Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Even our name Leicester CITY doesn't help us when Manchester City are continually referred to as CITY even in and article solely about Leicester City and Manchester City.

Maybe we should have changed to Fosse which was suggested to improve our uniqueness and thus our marketing strength.

The CITY thing is being pushed by Sky just like United was for Man United. 

Just now, Ashley said:

The CITY thing is being pushed by Sky just like United was for Man United. 

Even Nevile Foulger back in the day when commentating on LCFC v Cov, Bristol etc referred to them as the City used to really piss me off listening to his commentary.

Manchester City were NOT a big club 15 years ago.

Anyone can be a big club these days... it just takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Manchester City were NOT a big club 15 years ago.

Anyone can be a big club these days... it just takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Man City wernt a big club 9 years ago. 

Amazing what Money can do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

The 2 new big clubs (Man City and PSG) didn't only have money, but also a strategic geographical position. One is in Paris while the other is in Manchester.

Somehow I doubt players are enthused for Manchester, it is the money that's talking, both  Man United and now Man City can just throw money at players and both say they have the ambition to win trophies unlike poor old Oldham who have tumbled down the leagues since their top flight days.

19 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Somehow I doubt players are enthused for Manchester, it is the money that's talking, both  Man United and now Man City can just throw money at players and both say they have the ambition to win trophies unlike poor old Oldham who have tumbled down the leagues since their top flight days.

You may or may not be correct who really knows why players pick a certain club but irrespective of that the City of Leicester has a strong parochial feel to it and to many outsiders is second to the home of Robin (never existed) Hood.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

You may or may not be correct who really knows why players pick a certain club but irrespective of that the City of Leicester has a strong parochial feel to it and to many outsiders is second to the home of Robin (never existed) Hood.

Were the home of the King under the car park, modern news and a modern draw, plus we recently won the Prem. 

If we build on that, stay news worthy then players know about us but we have to stay and improve our standing in the Prem, so we are not considered a flash in the pan.

We obviously cant yet compete with the top clubs spending power but we do have some decent financial muscle for a club that spent so long out of the top flight.

15 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Were the home of the King under the car park, modern news and a modern draw, plus we recently won the Prem. 

If we build on that, stay news worthy then players know about us but we have to stay and improve our standing in the Prem, so we are not considered a flash in the pan.

We obviously cant yet compete with the top clubs spending power but we do have some decent financial muscle for a club that spent so long out of the top flight.

I think you're right to a large extent, you must promote well what you've got  but,  when you actually visit Leicester, apart from a few 'the same as anywhere else' restaurants and shops around the Highcross, the place is an absolute shit hole with a very few decent places to go scummy nightlife. Derby pretty similar if not worse, but Sheffield and Nottingham much better.

Leicestershire is a nice though in the process of being spoiled with over building.  Leicester itself will change little and get worse. A player would only come here for the money and as a stepping stone as I see it. 

15 hours ago, Webbo said:

Don't think we'll ever be a big club. We're not in a big city and we don't have the history. We're destined to be a medium sized club for ever.

Not sure how much being in a big city matters anymore, what with tv audience making up the majority of the modern fan base. Obviously could have an impact on drawing in star players, but beyond that I don't think it's as significant as it once was.

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I don't think the size of the city limits us. Green Bay in the US punch above the size of their city.

American Football is completely different financially and player make up.

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you're right to a large extent, you must promote well what you've got  but,  when you actually visit Leicester, apart from a few 'the same as anywhere else' restaurants and shops around the Highcross, the place is an absolute shit hole with a very few decent places to go scummy nightlife. Derby pretty similar if not worse, but Sheffield and Nottingham much better.

Leicestershire is a nice though in the process of being spoiled with over building.  Leicester itself will change little and get worse. A player would only come here for the money and as a stepping stone as I see it. 

Same could be said about a large portion of all top-flight clubs, there's only a handful of teams that you can truly call a pinnacle in terms of a footballing career - Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atlético, Juventus, Bayern München, Dortmund, Manchester United, Manchester City, PSG. That's where the money is.

And in case you can't make it there, there's still the MLS.

What speaks for Leicester is its central location, the proximity to London, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester, plus the city and shire have come up with some efforts to rejuvenate the city center and surroundings. I also think the scenery to be quite refreshing and soothing, lots of parks and forests and laid-back places to visit in all four directions.

None of these efforts will have a truly immediate effect, but in combination and seen over time, I think Leicester and Leics can get even better.

Edited by MC Prussian

They are one of the top 15 richest clubs in the world, they have good talent and (my opinion) are starting to be positioned as a club that would be inviting to any young English footballer hoping to make it to the national team.  Granted not a top 6 - but that's a heck of a position to be working from.  Expecting European football annually is within their reach.  And I do think that if you run your organization the right way (think buy low/sell high vs their experience with the Slimani's of the world) and have a manager who's up to the task it is possible to consistently punch above your weight.

So in response to an earlier post that said they've blown it - I don't think they have - yet.  But they need to do better than last season - consistently.  If they can keep McGuire around for a while, that would help. But Claude needs to produce results - and that means better than 9th place.

11 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

They are one of the top 15 richest clubs in the world, they have good talent and (my opinion) are starting to be positioned as a club that would be inviting to any young English footballer hoping to make it to the national team.  Granted not a top 6 - but that's a heck of a position to be working from.  Expecting European football annually is within their reach.  And I do think that if you run your organization the right way (think buy low/sell high vs their experience with the Slimani's of the world) and have a manager who's up to the task it is possible to consistently punch above your weight.

So in response to an earlier post that said they've blown it - I don't think they have - yet.  But they need to do better than last season - consistently.  If they can keep McGuire around for a while, that would help. But Claude needs to produce results - and that means better than 9th place.

:blink:

And again, we're not one of the 15th richest clubs in the world, the numbers either refer to our overall value and/or our revenue, and that's down to subjective and varying estimations.

Edited by MC Prussian

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

:blink:

And again, we're not one of the 15th richest clubs in the world, the numbers either refer to our overall value and/or our revenue, and that's down to subjective and varying estimations.

Deloitte is not a reliable source?  https://read.bi/2JnMQaI  My point is though that they're not in such a bad financial position as to have more ambition.

Edited by TeaMen Tom

1 minute ago, TeaMen Tom said:

Deloitte is not a reliable source?  https://read.bi/2JnMQaI

Like I said, the numbers either refer to our overall value and/or our revenue, and that's down to subjective and varying estimations.

It's not about the net worth. If only people would stop to perpetrate that misinformation.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

The premier league is so rich that any team in it is in the top 40. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Same could be said about a large portion of all top-flight clubs, there's only a handful of teams that you can truly call a pinnacle in terms of a footballing career - Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atlético, Juventus, Bayern München, Dortmund, Manchester United, Manchester City, PSG. That's where the money is.

And in case you can't make it there, there's still the MLS.

What speaks for Leicester is its central location, the proximity to London, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester, plus the city and shire have come up with some efforts to rejuvenate the city center and surroundings. I also think the scenery to be quite refreshing and soothing, lots of parks and forests and laid-back places to visit in all four directions.

None of these efforts will have a truly immediate effect, but in combination and seen over time, I think Leicester and Leics can get even better.

Yes I think your largely right. When Madrid et al come calling even Man United and Liverpool have to sell. With us though, despite our Premiership win, I believe we're a lot further down the ladder. Foreign players rightly or wrongly will look first to London clubs and then obvious names like United or Liverpool etc. The rejuvenation in Leicester  as far as it goes,  is ok but still of toytown proportions and outside of that, Belgrave Gate, Haymarket,  Gallowtree Gate and surrounding areas are starting to get delapidated and dying on its arse (including business ). People flock more to outside areas now to shop or even online rather than experience the Leicester city centre. The county is lovely in places but Leicester for a night out ... really?

Because of Uni, my daughter is currently living in York and even full of high spirited Christmas revellers, wow what a difference. No drunken scum pissing up walls, no threatening atmosphere, drunks and druggies lying round in doorways even in the morning. Not knocking unfortunate down and outs but what does our city do to help them? Immigration, without getting into it too politically is also a problem. My daughter is no shrinking violet but apart from Mosh, most of the rest of Leicester compared to other places is a total dive and her and her many mates don't venture much further. As for being central, commuting to wherever from Birmingham , Nottingham and Sheffield is not difficult and more than makes up for living in the tip that is Leicester. Whilst our Mayor no doubt takes the paudits for the lucky for him King Richard regeneration, he is also reponsible for the other mess and the general degradetion of our city. Bigger cities like Birmingham have different areas to chose from and frequent of course in fairness.

I must be an eternal pessimist as far from seeing Leicester getting better over a period of time, in the hands of our self seeking all fur coat and no knickers politicians, I see Leicester going drastically down hill.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Wot ?! Bristol City have one 3rd Div title and a Johnstone Paint trophy in their enire history. Wigan have more history.

Depends how you judge "big". I said that Bristol City is a giant waiting to be woken up, based on their support when I was younger. Maybe they've been out of the big time for too long now and Bristolian kids are probably Man Utd fans now. Either way they are still "bigger" than Wigan. 

Edited by l444ry

13 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Good post!  There is no doubt that we are trying to appeal to the neutral and people further afield, the challenge is producing a brand and style of play that appeal to the masses.

Those population figures are for conurbations so Nottingham takes in Derby.Newcastles takes in Sunderland.Manchester is actually quite small but when you add in the surrounding towns It 

makes itself look 8 times bigger.Birmingham is Britain’s 2nd City with a population of just over a million.

Has anyone mentioned the Waitrose brigade down the road.It shouldn’t be forgotten that the Tigers support is equivalent to a

very decent Championship club.I accept that a couple of thousand probably watch both but on the whole it’s a very different fan base.

When they get round to finally rebuilding all four sides of the ground,Welford Road wouldn’t look out of place in any top league.

On 13/07/2018 at 21:30, pazzerfox said:

Non taken mate.  So are Wednesday, Leeds and Bristol City bigger clubs than us in your opinion?

I would classify Sheffield Wednesday as a bigger club than Leicester,at least potentially.At the minute though we are years ahead.In the eighties Forest we’re light years ahead of us.They had a great recent record,they had bigger crowds,they had the shiny new Brian Clough stand,they had cash coming out their ears.

We had our Filbo and three pence in the bank.Even in the nineties when we got promoted in 94 together, they got Collymore and Bryan Roy.We got an untried Mark Draper and Nicky Mohan ?

Derby had a load of cash thrown at them aswell in the early nineties.I never thought we would ever catch up but we did.So just enjoy the ride because eventually the likes of Leeds and Wednesday will be looking down on us again.

Three years in the prem changes everything.That and good owners.

O bigger capacity would help aswell

Just my opinion but based on location alone there are a good few players who would pick Bournemouth, Nice, Seville, West Ham, Napoli, possibly Fulham, Valencia, Monaco, Over living in the leafy East Midlands......not saying I agree with it, but there is an element of reality in players living where they choose to....

43 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I would classify Sheffield Wednesday as a bigger club than Leicester,at least potentially.At the minute though we are years ahead.In the eighties Forest we’re light years ahead of us.They had a great recent record,they had bigger crowds,they had the shiny new Brian Clough stand,they had cash coming out their ears.

We had our Filbo and three pence in the bank.Even in the nineties when we got promoted in 94 together, they got Collymore and Bryan Roy.We got an untried Mark Draper and Nicky Mohan ?

Derby had a load of cash thrown at them aswell in the early nineties.I never thought we would ever catch up but we did.So just enjoy the ride because eventually the likes of Leeds and Wednesday will be looking down on us again.

Three years in the prem changes everything.That and good owners.

O bigger capacity would help aswell

It will be a while before Leeds or Wednesday are looking down on us. Neither club is very well run and both have a dismal future.