Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Big clubs are big worldwide brands. We're not.

Big clubs make big money from sponsorship, merchandise, season ticket sales, hospitality etc. We don't

Big clubs can attract the best players in the world and pay them £400-500k per week. We can't

We may not be a worldwide brand just yet but everyone I talk to here in Peru has heard of us and knows a few of our players. Never thought I would see the day!

Edited by Saigon Fox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chapero82 said:

But 13th biggest city in UK 

9AF8FC35-D192-4E03-B29F-DED2D1611619.png

In fairness, though:

London - countless clubs

Manchester - 2 (+ Bury, Stockport, Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Rochdale all in Greater Manc)

Birmingham - 4 (+ Walsall & Coventry)

Leeds - 2 (Although the other is only Bradford)

Glasgow - 2

Southampton and Portsmouth are 2

Liverpool - 2 (+ Tranmere)

Sheffield - 2

Bristol - 2

Nottingham - 2

So you only really have Leicester and Newcastle on that list in which there is only one team. I'll give you Leeds and Nottingham as well because Notts County and Bradford barely register.

My point is that our population is up there when you consider most other big cities have their footballing population divided by multiple clubs. So I don't think it's the size of the City holding us back. 

Old data but I thought this was really interesting. I think it supports my previous points in that we have the benefit of comparatively undivided attention to the one local team in our City. 

Probably shows that to become truly big you just have to appeal to the neutral. That comes with history and United, Liverpool and Arsenal will always be the big 3. Then you have Chelsea, Man City, and Spurs. There's no reason why the 'big 6' can't become the 'big 7'.

Edited by Nod.E

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Don't think we'll ever be a big club. We're not in a big city and we don't have the history. We're destined to be a medium sized club for ever.

Birmingham is a big city, but they don't have a big club. Which is to say, "currently". Aston Villa a big club, but I'd rather be us. Same with Leeds. Bristol is a huge city, but have never had a big club.

Conversely, until Abramovich took over Chelsea were a team much like us... few cup successes, but regular periods in the 2nd tier. Also we hold the record for most titles at that level, jointly with... Man City.

Once upon a time, they were yoyo clubs like us, but it doesn't always have to be that way. Also look to Leeds, Aston Villa and Bolton to see how regularly top level contenders can fall from glory.

If none of the above were true, might as well bin football now.

• Like 3

I understand that we are not a big club as yet but I would like to get to the stage where clubs like Man U can't just decide that they will sign Maguire cause he had a great world cup.

I truly believe that we need European football on a regular basis to keep our good players and attract the good young prospects.

• Like 2

Big clubs are clubs with the resources to win at the highest level.  "The only way to win things nowadays is to have a global fan base (like Manchester United), a billionaire owner (like Manchester City and Chelsea, clubs of a similar historical status to Leeds) or to play in London, the city with the highest ticket prices on earth."  Increasingly, it requires two out of the three, unless you substitute "oil-rich country" for "billionaire".  There is always wiggle room in the short run -- and LCFC showed the outer limit.  But measured over 10 seasons, the correlation between a club’s revenues and its average league position is about 90 per cent.

History counts in perception.  But perception is merely subjective.  Take Villa or Newcastle or Leeds, who play in large grounds and retain much of their “big club” identity in the hearts of their fans.  Those fanbases are localized, and do not supply worldwide TV eyeballs or merch sales, nor drive lucrative sponsorships.  They cling to historic highs that have little meaning elsewhere.  They can adjust expectations or continue to live in the past.  Many choose the latter, which is harmless; debate them about "big clubs" if you enjoy the argument.  But finance -- i.e. sustained revenues -- determines big clubs today and for the foreseeable future.

JustBiz.JPG.b83e31374678e3269e7a0e71ac0f999a.JPG

quote from Fallen Angels, Financial Times 2/9/18.

Consistent appearances in CL

Stadium expansion along with filling it

Massive consistent spending year on year.

We had the chance after we won the title to increase our statue but blew it.

One isolated title win wont do it.

Mind you forest in terms of capacity, attendance are very similar to ourselves, have much lower revenue, but because of a few good seasons in the clough era are still considered a bigger club than us by many people.  If we had won the CL we probably would have got ourselves into the forest meld.

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I understand that we are not a big club as yet but I would like to get to the stage where clubs like Man U can't just decide that they will sign Maguire cause he had a great world cup.

I truly believe that we need European football on a regular basis to keep our good players and attract the good young prospects.

The repercussions of letting mahrez go is of course our other players will all now be seen as available, me been against the sale of mahrez was also related to our ability to hold onto players like maguire.

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

This....it's frustrating to have a big club come in and pluck your best players after a good season or two. But the player also has to want to leave for supposedly greener pastures.  If Mahrez wanted to finish his career with Leicester, he'd still be on the roster. 

To me the only hope would be changing to a salary cap model like the NBA and NFL or if that doesn't happen then you do need European football on a regular basis and more pressure placed on the manager to get results.  At the same time it's up to management and ownership to sell the 'in house' stars on their vision for the club so maybe they're more interested in staying.  Very, very hard to do, but that's the reality I think.

A salary cap would force every team to make better choices on players they acquire, even up the talent gaps and actually raise the value of all the franchises (because wages would be more of a fixed cost.)  But it would be hard to implement - the big clubs would be against it and EPL clubs would be placed at a disadvantage in the CL compared to the rich Spanish, Italian and German clubs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vestan Pance said:

The first step would be employing on of the top managers, then the players will follow.

Again, see your point and agree with it slightly but even that can go tits up (pardon the expression) as was the case with Sven when we had supposedly "top players", all be it at Championship level.

The question irks me, but I'll try to be polite. Ultimately, a shift in perception would be down to the prevalent media deciding to 'allow' that alteration in belief to take hold. In much the same way that we are told (repeatedly, in subtle, and not-so-subtle ways) who is and isn't fit to be Prime Minister. Blair - whatever one thinks of him, and I'm not offering that opinion - could only become PM because the dominant press gave him the say so.

I will now stop before I become utterly cynical and angry at 8.13am...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

In fairness, though:

London - countless clubs

Manchester - 2 (+ Bury, Stockport, Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Rochdale all in Greater Manc)

Birmingham - 4 (+ Walsall & Coventry)

Leeds - 2 (Although the other is only Bradford)

Glasgow - 2

Southampton and Portsmouth are 2

Liverpool - 2 (+ Tranmere)

Sheffield - 2

Bristol - 2

Nottingham - 2

So you only really have Leicester and Newcastle on that list in which there is only one team. I'll give you Leeds and Nottingham as well because Notts County and Bradford barely register.

My point is that our population is up there when you consider most other big cities have their footballing population divided by multiple clubs. So I don't think it's the size of the City holding us back. 

Old data but I thought this was really interesting. I think it supports my previous points in that we have the benefit of comparatively undivided attention to the one local team in our City. 

Probably shows that to become truly big you just have to appeal to the neutral. That comes with history and United, Liverpool and Arsenal will always be the big 3. Then you have Chelsea, Man City, and Spurs. There's no reason why the 'big 6' can't become the 'big 7'.

Good post!  There is no doubt that we are trying to appeal to the neutral and people further afield, the challenge is producing a brand and style of play that appeal to the masses.

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The question irks me, but I'll try to be polite. Ultimately, a shift in perception would be down to the prevalent media deciding to 'allow' that alteration in belief to take hold. In much the same way that we are told (repeatedly, in subtle, and not-so-subtle ways) who is and isn't fit to be Prime Minister. Blair - whatever one thinks of him, and I'm not offering that opinion - could only become PM because the dominant press gave him the say so.

I will now stop before I become utterly cynical and angry at 8.13am...

Correct..The media play an awfully big role in all of this also.  

Even our name Leicester CITY doesn't help us when Manchester City are continually referred to as CITY even in and article solely about Leicester City and Manchester City.

Maybe we should have changed to Fosse which was suggested to improve our uniqueness and thus our marketing strength.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

Even our name Leicester CITY doesn't help us when Manchester City are continually referred to as CITY even in and article solely about Leicester City and Manchester City.

Maybe we should have changed to Fosse which was suggested to improve our uniqueness and thus our marketing strength.

Hasn't helped Leyton Orient.

Just now, Webbo said:

Hasn't helped Leyton Orient.

Would anything help Leyton Orient?

We'll never know because it's too late now besides were more likely to end up being called...

Leicester KP

Leicester Kng Power

King Power Leicester

KP Leicester

Take your pick or make your own up.

11 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Wot ?! Bristol City have one 3rd Div title and a Johnstone Paint trophy in their enire history. Wigan have more history.

It took far longer than it should have done for someone to seriously question that statement lol

13 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

As the title suggests I'm interested to know the views of forum members as to how we (or any other club for that matter) make the jump into the realms of a "big club"?  I currently get slightly irked when pundits and ex professionals call our players out to move to a "big club".  We are already seeing the decimation of our title winning team, so I'm curious as to how we can stop this happening in the future?

How do we turn ourselves into a big club without players wanting to jump ship?

To me it seems like a catch 22 situation.  You can only attract the best players if you are winning trophies and paying high wages, but you can only win trophies regularly if you have the top players and pay high wages!

Your views would be appreciated.

Correct,we missed the boat after winning te league by signing a load of two bobbers.

The club had a chance to be one but blow it. For all the praise that the owners get for being ruthless, they were soft as sh*t. Since the title-winning season, I had my say about Wes, Marc, Simmo, Drinky, and Shinji. I said they were limited, I said that they will drag us down and I also said that the team was being dragged to a title by 3 of the top-5 performers that season. tbf, the others performed well but only Mahrez, Vards, and Kante could make the starting-11 of the top 6.  

They management sabotaged the dream by asking too much from Vards and Riyad. They didn't buy an attacking RB For 3 years! 3 BLOODY YEARS! Vards is best when he has the support of Riyad, so, when Riyad is isolated, It not only affect him but also Vardy.  

Our weaknesses were known but they have chosen to ignore them. Even after Kante left, Why didn't get a proper replacement? Gueye was there for the taking but they bought Mendy. 

Edited by the fox