Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

Big clubs are big worldwide brands. We're not.

Big clubs make big money from sponsorship, merchandise, season ticket sales, hospitality etc. We don't

Big clubs can attract the best players in the world and pay them £400-500k per week. We can't

Jesus, this is quite the can of worms...

This question will never be answered because people have different view on what makes a club "big".

Plus there are some pretty delusional people on here that would argue that because Real Madrid play in a "lesser league" and we won the BPL, we are the bigger club...

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Big clubs are big worldwide brands. We're not.

Big clubs make big money from sponsorship, merchandise, season ticket sales, hospitality etc. We don't

Big clubs can attract the best players in the world and pay them £400-500k per week. We can't

Do you think this will/can ever change though?  Can we EVER make the jump?

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

Non taken mate.  So are Wednesday, Leeds and Bristol City bigger clubs than us in your opinion?

When I was growing up they were probably equal I think. However. our Owners have unleashed the potential and we are fortunately one step ahead now. Leicester have always been bubbling just below the so called top clubs. You only have to see how easily we sold out tickets in the play-off era and look at the away support in the seventies to realise this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I very much doubt it. 

Like Webbo said, we'll always be a medium sized provisional club.

The only chance we possibly had was if we'd have won the CL but even then we just don't have the infrastructure or fan base.

Who wants to be a big club anyway? It's much more fun being little old Leicester who upset the big boys once in a while...

I see your point.  It's just more fun challenging at the top end than the bottom,

Do you think we've probably reached our level then?  (mid table prem team, challenging for Europa league)

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Big clubs = revenue = spending power

We're about as big as anyone outside the the obvious six but still a light year behind them.

So are we saying it's virtually impossible for us to challenge the big powerhouses in the near future? 

4 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

I see your point.  It's just more fun challenging at the top end than the bottom,

Do you think we've probably reached our level then?  (mid table prem team, challenging for Europa league)

Yep I think so, for the foreseeable future.

That's why our PL win was so special and a complete one off that probably won't happen again in my lifetime.

If we ever win the FA Cup we've completed English football and not many teams can say that.

We might one day get a sniff at the top 4 if we're lucky but qualifying for the Europa League is still a fine achievement in my book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yep I think so, for the foreseeable future.

That's why our PL win was so special and a complete one off that probably won't happen again in my lifetime.

If we ever win the FA Cup we've completed English football and not many teams can say that.

We might one day get a sniff at the top 4 if we're lucky but qualifying for the Europa League is still a fine achievement in my book.

I think I'm with you.  I think it's just a food chain and we are somewhere near the top half but we still get eaten by the sharks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

No offence mate. Might just be an age thing. Sheff Wednesay, Leeds and Bristol City are also giants waiting to be woken up. 

Wot ?! Bristol City have one 3rd Div title and a Johnstone Paint trophy in their enire history. Wigan have more history.

• Like 1

We aren't a big club and need to be realistic that we aren't. The amount of wishful thinking that goes on surrounding transfer in's and out's does my head in. There are clubs that can offer more money or better opportunities at trophies than we can.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DannyN83 said:

There will always be a "bigger" club no matter if your Leicester, Liverpool, Utd...  Maybe be Barca/Real as the exception, hence why the debate will never be settled.

Good point.  Even the so called "big clubs" lose top players I guess (Man utd-Ronaldo, Liverpool-Suarez, Torres & Coutinho, Arsenal-Sanchez, Van Persie)

• Like 1

I think that we have been on an upward trajectory ever since the Thais took over.  Not just in terms of results but in terms of growing the club.  I think we will reach our ceiling at a level just behind Everton around 7th or 8th.  The challenge would then be to consolidate.  We could easily slide back down again.  Rubbing shoulders with the top six is probably beyond us.

It helps us that so many traditional big clubs like Villa and Leeds are in the doldrums at the moment and the PL has so many minnows like Brighton and Huddersfield.

• Like 2

Guest Harrydc

I believe that we can be considered since firstly we won the league and secondly getting to the 1/4 finals in the champions league . 

Also, a small club wouldn't be selling players for £60M and have teams such as Man Utd and Man City perusing our main centre back. I know it's biased but any one that says we are not a big club now is a little deluded. The whole world knows who we are ....

end of discussion lol 

Some on here don’t consider Spurs a big club. Some don’t even think Man City are so there’s no chance we ever become a ‘big club’. We’re Leicester, we’re one of the 15 or so reasonably sized clubs who all alternate fairly often - what matters is we’re the best we can be.

Championship clubs wank themselves silly over over being big clubs but they’re meaningless words if you don’t back it up on the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

That's misleading... it combines cities. Leicester is actually 7th in England.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/united-kingdom-population/cities/

7th largest locality. 

City populations are divided in several different ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_England_by_population