Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

22 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The academy has produced Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza. It can't be that bad. I doubt Rodgers has been here long enough to have an informed opinion yet.

Regardless of the results, are any of our players looking decent? Luke Thomas and Taveras have been playing a bit. Shade looked to have potential when he was last playing. Umghelumba looked very good albeit in left back where we put Luke Thomas. A fair few others were gaining speed, skill and confidence before this downturn.

Chilwell barely played in the U23's before he was out on loan and then in our first team, Barnes had half a season where he went from U18's in to the U23's and then on loan to MK Dons. Choudhury has played much more in the U23's and I thought looked nowhere near the required level until Puel gave him a chance in the first team and he has gone from strength to strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I would be quizzing Rodgers tonight on what he thinks of how the academy is currently ran. Get a couple of beers down him and then ask, hopefully he says what a lot of us think, Beaglehole is out of his depth.

Get some.....

BBC_News_UK_channel_new_look_19_March_2013.jpg.da668030b2f81bc3a2011a1144c71a19.jpg

• Haha 1

I would be quizzing Rodgers tonight on what he thinks of how the academy is currently ran. Get a couple of beers down him and then ask, hopefully he says what a lot of us think, Beaglehole is out of his depth.

In your dreams. He learned the hard way to hold his cards closer to his chest after getting burned for it at Liverpool. Sadly it also prevents him from teaching us his vision of the game.

Be interesting to hear about the Q&A tonight. Too bad they don't have pay per view for us heathens in the colonies. 

Interesting that I get a premonition every time I tap this topic. Always expect to see Mr.Beaglehole gone. Which makes me sad in a way as I don't like to see anyone lose their job.

As they say "one door shuts another door opens."

43 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The academy has produced Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza. It can't be that bad. I doubt Rodgers has been here long enough to have an informed opinion yet.

If I remember right all 3 of those - as well as some of the current u23 prospects - played under that foreign youth coach, Idiakez, I think, before he left us (forced out?). Chilwell certainly mentioned that period very positively in an interview a while back, in contrast to time spent playing under Beaglehole in the higher age groups.

From various snippets I've read on here from those more in the know, the academy's success is in spite of Beaglehole, not because of him.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Xen said:

If I remember right all 3 of those - as well as some of the current u23 prospects - played under that foreign youth coach, Idiakez, I think, before he left us (forced out?). Chilwell certainly mentioned that period very positively in an interview a while back, in contrast to time spent playing under Beaglehole in the higher age groups.

From various snippets I've read on here from those more in the know, the academy's success is in spite of Beaglehole, not because of him.

He wasn't forced out. He decided to follow Pearson.

I've heard the academy is success despite Beaglehole too.

I've seen no proof he's the monster he's claimed to be though.

But people do love to hate him.

I'm more interested in seeing the next generation of Chilwell, Barnes and Hamza, players I first say in the u23s.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

Chilwell barely played in the U23's before he was out on loan and then in our first team, Barnes had half a season where he went from U18's in to the U23's and then on loan to MK Dons. Choudhury has played much more in the U23's and I thought looked nowhere near the required level until Puel gave him a chance in the first team and he has gone from strength to strength.

Hamza always looked great in the u23s. Him and Barnes were the only exciting players a season or two ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Hamza always looked great in the u23s. Him and Barnes were the only exciting players a season or two ago.

See, I wasn't that impressed. Never thought he had what it took to be a PL player, he also didn't impress at Burton at a lower level. However, he has really thrived playing with better players in the PL and especially this season has looked more than capable. He has a great future here.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The fact he plays Loft says a lot about the style of play. BR said last night no lamp-posts.  So you assume changes will be made?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

See, I wasn't that impressed. Never thought he had what it took to be a PL player, he also didn't impress at Burton at a lower level. However, he has really thrived playing with better players in the PL and especially this season has looked more than capable. He has a great future here.

Really hope he makes it. It'll be great for the city to have two local lads who were born in the county, worked through our academy and then made it in the Premier League. Would make me proud of the city and the academy. People keep calling Taveras our Portguese youngster. But the kid's been in the city before he was double figures. He was playing for a local side before that. He's another local lad.

Hamza must either get game time or be loaned out to another Premier League team. Don't get me wrong, I'm more enjoying our attacking football now, but with Puel's three defensive midfielders Hamza had a real chance of breaking through. With the way Rodgers is playing now, Hamza would have to outst Mendy on the bench then get oust Ndidi on the pitch. That's a tall order. Either sell Mendy or loan out Hamza to a Premier League club.

• Like 2