Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Puel - what about now

Puel - what about now  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Puel - what about now

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Do you understand ‘largely responsible’?

Most teams outside the top six have gone through pretty miserable runs - even our terrible run in the last 19 matches is NOT relegation form. Also, if we are being honest, we have not been consistently awful during that run - West Ham and Palace have distorted opinions.

Just out of interest, did you back Pearson when he couldn’t buy a win for months in the Championship, then again in the Premier League?

Oh, I understand. I think we're on the same page in many aspects. It's now merely an argument in favour for or against the manager based on these exact same numbers.

We both agree that Puel has been largely responsible for the 47 points collected since he took over, minus 9 makes 38.

Still don't see how that's supposed to be a point when it's pretty much given we couldn't have sacked Puel after his initially bright start with 17 points in eight matches.

Could he have gotten more out of the fixtures since mid-December? I'd say so. We're looking at nine matches where we threw one half away and performed poorly, letting it slide massively. Cost us about 15 points right there.

I hope you're not referring to me when you're talking about it not being relegation form. I agree. Only thanks to yesterday's result does it look a bit better again (5 wins out of 20 instead of 4 out of 20). Still highly worrying going into next season, especially if we shouldn't get anything from the Spurs away match. The tendency in that case is 9 wins out of 38 and a place very close to the relegation zone. Now I know, this is all hypothetical. I'm simply very worried we're taking this form into next season.

As for Pearson and my opinion of him, I can't recall having many doubts about his capabilities as a man manager, even in times of "crisis" (the end of the 2012-13 Championship season with a last-gasp qualification to the playoffs, or the first season back in the Premier League). Even though results went against us, the performances on the pitch gave me hope and I saw a team trying to make it work for the better.

I think the circumstances can not be compared that easily - on one hand, you have an inexperienced Premier League manager facing the task of avoiding relegation with a newly-promoted team (and many unproven players at that level), on the other hand a former Ligue 1 title winner with plenty of pedigree at pro level that is supposed to cement our standing in the Premier League and take it from there, operating on a much bigger budget (yes, I know he only had one transfer window at his disposal yet) and with much better, more established players at hand.

• Like 2

Nothing surprising with a 20% swing. You have those with strong opinions on one side or the other who won't change their minds, but there are loads in the middle who were only slightly to one side or the other.

It wasn't just the final result with this game. It also raised the possibility that the players had more to do with previous failures than we thought, in which case people are questioning how much blame they previously apportioned to Puel. Also with Choudhury finally putting in a good performance, some may feel Puel's emphasis on youth has paid off. All reasonable explanations for a 20% swing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Nothing surprising with a 20% swing. You have those with strong opinions on one side or the other who won't change their minds, but there are loads in the middle who were only slightly to one side or the other.

It wasn't just the final result with this game. It also raised the possibility that the players had more to do with previous failures than we thought, in which case people are questioning how much blame they previously apportioned to Puel. Also with Choudhury finally putting in a good performance, some may feel Puel's emphasis on youth has paid off. All reasonable explanations for a 20% swing. 

Meh 

Sack the twat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still think he should be given a whole transfer window.

He seems like someone who wants to improve things in the long-term, but unfortunately with that mindset is likely to somewhat affect short-term results (which is already well-documented before the Arsenal game).

He's probably moreorless knows the weaknesses of the team, and his own mistakes that he's made, and will have a plan for the off-season in a bid to be more potent next season.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sylofox said:

So one result and it's a 20% swing. Fecking stuff spuds and 60%+ will want him to stay. Talk about fickle lol lol 

I've stayed the same..I wanted and still want him to stay....

Someweeks I love Sitting so much on the fence,my wife made me sit-on-the-fence cushion.

I am a proud,singular, obstroculous,dont know better happy clapper...

The Bastalion will stand its ground,the Foreign Legion will hold to the last man,

Puel's French revolution ,our Beau Geste as only just Started...

Nous sommes des dégourdis,
Nous sommes des lascars
Des types pas ordinaires.
Nous avons souvent notre cafard,
Nous sommes des légionnaires.
Au Tonkin, la Légion immortelle
À Tuyen-Quang illustra notre drapeau,
Héros de Camerone et frères modèles
Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux.
Tiens, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin
Pour les Alamagne, le Spaniards et les Lorrains.
Pour  manutd en a plus.
Pour les Mancity en a plus.
Ce sont des tireurs au cul.
Pour les Belges y en a plus.
Pour les Belges y en a plus.
Ce sont des tireurs au cul.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I still think he should be given a whole transfer window.

He seems like someone who wants to improve things in the long-term, but unfortunately with that mindset is likely to somewhat affect short-term results (which is already well-documented before the Arsenal game).

He's probably moreorless knows the weaknesses of the team, and his own mistakes that he's made, and will have a plan for the off-season in a bid to be more potent next season.

I really want to believe that this is the case, I like the idea of having some stability and a "vision" so long as whoever is in charge (which includes the manager and those above him) is able to realise that vision. 

I think that most of the contempt for Puel comes as a direct result of his communicating style (or lack thereof), as well as the results and performances. I hope that he is the right man for the job but I am incredibly worried that he isn't and that he is not aware of the deficiencies within the squad or his own managerial performance. I think a lot of fans just like to see ownership of bad results and poor tactical decisions, and that is something that has been seemingly missing over the past few months. Perhaps he prefers to keep such criticism private and on the training ground rather than in match interviews which is fine, but only time well really tell if that is the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.J said:

Still in for me.  Same again tomorrow should hopefully change some of the doubters opinions and give us all some hope for next season.

Keep the faith!

you must be a crazer - we were playing 10 men without a striker... we managed to finish three random chances and a load of you think one swallow makes a summer.  Puel is a poor leader and has no authority - he  cannot take us further.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

you must be a crazer - we were playing 10 men without a striker... we managed to finish three random chances and a load of you think one swallow makes a summer.  Puel is a poor leader and has no authority - he  cannot take us further.

I know it was a poor Arsenal who had 10 men for 75 minutes (I thought we looked good for the 15 where it was 11v11 btw) and not got a point on the road in 2018. 

But you've still got to give him time.  You can't keep changing managers like Watford for example.  So, what if we got Wagner in and he was no good?  You'd be calling for his head too.  Puel has worked out who needs to go in the squad, if we got another manager in then we'd get a false bounce with the players who are past it.  Then normal service will be resumed when they can't be arsed, and before you know it we've wasted half a season...........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C.J said:

I know it was a poor Arsenal who had 10 men for 75 minutes (I thought we looked good for the 15 where it was 11v11 btw) and not got a point on the road in 2018. 

But you've still got to give him time.  You can't keep changing managers like Watford for example.  So, what if we got Wagner in and he was no good?  You'd be calling for his head too.  Puel has worked out who needs to go in the squad, if we got another manager in then we'd get a false bounce with the players who are past it.  Then normal service will be resumed when they can't be arsed, and before you know it we've wasted half a season...........

He lacks authority.   Mistake to hire him.   We need to accept that snd move on.  We cant say..look he is crap but we keep him coz we dont want a hi turnover!

• Like 1

I'm undecided on this I can see why fans would want him to stay or go. Up until the palace game I wanted him to stay for next season but I just don't think the players are with him in terms of what he wants. He seems to lack authority and leadership. I would be worried who we end up with if puel goes. 

2 minutes ago, StevieB said:

(Rumours) on twitter. Puel wanted by St Etienne? Anyone seen anything 

Not exactly.
A business man who want to buy Saint-Etienne took contact with Puel and Wenger.

57 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

What do you mean 'what about now?'

Like people should change their mind after one match? You do that, you're a mug. Looks like quite a few are on here.

That's so much better to have an opinion based on nothing concrete even before his first game in charge and never change it even when the results were excellent...

Edited by yks

• Maybe this says a lot on how the club has progressed but a 9th place finish at worse and 2 cup QF will go down as one of our much better seasons in the last 50 years. Lots of ifs and buts and it could have been a lot better season. Quite clear that we have to move on a lot of players with plenty of cash coming in and going out. Just after the recent performances i cannot see lots of quality players jumping at the chance to come and play for us and Puels ability to attract them. After all if he stays a poor start to the season will see him gone. Whatever the club decides it needs to be done quickly and stay or go the fans need to get behind the decision
  • Like 1