Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

On 07/05/2019 at 20:22, Foxy-Lady said:

Let us hope so as it was almost certainly their loan experience and NOT sitting in the PL2 U23s team trying to win a meaningless league that helped them develop more quickly than others

Personally, I think there is far more kudos to be gained by the club from evidencing academy players breaking into to the 1st team than there ever will be in Steve Beaglehole highlighting how well we are doing in the PL2 U23s league so we should DEFINETLY focus on player pathway and development and NOT where we finish in the development leagues...!

I assumed Steve was told to try to win the league to advertise the academy and our investment in it rather than Steve going for personal glory against the wishes to the club and development players. But after this season three Premier League England internationals is enough of an advertisement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, st albans fox said:

Or maybe Rama means ‘one down....... ( insert number) to go’ .....  re transfers  .....but not sure why it would be in this thread if he did ....

Hmmm I’m more of the opinion one of them has gone. Been waiting for it for a while, especially now we’ve got a manager who likes things his own way. 

Positive move if it is one of them. We should be getting an academy graduate in the first team once a year not in a big clump every 5-10 years. 

8 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

BEAGrudingly moved on 

Excellent! Plan in place for a new man or is it Ben to take charge? 

Just to add... fair play for the loyalty and some successes, but definitely time for a change, especially with new facilities on the way!

Edited by AjcW

Guest SO1

What the Hell is going on here.:) Codes, ITK, false witnesses, Spell it out for the moron please.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the time is right if Beaglehole has been moved on. Time for us to ramp it up a gear. 

How will we ramp it up? We're already playing 17 and 18 year olds.

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Complete overhaul in playing style and the journey from U18's to U23's happening much earlier. Get players out on loan earlier too and in to first team football where possible. 

Signs of what's to come did happen in the last few months but baring in mind that's never been Beaglehole's method was that demanded of him and in which case the writing was on the wall for him? 

Recruitment in the academy might need looking at too, I noticed Congerton's job title is Head of Senior Recruitment. I wonder if there's an Academy Recruitment honcho coming in too. 

Investing money in to the academy is very important, the model we as a club look to be operating is building the best training facilities in Europe and fill it with the best young players we can get our hands on and get the best coaches out there in improving young players. Rodgers is renown for being able to do that, now let's get some academy coaches in as well with a similar track record.

Since Beaglehole has now started transforming the pathway between the u18s and u23s I don't fancy sacking him for not doing something he's already done. I'm honestly not sure how many of players have good league 1 and championship loan clubs waiting for them. We know we can send the outstanding players - Barnes, Hamza, Chilwell, Knight, probably Thomas - and they'll break through to the first team in their loan club. But then there's players like Lestobah who could go on loan, sit on the bench, be surrounded by poor training facilities and rot. Look at Darnell's loan. He would have been better to stay in the u23s this season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Since Beaglehole has now started transforming the pathway between the u18s and u23s I don't fancy sacking him for not doing something he's already done. I'm honestly not sure how many of players have good league 1 and championship loan clubs waiting for them. We know we can send the outstanding players - Barnes, Hamza, Chilwell, Knight, probably Thomas - and they'll break through to the first team in their loan club. But then there's players like Lestobah who could go on loan, sit on the bench, be surrounded by poor training facilities and rot. Look at Darnell's loan. He would have been better to stay in the u23s this season

The style of football is archaic, he's been a good servant for the club but we've a lot of the same academy coaches dating back to our League One days. We have transformed beyond belief since then and this is inevitable or ought to be!

Your last bit is true, some of them are aged 19-22 and yet not even good enough to go on loan in League One yet we persist with them in our academy? What's the point? As I said, needs an overhaul and it's happening.

• Like 2

It's overdue to be honest if it's true. Got to respect him for how many years he's been here but if we are serious about progressing to another level (which the training ground suggests we are) then we've got to bring in people who fit that. Beaglehole's football isn't really conduisive to developing top youngsters and it's ruthless but we can and should upgrade really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The style of football is archaic, he's been a good servant for the club but we've a lot of the same academy coaches dating back to our League One days. We have transformed beyond belief since then and this is inevitable or ought to be!

Your last bit is true, some of them are aged 19-22 and yet not even good enough to go on loan in League One yet we persist with them in our academy? What's the point? As I said, needs an overhaul and it's happening.

I guess we persist with them in the academy because we either don't have good replacements or we want to eventually sell them: see Josh Gordon.

If Beaglehole's putting the younger guys in the team earlier and we're loaning players out then I have no issue with him, especially with our recent graduates, one of them playing in the u23s for most of his time. The style of football hardly seems archaic to me but if we can get a better coach - with as good as a CV - then fair enough.

• Like 1