Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

We did have seven possibilies.

Obi

Hughes

Knight

Darnell

Pasc

Soyuncu

Benny

But we've sold Benny, loaned out Knight and Darnell, Hughe's is injured, Soyuncu doesn't do u23s now apparently and Pasc is already playing.

Which leaves us with only the untested Obi, unless Soyuncu wants to come back to the u23s. Doesn't Amartey need some match fitness too?

Obi doesn't officially join us till July, so he's not an option at the moment

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Can't get in the team past Evans, Maguire and Morgan? Hardly a waste of money.

How does that make it not a waste of money?

Age on his side for sure but even if he was mainly for the future I'd have expected him to feature more for how much we paid.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Age on his side for sure but even if he was mainly for the future I'd have expected him to feature more for how much we paid.

Your expectations are the problem. He wasn't bought to step into the side straight away. He couldn't even communicate with the rest of the squad the first few weeks. He'll get his chance, it finally seems that Wes is on his way out but at the moment Evans and Maguire are our 2 best CBs. Evans has stepped up mightily in his last few games.

38 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Because he wasn't bought to go straight into the first team

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'll eat my words if he does eventually get a proper run. Seen us pay a lot and barely use players a few times though so apologies if I'm a bit cynical.

I did think it was a bit weird we bought two defenders and then didn't play them. Loaning out Benk straight away seemed odd. And not playing Soyuncu seemed strange although understandable if he was having communication problems. It's a completely unfounded belief but I thought Rudkin went out and bought Benk and Soyuncu without conferring with Puel.

5 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Obi doesn't officially join us till July, so he's not an option at the moment

Ah, that explains why Ughelumba started at centre half and we played Luke Thomas at left back.

Surely this is a good time to shore up the u23 defence with either Amartey (still injured?) or Soyuncu until Hughes comes back from injury?

We ain't go anyone else otherwise. Sad for Ughelumba who was looking a real talent at left back.

Edited by Foxxed

31 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I did think it was a bit weird we bought two defenders and then didn't play them. Loaning out Benk straight away seemed odd. And not playing Soyuncu seemed strange although understandable if he was having communication problems. It's a completely unfounded belief but I thought Rudkin went out and bought Benk and Soyuncu without conferring with Puel.

Ah, that explains why Ughelumba started at centre half and we played Luke Thomas at left back.

Surely this is a good time to shore up the u23 defence with either Amartey (still injured?) or Soyuncu until Hughes comes back from injury?

We ain't go anyone else otherwise. Sad for Ughelumba who was looking a real talent at left back.

We must have been certain that United were gonna come back in for Maguire with a better bid. Gotta be the entire reason Benkovic went straight on loan.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

@Foxy-Lady has indicated Hughes is expected back imminently, so the main pairing will be Hughes and Pascanu, but yeah I don't understand why Soyuncu wasn't used last night and I would expect DA will get some game time as part of his recovery although I would expect that will most likely be at RB

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

What is going on with Soyuncu? That's looking like a big waste of money at the minute.

How the hell can you say that? He is 22 and played a handful of gamesTechnically we could have Soyoncu, Gray, Maddison, Benkovic, Tielemans, Choudry, Chilwell, Barnes and N’didi All of whom are under 23.....

16 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I disagree with this too, bit too soon to say it's a waste of money when the lad is barely into his 20's. Yes, he hasn't featured much this season, maybe surprisingly. And I can understand your doubt due to recent transfers (although most were "proven" players, not young talents, which didn't cut it in the PL - and they were probably also given limited chances, plus managers came and went).

I think there are reasons (maybe communication, understanding the gameplan etc) because Puel is not shy of putting young lads in the deep end.

I am sure he was brought in for Maguire leaving, which didn't happen but could have left us in a real dilemma had we not got cover. Benkovic has had a full season at a top club, Soyuncu has had a full season getting to know his team mates, tactics, language etc. Come next season when the inevitable happens and Maguire leaves and Wes' contract is up, we are left with Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic. His time will come. 

Bohemians hopeful of Ali Reghba return after young star returned from Leicester City trial
The teenage star was back training with the Gypsies last night

ByPaul O'Hehir
10:03, 6 FEB 2019
e
Bohemians are back in the mix to land Ali Reghba ahead of the new season.

The teenage star was back training with the Gypsies last night.

The highly rated 19-year-old made his senior breakthrough with Bohs last year, scoring twice on his debut in a 3-1 win away to St Pat’s in September.

A move to Premier League outfit Leicester City - where he impressed on trial last month - had been on the cards over the close season.

But a transfer failed to materialise, although it is understood the Foxes have not parked their interest in the Irish youth international.

While considerable compensation would be due to both Bohs and Shelbourne, Leicester may yet revive their interest in the summer.

Shamrock Rovers and St Patrick’s Athletic remain interested in Reghba, should he decide to stay in the League of Ireland.

And First Division promotion contenders Drogheda United have also expressed interest in the player.

But there is now fresh hope around Dalymount that Reghba could return to the Gypsies - even on a short-term arrangement until the summer.

Reghba could expect to start more first-team games at his former club than at Rovers or St Pat’s - and that is likely to be a decisive factor.

The Gypsies bolstered their attacking ranks last week by signing former Manchester United and Everton youth Sam Byrne after his release from Dundalk following injuries.

Manager Keith Long also has Dinny Corcoran, Ryan Swan - who missed last season with a cruciate injury - and Cristian Magerusan as forward options.

Eoghan Stokes, who left Bohs at the end of last season, signed for Derry City yesterday after a trial with Portuguese top flight side Boavista.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/bohemians-hopeful-ali-reghba-return-15787369

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

How the hell can you say that? He is 22 and played a handful of gamesTechnically we could have Soyoncu, Gray, Maddison, Benkovic, Tielemans, Choudry, Chilwell, Barnes and N’didi All of whom are under 23.....

I honestly cannot get my head around how it's confused so many people what I said. If he goes on to play a lot for us and is good then I think it's obviously a good signing. He's barely had a kick. This isn't me saying he's rubbish. I'm just not quite convinced it's worth the outlay especially when it's pretty clear to me we're cutting costs.

I just thought he'd have played a bit more considering this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I disagree with this too, bit too soon to say it's a waste of money when the lad is barely into his 20's. Yes, he hasn't featured much this season, maybe surprisingly. And I can understand your doubt due to recent transfers (although most were "proven" players, not young talents, which didn't cut it in the PL - and they were probably also given limited chances, plus managers came and went).

I think there are reasons (maybe communication, understanding the gameplan etc) because Puel is not shy of putting young lads in the deep end.

I am sure he was brought in for Maguire leaving, which didn't happen but could have left us in a real dilemma had we not got cover. Benkovic has had a full season at a top club, Soyuncu has had a full season getting to know his team mates, tactics, language etc. Come next season when the inevitable happens and Maguire leaves and Wes' contract is up, we are left with Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic. His time will come. 

If this all happens then I'm happy to say it was worth it. I'm just a bit cynical because like I said, it wouldn't be the first time we spent decent money on someone to hardly play them.

I thought he'd have played a bit more. That's all.

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I honestly cannot get my head around how it's confused so many people what I said. If he goes on to play a lot for us and is good then I think it's obviously a good signing. He's barely had a kick. This isn't me saying he's rubbish. I'm just not quite convinced it's worth the outlay especially when it's pretty clear to me we're cutting costs.

I just thought he'd have played a bit more considering this.

Who would you play him over?

If its Maguire or Evans when are you expecting to do this?

He's also played 7 times (including cups) and is our 4th choice which doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I agree with @Beechey that he was bought in to give us options if a huge big came in for Mags. Which IMO is good planning.

Edited by Bakey

5 minutes ago, Bakey said:

Who would you play him over?

If its Maguire or Evans when are you expecting to do this?

He's also played 7 times (including cups) and is our 4th choice which doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I agree with @Beechey that he was bought in to give us options if a huge big came in for Mags. Which IMO is good planning.

To be honest I've said all season I'd have played a back three, and in that instance I think he gets in. He's also quite quick which is something you can't say about any of our other centre halves.

If we did play a back three it would all make sense to me.

Given we don't I can't help but feel we could've spent it on another area. I'd get it if we had more money but I'm more and more getting the impression we're having to cut back.

I don't see the issue in having options but we are light in central midfield, out wide and up front. Given this I'm not sure we really had to do it. Not doubting at all he's a decent prospect but I'd have hoped to see him play a bit more.

19 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

If this all happens then I'm happy to say it was worth it. I'm just a bit cynical because like I said, it wouldn't be the first time we spent decent money on someone to hardly play them.

I thought he'd have played a bit more. That's all.

I see you point. Fingers crossed this one does work out. Maguire, Maddison, Ricardo are recent examples that worked out well, so there is hope on recent signings.

And generally the signings since Puel has taken over seem to be OK and at least have future potential if not already flourishing.