Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Just now, FIF said:

i don't actually think he's any good but he certainly gets shit whatever he does - we're winning because we're playing 22 year olds, it's development of the youngsters that's important. We're losing because we're playing the youngsters get rid of the coach.

when someone suddenly does something that goes completely against what they normally do its usually because its forced on them, if he doesn't buy into the plan, the players will see that and poor performances usually follow

7 minutes ago, jamesmilner said:

The trialist is forced on him to play and he is useless . Virtually playing with 10 men !

Interestingly was listen to a podcast from a Birmingham based non league yesterday and he said that he’s never a prospect as good as Tyrese Shade 

5 minutes ago, dnewty said:

Can we get relegated or is it the bottom two ?

Pretty sure we're completely safe.

Maybe our lads are on the beach. Dewsbury hall deffo is.

32 minutes ago, FIF said:

But isn't he playing the kids that you've asked for all year?

Maybe he knew better that 18yo just can't compete with 23yo. Or maybe that ours are just not ready YET!

The whole gaff needs a huge overhaul. It's been the nucleus of the same tired coaches since our Championship and even League One days. For a club of our ambition and supposed investment in the academy we shouldn't have to use 22/23 year olds to shit house and compete at that level, it's not what it's for. 

What's the point in having the best facilities in the country and having an academy nowhere near that level? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The whole gaff needs a huge overhaul. It's been the nucleus of the same tired coaches since our Championship and even League One days. For a club of our ambition and supposed investment in the academy we shouldn't have to use 22/23 year olds to shit house and compete at that level, it's not what it's for. 

What's the point in having the best facilities in the country and having an academy nowhere near that level? 

I don't think you know what you're on about , last season was very good for the academy . 

• Haha 1

I don’t see the point of the u23s if they’re not in the 1st team squad by then they should be in the championship of lower whatever their level is playing grown up football.

We should have U21s with a few over age players.

It’s not as if it’s being used to keep the 1st team none players match fit like the old reserves used to.

• Like 2

I guess if you loan out your best two defenders, replace a very promising left back for a promising 18 year old, and replace a decent midfielder with a promising 18 year old and put an 18 year old on the wing then this is what you get. They are getting experience. And you can't accuse Beaglehole of only playing aging brusers. Or refusing to loan out players. Seems a bit of a turnaround for Beaglehole. When was the last time he played three 18 year olds in the u23s?

1 hour ago, jamesmilner said:

I don't think you know what you're on about , last season was very good for the academy . 

Enlighten me on how good it was. What's the point of all these 22 year olds who at best are going to play lower league professional football once we get rid. As I've said, the whole academy needs a huge shake up. It doesnt match the vision or ambition the club is promoting. 

Best training facilities in England being built, one of the most renown first team coaches in the country and owners who will strive to provide a platform to be a top 6 club and yet we have an academy being ran by the same mob for a decade or so. Doesnt compute.

• Like 4

...next season will be interesting. Will Beaglehole still be here, will the first team style be copied by the U23s.

Layton needs to go out on loan, he needs to get some consistent game time. My only worry with him is that his body language is not good. Not enough aggression and work ethic. Closing down the opponents back four on his own is a pointless task, we either close down front the front or learn to defend and go tight as they were passing between lines with a good 5 yards of space around the attackers.

We are a long way from the Arsenal players who were the same age, Beagleholes' next move will be interesting.

If this problem isn't solved at the end of the season I'll be surprised. We'll just have to be patient I suppose.

Whoever the club have in mind is not someone who will leave their present job in the middle of the season. Especially if some coaches are coming with him.

That's what makes me optimistic its going to be the right move.

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Enlighten me on how good it was. What's the point of all these 22 year olds who at best are going to play lower league professional football once we get rid. As I've said, the whole academy needs a huge shake up. It doesnt match the vision or ambition the club is promoting. 

Best training facilities in England being built, one of the most renown first team coaches in the country and owners who will strive to provide a platform to be a top 6 club and yet we have an academy being ran by the same mob for a decade or so. Doesnt compute.

U'23'S nearly won their league, U18's did well ,as did the youngsters and Barnes and Choudhury moved up . Please look at the top 6 Premier teams academies last season . Only Liverpool and Arsenal did better ,Man Utd came bottom ! Spurs , Chelsea ? LCFC academy last season played some nice stuff and did well , compared to any top 6's . Enlightening  done !

• Like 1

Ben Petty spoke about a two year cycle with the youngsters and how they were two 17 year olds on the pitch last match: https://www.lcfc.com/news/1199272/petty-this-experience-will-benefit-citys-youngsters

Not sure what all this two year cycle thing is all about but it definitely sounds like they have a plan and are intentionally sacrificing their league place to play the 18 and 17 year olds.

Sounds alright. My main concern is what had happened to Ughelumba who looked really promising but was turfed out to give Luke Thomas experience. I hope we loan out Ughelumba and keep developing Thomas.

• Like 2

Pointless spending Millions on a state of the art training centre if there is not a root and branch overhaul of all the coaches from Under 23’s down.  Changes needed. It’s all gone stale.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Pointless spending Millions on a state of the art training centre if there is not a root and branch overhaul of all the coaches from Under 23’s down.  Changes needed. It’s all gone stale.

Will these root and branch changes involve the coaches that developed our England u21 youngsters or just Sauron? If it's just Beaglehole then by what metric will we judge his successor? Beaglehole supposedly only plays big lads. We're now playing Connor Tee, a player so small you could fit four of him in an ikea kitchen cabinet. Beaglehole also apparently only plays older players. We played two 18 year old and two 17 year olds last match. Beaglehole also refuses to loan players out. We successfully loaned out our two best defenders over Christmas. Maybe Beaglehole's successor will have a great record with players leaving the academy. But we obviously exclude Barnes, Hamza and Chilwell since they slipped by Beaglehole's sincere attempts to hinder their development by loaning them out (except for Hamza) something I suppose he tried to stop but was overrulled by... someone. I honestly don't have any strong opinions on Beaglehole but in the spirit of a balanced debate I feel obliged to defending him otherwise you could rename this thread to "**** you Beaglehole" and you would not notice the difference.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Will these root and branch changes involve the coaches that developed our England u21 youngsters or just Sauron? If it's just Beaglehole then by what metric will we judge his successor? Beaglehole supposedly only plays big lads. We're now playing Connor Tee, a player so small you could fit four of him in an ikea kitchen cabinet. Beaglehole also apparently only plays older players. We played two 18 year old and two 17 year olds last match. Beaglehole also refuses to loan players out. We successfully loaned out our two best defenders over Christmas. Maybe Beaglehole's successor will have a great record with players leaving the academy. But we obviously exclude Barnes, Hamza and Chilwell since they slipped by Beaglehole's sincere attempts to hinder their development by loaning them out (except for Hamza) something I suppose he tried to stop but what overrulled by... someone. I honestly don't have any strong opinions on Beaglehole but in the spirit of a balanced debate I feel obliged to defending him otherwise you could rename this thread "**** you Beaglehole" and you would not notice the difference.

If anybody is going to blame anybody then the buck stops at the Director of Football and Academy Director Jon Rudkin. I could careless if the U -whatevers finish 0-40. Just provide me with players that can substitute and fill out the first team squad.  Occasionally coming up with Gem stones to sell on to Madrid for 80+ mil. If we can't make the academy a profit center then we are screwed.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

If anybody is going to blame anybody then the buck stops at the Director of Football and Academy Director Jon Rudkin. I could careless if the U -whatevers finish 0-40. Just provide me with players that can substitute and fill out the first team squad.  Occasionally coming up with Gem stones to sell on to Madrid for 80+ mil. If we can't make the academy a profit center then we are screwed.

Chilwell is worth north of 30 million surely. Barnes and Hamza will be worth a lot with a few seasons of experience. We haven't sold these players but they will be factored into our 'assets' on our books. I'm not sure how much the operating costs are for the academy but it's already added to the value of the club and squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamesmilner said:

U'23'S nearly won their league, U18's did well ,as did the youngsters and Barnes and Choudhury moved up . Please look at the top 6 Premier teams academies last season . Only Liverpool and Arsenal did better ,Man Utd came bottom ! Spurs , Chelsea ? LCFC academy last season played some nice stuff and did well , compared to any top 6's . Enlightening  done !

You raise some valid points but I've always felt in the last two seasons prior to this that we did well at U23 level due to being a physical team. The football they played was direct and in your face at best. Theres nothing wrong with that to an extent if that's the level of club we are or the style we adopt as a club but it isn't. Currently the academy seems ill fitting to the first team and the direction it is going with the new state of the art training ground and trying to be a top 6 club just doesn't compute.

It's certainly surprising that coaches like Beaglehole and Peake remain in charge at their respective levels despite the sheer shift in ambition and outlook of the club. Admirable that either we remain loyal to them for their service or that we are lucky enough that they are good enough to be the brains behind an academy that is part of a club like ours. If they arent the best, then why settle for them when we are gunning for the best facilities in the country and we are trying to steal a march on the elite clubs? Marginal gains by having a phenomenal academy and pathway for the first team to improve. Sadly nobody seems able to take Party Steve to task.

• Like 2

We produce  Chillwell a now established England regular.

Barnes and Hamza U21 internationals.

Pascanu was called up for the full Romanian team.

And others who have gained U21 call ups for their respective countries.

Add to that a whole  host out on loan and still have some very promising players coming through.

I would say compared to other so called top clubs that's an impressive return from our academy.

Surely the coach needs some respect and deserves his job. 

• Like 2