If they did we'd have won significantly more games. 

Players were moving into space, passing to each other, calling for the ball. We pressed high and hounded them for the ball AND we looked after it in possession. 

That wasn't a masterclass in tactics from Puel - that was the players trying and working hard which can be done in any system and we've not seen it from them for weeks and weeks. 

Says a lot but it's sad that we've not seen more of that this year. That kind of effort won us this league two years ago. 

Who says they did it on purpose? And that over the course of five months?

There's so many elements coming into play here that we don't know half the story of. Puel changing tactics halfway through the season, the Mahrez debacle in January, lack of communication, internal struggles, questionable training methods, questionable team selections, injuries...

It's a give-and-take situation, you can't have player performances on a higher level without self-motivation and motivation by the manager.

They should all complement each other.

To me, even though we're talking professional footballers here, they want to be guided, they want to follow your vision, they ought to look up to you as a manager - if you can get it across to the team as a whole and to the individual players. Player management is an art in itself. This is where Pearson excelled - and Ranieri to some extent.

In that regard, Puel has failed. All the kudos to him for his past successes in his native France and a Ligue 1 title 18 years ago, but he's never looked like he's really arrived in England ever since he quit Nice. Whenever I see him on the sidelines, he makes for a lonely figure.

And the similarities between this season and his previous one with Southampton are staggering.

What's the common denominator in all of this?

The fish stinks from the top as we tend to say over here - so, I'd look at the manager, plus our management and recruitment team in particular for letting it slide after our title win.

There's two sides to this and it seems there's very few people in the middle and being remotely reasonable.

Firstly, you believe that because we beat a 10 man Arsenal who haven't picked up a point away from home for 5 months, Puel deserves to be credited immensely & the previous games swept under the carpet.

Secondly, you believe that a) Puel had nothing to do with that result and b) the players decided to 'play their own tactics'.

The second line of reasoning is childish and a little bit stupid in my opinion. The truth of it is, we were able to play on the counter & get balls over the top because instead of a team (West Ham, Newcastle, Palace) sitting extremely deep and letting Big Wes & co dick about with it, Arsenal, even when down to 10, played a high line and tried to play football. This created spaces that simply weren't there in previous games, so of course when Silva, Choudhury & co picked up the ball & saw Vardy running in behind Mustafi & a vastly inexperienced Maitland Niles, they played the ball over the top because the space actually existed, unlike in previous games.

• Like 1

Peul Out

We are still in relegation form and thankfully the season is over, bar one game.

Let's not forget the games before, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Newcastle,   

We lost all of these games

I hope that this win doesn't mean it has bought Peul more time into the next season and also money to spend. 

I'm not his greatest fan but I'm not a fan of constantly changing the manager either, so if we can play more games like that and less like Southampton at home then he can stay the summer. Top ten wouldn't be a bad achievement considering some of the injuries, suspensions and Mahrez unrest. Just some of the football has been beyond dire.

• Like 1

What was the difference last night? Arsenal. Simple as that. They gave us space between the lines, they gave us pace in-behind for Vardy, they gave us time on the ball.

The vast majority of matches in Premier League we don't get those luxuries, that suit us so well, and we struggle. Puel's remit was not to improve us against Arsenal at home, it was to improve us against the "bottom 12" at home, which he has failed at miserably.

Same goes for Sunday. We will have opportunities to counter so we there is a chance we could get a result, but he's still one bad result away from another toxic meltdown. It's not a good idea to go into a new season with that hanging over you.

Don't know how we should really read last nights performance. 

They were all over us in the first 10 minutes but we did seem to grow into the game and up our intensity before we scored. After that we looked like a different side, one that I haven't seen this calendar year, and even though Arsenal were reduced to 10 men I still thought the type of performance and attitude we displayed was unrecognisable when compared with previous games. 

Some are suggesting that Arsenal's poor away form and defensive set-up played right into our hands, that may well be... but the tempo we played with last night was of a different class, and moreover, given our slow build-up play recently - you wouldn't have even thought that the way Arsenal played would have played into our hands anyway, given our tactical shifts etc. So what gives? Is it the players, is it the manager? Has Puel already been dismissed? Did he really change the style from what won him his first few games to that slow and turgid stuff we sadly became accustomed too? It seems as though he did given his press conferences etc. But then why change back just for last night, and why not celebrate the goals? One thing is for sure, I saw the team pressing and harassing the Arsenal players deep into stoppage time and that is something that we haven't even seen after going 1-0 down and chasing Europe, let alone when we are cruising at 3-1 with just seconds to play and nothing to play for. The style and attitude was completely different last night and I know it was a weak Arsenal team, but given our recent performances I would have thought that even with 10, we would have struggled. It had gotten to the point that I would just be happy to see some attacking intent in the first half, we must have had about 6/7 shots by half time, many of them decent efforts. 

Does Puel know he's leaving, are the players and assistants basically steering the ship at this point? Or, has Puel really attempted to rectify what has gone wrong? I think the latter is unlikely.

Edited by oadby.fox
  • Like 1

If that really is the style of play he wants it gives pause for thought that perhaps he should stay. However I’m finding it difficult to dismiss the nagging thought in the back of my mind that perhaps the players had told him to stick his sideways and backwards style up his arse, and that they’d play their way.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

Glad I wasn't the only one who picked up on it.

I know i've blamed Puel at every opportunity but I struggle to believe he was fully behind that - To add to the fact the coaches seemed to be doing more work on the touchline, giving more directions back up my thinking.

Looked at him a few times through the match, now I know we've all commented on him not being the most excitable or passionate chap and that he comes across as very dull, boring and quiet, but he hardly did anything tonight, arms crossed, quite miserable looking, when we scored he stood arms on his side, looking into the ground, kicking air, almost like he was disappointed we played well and had scored. I think he knows he's gone.

I do hope you right Matt