Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Err The flag in the corner is actually the Flag of the UK

The Union Jack, or Union Flag, is the national flag of the United Kingdom. The flag also has a semi-official status in Canada, by parliamentary resolution, where it is known as the Royal Union Flag. Additionally, it is used as an official flag in some of the smaller British overseas territories.

255px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Name    Union Jack, Union Flag, British flag, UK flag
Use    National flag
Proportion    1:2
Adopted    1 January 1801; 218 years ago
Design    A white-fimbriated symmetric red cross on a blue field with a white-fimbriated counterchanged saltire of red and white.

210px-Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom

Variant flag of the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Use    Naval ensign
Proportion    1:2
Design    A symmetric red cross on a white field with the Union Flag in the canton. See White Ensign.

From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom

Can we have a Flag Pole  Poll?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Not sure where the Great Britain flag fits in the scheme of things unless the owner is a Brexit fan too?

Maybe there was a jumble sale of semaphore flags and this one at a Royal Naval Base....probably tried a banner from Austrian Flag first but it just didn't look right....

12 hours ago, LCFC1996 said:

Academy players called up for Internationals:

Lamine Kaba Sherif (Guinea U23)

Daniel Iversen (Denmark U21)

Viktor Johansson (Sweden U21)

Rhys Davies (Wales U21)

Alex Pascanu (Romania U21)

Lukas Husek (Czech Republic U19)

Luke Thomas (England U18)

3 Goalkeepers in there with Iversen, Johansson & Davies

Thanks for this.

I don't even know Rhys Davies, can't remember him playing in the U23s. How old is he? Any info on position, style, skill level?

We do have some good young GKs - another reason I'd be happy to see Kasper fulfill his dream of playing for a big club next season. We have the depth and they need to play.

16 minutes ago, FIF said:

Thanks for this.

I don't even know Rhys Davies, can't remember him playing in the U23s. How old is he? Any info on position, style, skill level?

We do have some good young GKs - another reason I'd be happy to see Kasper fulfill his dream of playing for a big club next season. We have the depth and they need to play.

None of those goalkeepers are premier league standard. Iversen is the most advanced and he's only playing in league 2 where his team currently lie fifteenth. There's no way any would be premier league standard by next season. Give them all a couple of season then sure but next season nah.

13 hours ago, LCFC1996 said:

Academy players called up for Internationals:

Lamine Kaba Sherif (Guinea U23)

Daniel Iversen (Denmark U21)

Viktor Johansson (Sweden U21)

Rhys Davies (Wales U21)

Alex Pascanu (Romania U21)

Lukas Husek (Czech Republic U19)

Luke Thomas (England U18)

3 Goalkeepers in there with Iversen, Johansson & Davies

None of those 3 goalkeepers were developed through our Academy system,

They were all signed on a pro contracts from other clubs....and Davies has barely featured in any games since his arrival so I suspect his call up is might actually be related to LCFC trying to recoup some of the money they paid when his contract expires this summer by giving him some international credibility as my understanding is that one of the LCFC Academy goalkeeper coaches is actually also employed on a part-time basis by the Welsh U21 FA.

Seems very odd that Davies isn't considered good enough to play for LCFC U23s yet without any meaningful game time or exposure, he manages to secure an international call-up...?!?

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

Maybe there was a jumble sale of semaphore flags and this one at a Royal Naval Base....probably tried a banner from Austrian Flag first but it just didn't look right....

Maybe we need a thread on Flags...

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

None of those goalkeepers are premier league standard. Iversen is the most advanced and he's only playing in league 2 where his team currently lie fifteenth. There's no way any would be premier league standard by next season. Give them all a couple of season then sure but next season nah.

Ward is premier league standard, he'd be the starting goalkeeper.  From what I've seen of Iversen and Johansson either of them could be our back-up goalkeeper - which means playing in the FA and league cup against lower league opposition.  Their skills are good enough do you think that their reflexes are too slow? Or what makes you say they couldn't play as back-up gks? 

After all we had Conrad and more recently Jakupovic as back-up goalkeepers.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

Ward is premier league standard, he'd be the starting goalkeeper.  From what I've seen of Iversen and Johansson either of them could be our back-up goalkeeper - which means playing in the FA and league cup against lower league opposition.  Their skills are good enough do you think that their reflexes are too slow? Or what makes you say they couldn't play as back-up gks? 

And hamer - can’t you see the issue with what you posted - none of them are of a sufficent standard to be reliable back up  

there is no evidence that DW is a competent PL keeper as he hasn’t had proper opportunities at either lpool or here - hopefully he is 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And hamer - can’t you see the issue with what you posted - none of them are of a sufficent standard to be reliable back up  

there is no evidence that DW is a competent PL keeper as he hasn’t had proper opportunities at either lpool or here - hopefully he is 

So you get the point? High quality backup is not really the question.

Of course their is evidence of DW's ability but it's a silly argument anyway as with your reasoning only PL gks would get PL games and when they died we'd have no replacements. 

You could also use your argument to not bring Maddison or Barnes or in fact any player into the team - because they have never had PL opportunities to prove themselves.... 

13 minutes ago, FIF said:

Of course their is evidence of DW's ability but it's a silly argument anyway as with your reasoning only PL gks would get PL games and when they died we'd have no replacements. 

You could also use your argument to not bring Maddison or Barnes or in fact any player into the team - because they have never had PL opportunities to prove themselves.... 

Or they could just leave. Unless we're handing out contracts for life now?

8 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

Or they could just leave. Unless we're handing out contracts for life now?

Yep Huth, Graham Cross and John Sjoberg are to honored with 12 months contract for services rendered. Loads of money...

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Both are better than Jakupovic from what I've seen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I think we forked our 12 mill on a backup keeper because we disnt want another Conrad. One big keeper injury and if the youngsters aren’t up to scratch we could be in a huge muddle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Not convinced Iversen is good enough for backup this year or next. He needs another loan in league 1 or the championship first. Ward is prem standard though yeah.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FIF said:

Spot on...!   This is the same 'warped' logic that has held back so many talented youngsters in English Football for so many years....and will probably continue to do so! 

Hopefully the example of Marcus Rashford (& Jadon Sancho in Germany) might someday break that mindset as he only ever got his chance to play because of an injury crisis and would probably not have had that opportunity otherwise due to his "lack of PL experience". 

I think we all know what happened next...!.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Spot on...!   This is the same 'warped' logic that has held back so many talented youngsters in English Football for so many years....and will probably continue to do so! 

Hopefully the example of Marcus Rashford (& Jadon Sancho in Germany) might someday break that mindset as he only ever got his chance to play because of an injury crisis and would probably not have had that opportunity otherwise due to his "lack of PL experience". 

I think we all know what happened next...!.

In hindsight I fear we’ve missed good opportunities to promote some of our talented youth... I wasn’t calling for these youth to be called up at the time, this is just my opinion, looking back.. 

We could have promoted Ndukwu instead of signing Kapustka or Diabate

We could have promoted any 4 of our CB’s instead of signing Soyuncu

Dewsbury-Hall instead of Iborra...

Eppiah instead of Kelechi..

There are probably more examples.

This summer, will Rodgers buck the trend? Will he insist.. someone like Tavares gets a place in the squad, or will we go and spend another 20mill on someone. 

If we don’t change our mindset, in a few years we will be spending 20mill on some winger who blocks Terrel Pennants pathway to the first team. The cycle continues. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

In hindsight I fear we’ve missed good opportunities to promote some of our talented youth... I wasn’t calling for these youth to be called up at the time, this is just my opinion, looking back.. 

We could have promoted Ndukwu instead of signing Kapustka or Diabate

We could have promoted any 4 of our CB’s instead of signing Soyuncu

Dewsbury-Hall instead of Iborra...

Eppiah instead of Kelechi..

There are probably more examples.

This summer, will Rodgers buck the trend? Will he insist.. someone like Tavares gets a place in the squad, or will we go and spend another 20mill on someone. 

If we don’t change our mindset, in a few years we will be spending 20mill on some winger who blocks Terrel Pennants pathway to the first team. The cycle continues. 

It's quite likely that most of these would have failed to step up, in all fairness. We shouldn't cease to make all transfers because it might block youth development.

• 3 weeks later...